Muster stations

I'm curious...how will you know which rooms have which muster stations when you plan your cruise?

currently, you don't. and there is no real way to find out unless somebody volunteers to organize the Great Muster Station Drill Location Scavenger Hunt and enlists the aid of every single CC member in reporting that information for every cabin on every ship from every cruiseline.

I really personally could care less if the cruise lines ever do anything about it. and something tells me it is low enough on their 'list of things to do' it will never happen , even if it would be a simple enough fix. sure you can spout off all the logical reasons why it would be easy( hey! just whip up a computer spreadsheet! no big deal!) but the reality is.. nothing is as easy to implement in the real world as it is on paper.

Would it be nice? I suppose so. I'd never reference it. again, I fail to see a huge pressing need for it. for those people who are that paranoid and anal, I guess they'd figure out a way to find out on their own, since the cruise lines will not be of any help. or they accept the fact that their only true option is to book one cabin. I hear those Family suites are fantastic....

As is fairly typical of any topic on Cruise Critic, those who find the topic to be of importance can't understand why everyone else does not deem it to be just as important. And those who find a topic to be of no concern have little understanding of why anyone else would make a big deal out of it. This applies to manner of dress, tipping, smoking, kids, lines, passports, elevators, and now muster stations.

currently, you don't. and there is no real way to find out unless somebody volunteers to organize the Great Muster Station Drill Location Scavenger Hunt and enlists the aid of every single CC member in reporting that information for every cabin on every ship from every cruiseline.

I really personally could care less if the cruise lines ever do anything about it. and something tells me it is low enough on their 'list of things to do' it will never happen , even if it would be a simple enough fix. sure you can spout off all the logical reasons why it would be easy( hey! just whip up a computer spreadsheet! no big deal!) but the reality is.. nothing is as easy to implement in the real world as it is on paper.

Would it be nice? I suppose so. I'd never reference it. again, I fail to see a huge pressing need for it. for those people who are that paranoid and anal, I guess they'd figure out a way to find out on their own, since the cruise lines will not be of any help. or they accept the fact that their only true option is to book one cabin. I hear those Family suites are fantastic....

So because you find something not important, you think that everyone that does is "paranoid and anal"? Wow.

And that would be a job well done, far more important to many than a lot of the info featured on here.

But it would be a paper exercise. If the info was available the independent booker who was concerned about it could choose accordingly, and those booking via a TA could have cabins allocated which fit their needs. Not difficult to do.

Unnecessary insult always endears one to others, and raises the tone of the debate.

Nice way to describe folks who are concerned about their families.....:rolleyes:

....something tells me it is low enough on their 'list of things to do' it will never happen , even if it would be a simple enough fix.

I'm not suggesting it would be an overnight update to their systems but I worked in IT for over 40 years and I'm confident it can be done with a relatively small amount time and expense. Cabin assignment to muster station number is static data that (I'm hearing via this thread and the other regarding the Grandeur) changes seldom and is well known to the cruise line. Will this ever rise near the top of their systems enhancement list? I really cannot say but it definitely will not happen unless enough customers ask for it.

if the universe wants something to happen, it will find a way to make it happen. I learned long ago that paranoia and worrying about what ifs serves NO useful purpose whatsoever other than to cause ulcers and hair loss.

so no, I don't think it is that big a deal that the information is not plastered in 30 point red font on the website for the small number of people who require that information as a deal breaker whether or not to cruise. spending all that time and energy is counterproductive.. you will be too exhausted and worried to actually enjoy your cruise.

obviously they are in a very small minority, otherwise the cruise industry would have bowed to customer demand and provided it long ago.

I'm not suggesting it would be an overnight update to their systems but I worked in IT for over 40 years and I'm confident it can be done with a relatively small amount time and expense.
You forget that RCI's IT department is run by Huey, Dewey, and Louie.

As is fairly typical of any topic on Cruise Critic, those who find the topic to be of importance can't understand why everyone else does not deem it to be just as important. And those who find a topic to be of no concern have little understanding of why anyone else would make a big deal out of it. This applies to manner of dress, tipping, smoking, kids, lines, passports, elevators, and now muster stations.

I understand the concern about the welfare of your traveling companions, particularly family. I understand the desire to all be together in the event of an emergency and possible evacuation. I understand people wanting to take this on as an important cause and petition the cruise lines to make muster station information available at time of booking.

At the end of the day though, people need to accept the safety procedures dicated by the captain and follow them accordingly. There may be changes to muster station locations or even which cabins go where. This means ensuring that children, elderly parents and any one with mobility issues can follow directions and get to safety on their own, have someone with them at all times to help them to safety or know how to alert crew for help.

But it would be a paper exercise. If the info was available the independent booker who was concerned about it could choose accordingly, and those booking via a TA could have cabins allocated which fit their needs. Not difficult to do.

You keep saying it isn't that difficult. Maybe in a small company it wouldnt be hard. Do you work for a large company? I work for a very big company. When something needs to be updated or changed in the computer system it isn't something that happens overnight. It is a process that takes time. IT changes are done on a priority bases in order of what the CEO deems most important or most necessary. So that item you deem so easy to do, where I work, would probably be pushed to the bottom of the list.

This isn't just royal, none of the cruise lines make this information available. Who knows if they even have a list compiled already of muster stations. If they were to add it to bookings they may have to obtain this information for each ship. That is time consuming, then someone needs to plug that info into their website creating a spot for it since it doesn't already exist.

And based on the fact that cruises have been sailing for as long as they have without giving this information in advance to the guest, I would guess that even if they decided to make it a available, it would fall pretty low on their priority list as well.

You keep saying it isn't that difficult. Maybe in a small company it wouldnt be hard. Do you work for a large company? I work for a very big company. When something needs to be updated or changed in the computer system it isn't something that happens overnight. It is a process that takes time. IT changes are done on a priority bases in order of what the CEO deems most important or most necessary. So that item you deem so easy to do, where I work, would probably be pushed to the bottom of the list.

This isn't just royal, none of the cruise lines make this information available. Who knows if they even have a list compiled already of muster stations. If they were to add it to bookings they may have to obtain this information for each ship. That is time consuming, then someone needs to plug that info into their website creating a spot for it since it doesn't already exist.

And based on the fact that cruises have been sailing for as long as they have without giving this information in advance to the guest, I would guess that even if they decided to make it a available, it would fall pretty low on their priority list as well.

If the will is there it could be done very simply. All that info must be out there it just requires collating. Th.e RCI site is constantly being updated in real time as bookings are made and cabins are taken. It could be as simple as a legend on the deck plan.

If it isn't available when it could be, then they should not have a problem if a passenger wants to change muster stations at their first opportunity; when onboard and when they do know there is a problem for them.

And actually, that might just be Royal, as according to another poster he made the same request of Carnival as I did on RCI and was accommodated without a problem.

if the universe wants something to happen, it will find a way to make it happen. I learned long ago that paranoia and worrying about what ifs serves NO useful purpose whatsoever other than to cause ulcers and hair loss.

so no, I don't think it is that big a deal that the information is not plastered in 30 point red font on the website for the small number of people who require that information as a deal breaker whether or not to cruise. spending all that time and energy is counterproductive.. you will be too exhausted and worried to actually enjoy your cruise.

obviously they are in a very small minority, otherwise the cruise industry would have bowed to customer demand and provided it long ago.

30 point red font? Deal breaker on whether to cruise or not? Your exaggerations are just as counter productive to making a point as anything else that I have read on this thread. The paranoid and anal comment is in a category all its own when it comes to being counterproductive.

Haven't read all the pages, apologies if this has been covered.

Does anyone know where you go if your muster station happens to be on fire? (Like the Grandeur lounges were?) My last 3 musters have been in Theaters etc.

This would basic conjecture for all lines (whether RCI or someone else)?

I would guess, in that situation, that announcements would be made or directions would be given by the crew where to report.

Haven't read all the pages, apologies if this has been covered.

Does anyone know where you go if your muster station happens to be on fire? (Like the Grandeur lounges were?) My last 3 musters have been in Theaters etc.

This would basic conjecture for all lines (whether RCI or someone else)?

Trained crew are always stationed at all critical points to direct you. if your LB is not accessable the crew will inform you as to what to do. If one pays attention to the vid played at muster you will know this for your cruise, also the muster drill vid plays on your cabin tv the first day and also spells all of this out.

I understand the concern about the welfare of your traveling companions, particularly family. I understand the desire to all be together in the event of an emergency and possible evacuation. I understand people wanting to take this on as an important cause and petition the cruise lines to make muster station information available at time of booking.

At the end of the day though, people need to accept the safety procedures dicated by the captain and follow them accordingly. There may be changes to muster station locations or even which cabins go where. This means ensuring that children, elderly parents and any one with mobility issues can follow directions and get to safety on their own, have someone with them at all times to help them to safety or know how to alert crew for help.

Of course. But no one here is talking about breaking rules in the event of an emergency. Rather, the discussion here concerns obtaining information ahead of time, when the cruise is being booked.

Trained crew are always stationed at all critical points to direct you. if your LB is not accessable the crew will inform you as to what to do. If one pays attention to the vid played at muster you will know this for your cruise, also the muster drill vid plays on your cabin tv the first day and also spells all of this out.

Well, I do pay attention. (I should qualify that none of these particular musters happened to be RCI, so no video.) However, that is once we are already in the muster area, because I assume they take you FROM the theater to your life boat. In two cruises on two different lines one month apart (both that mustered in a 2-3 deck theater, so quite a few mustering in the same area), none of them said where ELSE we should go to MEET if our theater is on fire in order to catch a life boat...(thought probably didn't occur to them and hadn't until now to me either.)

I agree with the other poster, we may not be allocated to join someone else's if their muster station is based on a certain number in that area and certain lifeboats. At least half a theater full of people would have to go somewhere else to meet for their lifeboat...

I agree also that there would probably be an announcement made and so then subsequent CMs would probably know where to tell you from that point on...

Agree with PP about mustering inside. Just seems odd.

Sure. But we live in an information-heavy age now. 10 years ago, there weren't sites that could tell you exactly how many square feet your cabin would be, or how many storage drawers in the bathroom, how many chairs on the balcony, etc., etc.

We're all here on CC because we want all this information. We want to make the best, most educated decisions when booking or taking a cruise.

When it comes to info, more is better. So just because the cruise lines have never made this info available in the past doesn't mean it's impossible. And if they can't/won't make it public, a third party might.

A simple dotted line on the ship deck plans, indicating the "border" of a muster station assignment, is all it would take.

Well, I do pay attention. (I should qualify that none of these particular musters happened to be RCI, so no video.) However, that is once we are already in the muster area, because I assume they take you FROM the theater to your life boat. In two cruises on two different lines one month apart (both that mustered in a 2-3 deck theater, so quite a few mustering in the same area), none of them said where ELSE we should go to MEET if our theater is on fire in order to catch a life boat...(thought probably didn't occur to them and hadn't until now to me either.)

I agree with the other poster, we may not be allocated to join someone else's if their muster station is based on a certain number in that area and certain lifeboats. At least half a theater full of people would have to go somewhere else to meet for their lifeboat...

I agree also that there would probably be an announcement made and so then subsequent CMs would probably know where to tell you from that point on...

Agree with PP about mustering inside. Just seems odd.

again, all the passageways associated with either your lb or muster station/location will be staffed by crew directing you if either of these cannot be reached.

Isn't trying to make sure your family's cabins have the same muster station so that you can care for your family in an emergency taking personal responsibility, assessing risk, and following rules? :confused:

AMEN! I absolutely agree!! Again, the point of this thread should be to inform people about the possibility that you could be split up if you are in multiple cabins. The best defense against this is the ability to have the information at the time of booking and make sure that everyone in your party is in the appropriate cabin type and coded to the same muster station. We can pre-book entertainment, dining, excursions, soda packages and just about everything else. It doesn't seem like to much to ask to know what cabins are assigned to each muster station. A color coded block system on the website would be MORE than sufficient.

I don't understand the people arguing against this. I do understand those who are upset at the idea of people disobeying their designated station and going somewhere else - that could cause serious issues (although, that begs the question as to what happens if one of the muster stations is on fire/underwater/etc...:eek:). However, the best way to make sure nothing like this happens is to have the information up front.

If you don't book multiple cabins, then fine - you don't need the information. But the argument that you should just book a cabin big enough for everyone is ludicrous. Come on, seriously?? We are cruising with my elderly parents next year and cannot possibly afford a cabin large enough for four adults. But I also don't want to watch my mother and father go one way and us go the other in an emergency. I don't understand why some people on this thread can't understand that.

Archived