Muster stations

Here's another scenario to throw out there. What would happen if there was an emergency at a time when the kids club was open and packed with kids? Are they taken by staff to their cabin muster stations or is there a muster station specifically for the kids club? My child has never wanted to go to the kids club so I have no idea what the procedures are.

Children under a certain age wear a bracelet with their muster station. (Not sure the age requirement) It is my understanding that Adventure Ocean staff will, in the event of an emergency, bring the child to their muster station where they will meet up with their parents. Life vests are available to them on the deck.

We usually travel with 6 of us... one of my granddaughters is in my cabin. The other in her parents. We would definitely want to muster together in the event of an emergency. CLEARLY, safety is the most important issue here, and we're rule abiding people. But I can see where my granddaughter would be really stressed if she were to be separated from her parents. We've never been separated yet (in 7 cruises) but I suppose it is a possibility. It would be nice if there were some sort of color delineation on the deck plans to show muster station breakdown. Never gave it much thought until now.

Children under a certain age wear a bracelet with their muster station. (Not sure the age requirement) It is my understanding that Adventure Ocean staff will, in the event of an emergency, bring the child to their muster station where they will meet up with their parents. Life vests are available to them on the deck.

We usually travel with 6 of us... one of my granddaughters is in my cabin. The other in her parents. We would definitely want to muster together in the event of an emergency. CLEARLY, safety is the most important issue here, and we're rule abiding people. But I can see where my granddaughter would be really stressed if she were to be separated from her parents. We've never been separated yet (in 7 cruises) but I suppose it is a possibility. It would be nice if there were some sort of color delineation on the deck plans to show muster station breakdown. Never gave it much thought until now.

That wasn't my quote:D

I agree with your comments though. That would be very easy to do I would have thought.

Wow! I am really surprised by the vitriol of some of the posters on this thread. I read the ENTIRE thread on the Grandeur and have read this one as well.

There may be one or two "entitled" people indicating that they would violate the rules and go to the same muster station regardless of their assignment, but that is NOT what this thread is about. (Not to mention that it wouldn't matter anyway - since RCCL scans Set Sail Passes as passengers arrive. I would assume that if you showed up to the wrong muster station you would more than likely be forced to go to the correct one by the crew. I don't think anyone is supporting people acting like Ismay on the Titanic).

It was my understanding that the OP was simply bringing this issue to the forefront for those who book multiple cabins and had never thought about this issue. I, for one, appreciate it. I had never thought about the possibility of being split up during a crisis such as abandoning ship. If I had been on the Grandeur, during the four hours they were at muster stations, I would have been a wreck if my kids or parents were somewhere else on the ship. It is comforting to have everyone together during a crisis.

I don't see the harm in RCCL having muster locations on their computer systems. I also can't believe that it would be that big a deal to get the information together (I am sure it is available on the computer programs of each of their ships). Based on what I have read here on CC, it seems that muster stations are based on FULL occupancy of a cabin and, therefore, would not be all that changeable. (To the poster who keeps harping on the Captain changing things - of course anything is possible - but I seriously doubt that during a crisis the Captain is going to sit down with a seating chart and start rearranging muster stations.)

I will be traveling with my parents next April and I, personally, would like for all of us to be together if something happens. It isn't a requirement and I certainly would not break any RCCL rules to make it so - but I would like to be together if possible.

If RCCL had this information, it would be great for those of us who care, to be able to ask the question and then be notified (to the best of their knowledge) that we might be split up. It could affect our cabin choice decision. If I knew that we were on the line, maybe I would choose the cabin on the other side of me or somewhere else on the ship.

All that being said, this is a good thread and a topic of importance to some. There is no reason to be nasty to those who care but had never thought about this issue before.

I agree that it would be nice if this information were available ahead of time and of course it would be nice if groups traveling together could stay together in an emergency. However, things don't always work out the way we want them to and people need to learn to deal with the situation at hand, especially in an emergency.

My issue all along has been with the person who started this discussion on the other thread. She stated that she told the cruise staff her family would go together to a muster station even though their cabins weren't assigned to the same one. That's the entitled behavior that drives me insane.

Anyone who is traveling with someone with a disability or medical condition would be well adviced to make that known to special services. Cabin attendants would then be given the heads up as to who would need assistance getting to their muster station.

My issue all along has been with the person who started this discussion on the other thread. She stated that she told the cruise staff her family would go together to a muster station even though their cabins weren't assigned to the same one. That's the entitled behavior that drives me insane.

Yes, that was me.:D

I had a long conversation at GS with a totally disinterested, borderline rude person, who, like some on this thread, could not see any issue. So,yes,I did say that, and it is not a question of evidencing "entitlement" it is a question of my having all the pertinent information at hand to make an informed cabin choice. Had that information been available I would not have accepted the cabins we were assigned.

I too am usually a follow the rules type, but if the rules are not known about in advance then there are occasions when I may go with my gut, and this situation may have been one of them, and actually, I doubt I would be the only one. What if a disabled guest had a carer in an adjacent cabin who was assigned to a different muster station? An elderly infirm parent next door to a son or daughter. Do you really think in the heat of the moment they would all part company?

This is a real issue for some and instead of vilifying those who want to see a change which would ultimately be of overall benefit to all, those energies could be directed to effecting change, or at least not decrying those who are.

I wrote to RCI after the event but never got a response beyond an acknowledgement. I didn't take it further at the time, but if I ever found myself booking more than one cabin again, I would want to know upfront that I would not be in that position again. Currently this doesn't seem possible. It should be.

Yes, that was me.:D

I had a long conversation at GS with a totally disinterested, borderline rude person, who, like some on this thread, could not see any issue. So,yes,I did say that, and it is not a question of evidencing "entitlement" it is a question of my having all the pertinent information at hand to make an informed cabin choice. Had that information been available I would not have accepted the cabins we were assigned.

I too am usually a follow the rules type, but if the rules are not known about in advance then there are occasions when I may go with my gut, and this situation may have been one of them, and actually, I doubt I would be the only one. What if a disabled guest had a carer in an adjacent cabin who was assigned to a different muster station? An elderly infirm parent next door to a son or daughter. Do you really think in the heat of the moment they would all part company?

This is a real issue for some and instead of vilifying those who want to see a change which would ultimately be of overall benefit to all, those energies could be directed to effecting change, or at least not decrying those who are.

I wrote to RCI after the event but never got a response beyond an acknowledgement. I didn't take it further at the time, but if I ever found myself booking more than one cabin again, I would want to know upfront that I would not be in that position again. Currently this doesn't seem possible. It should be.

Maybe they should post where muster stations are for each cabin. Who knows. However it is so wrong for you to say that you would just ignore this and go to a different station than assigned just for your own emotional well being. Maybe the ship is at full capacity and now the muster station you went to cant accommodate the extra people you decided to bring. Nice that you would put your personal want over everyone else's safety.

Maybe they should post where muster stations are for each cabin. Who knows. However it is so wrong for you to say that you would just ignore this and go to a different station than assigned just for your own emotional well being. Maybe the ship is at full capacity and now the muster station you went to cant accommodate the extra people you decided to bring. Nice that you would put your personal want over everyone else's safety.

By failing to address the issue RCI are pushing people to do just that. As I said, I doubt I would be alone in doing it if it came down to it. It shouldn't even be an issue.

I think the fault is in their allowing non adults to be in adjoining cabins. 21+ no exceptions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We have on Freedom had connecting cabins and our children had a different cabin stewart and different muster stations from us. So this really does not always work out.

By failing to address the issue RCI are pushing people to do just that. As I said, I doubt I would be alone in doing it if it came down to it. It shouldn't even be an issue.

That is a lame excuse to justify your poor behavior. No cruise line that i have seen publishes muster info. And a great thing to teach your children. Hey it is ok to break rules that you don't agree with even if it jeopardizes other people's safety because what you want is more important. And now your entire argument IMO is crap being that you started out saying it was all about getting them to add muster info and has now turned into you will do what you want regardless of the rules.

It shouldn't, but people's selfishness never ceases to amaze me. It's a sad world we live in that people have no regard for how their decisions affect others.

What if a disabled guest had a carer in an adjacent cabin who was assigned to a different muster station? An elderly infirm parent next door to a son or daughter. Do you really think in the heat of the moment they would all part company?

Yes, I really think they will, either by choice or by crew directive. Their desire to stay together is not going to undermine the Captain's and crew's efforts to ensure safety in an emergency.

That is a lame excuse to justify your poor behavior. No cruise line that i have seen publishes muster info. And a great thing to teach your children. Hey it is ok to break rules that you don't agree with even if it jeopardizes other people's safety because what you want is more important. And now your entire argument IMO is crap being that you started out saying it was all about getting them to add muster info and has now turned into you will do what you want regardless of the rules.

It shouldn't, but people's selfishness never ceases to amaze me. It's a sad world we live in that people have no regard for how their decisions affect others.

You are entitled to your opinion. I note you have not addressed the other scenarios; disabled person, infirm parent, small children in connecting cabin (as detailed earlier by another poster) Do RCI really bear no responsibility here?

Where did I start out saying what you allege? The poster above stated quite correctly what my OP was on the other thread. And I have no doubt there are a lot of people reading this who, in extremis, would do the same but might not say so.;)

Bull feathers. the cruise industry doesn't force you to do squat.

as it stands right now, the Muster station information is NOT readily available. Unless you can point out international Safety law that dictates that the cruise line must provide it in advance, your options are to sail in one cabin or suck it up and deal with the possibility that you may be separated in an emergency.

By all means ASK the cruise lines to consider making said information available. just do not assume that it is solely the cruise industry's responsibility.

but if you and everyone else who has such strong feelings on this all insist on doing it your way, my guess is that instead of zero casualties, there would be plenty since you would be effectively preventing a safe, orderly egress of the ship. not only for yourselves, but the other pax who would be negatively impacted by your actions and refusal to abide by crew member instruction.

don't come crying on here saying you were arrested for interfering with crew( a federal crime BTW) if you insisted on doing things your way.

You are entitled to your opinion. I note you have not addressed the other scenarios; disabled person, infirm parent, small children in connecting cabin (as detailed earlier by another poster) Do RCI really bear no responsibility here?

Where did I start out saying what you allege? The poster above stated quite correctly what my OP was on the other thread. And I have no doubt there are a lot of people reading this who, in extremis, would do the same but might not say so.;)

As spookwife has mentioned repeatedly, your options as they are currently is to book a cabin big enough for your entire party or make sure an adult is in every cabin. I don't know why you mention disabled people. The cruise line employees will help those that are disabled to make sure they get where they need to be. I'm sure tons of disabled people travel and they aren't always with an able bodied person.

As far as royals responsibility, they are required to make sure that all persons go to their assigned muster station in the event of an emergency. And to make sure, if needed, everyone gets off the ship safely. The least of their concerns in these situations is whether or not all family members have the same muster station.

There is no reason you can give that can justify ignoring the safety rules and changing muster stations in the event of an emergency.

As spookwife has mentioned repeatedly, your options as they are currently is to book a cabin big enough for your entire party or make sure an adult is in every cabin. I don't know why you mention disabled people. The cruise line employees will help those that are disabled to make sure they get where they need to be. I'm sure tons of disabled people travel and they aren't always with an able bodied person.

As far as royals responsibility, they are required to make sure that all persons go to their assigned muster station in the event of an emergency. And to make sure, if needed, everyone gets off the ship safely.

There is no reason you can give that can justify ignoring the safety rules and changing muster stations in the event of an emergency.

:eek::eek:

OK so I can just see my Husband go off with my DD leaving me to wait for RCI staff to collect me and take me to a different muster point. - what planet are you living on - Are you married- if so and your husband would happily leave you go to a different muster station having no idea if you have been collected - then get a new husband!!:eek:

And I would have been freaking out if he waited for me to be collected before getting my DD safely to the muster station.

As I said we would not just have gone against the rules as they are there to ensure the maximum number of passengers get of the ship safely, however, we would have left the cruise before it begun.

As far as royals responsibility, they are required to make sure that all persons go to their assigned muster station in the event of an emergency. And to make sure, if needed, everyone gets off the ship safely. The least of their concerns in these situations is whether or not all family members have he same muster station.

Why should they be my only options though as a paying passenger?

How hard can it be to do as someone suggested and colour code the cabins on a deck plan in relation to the muster station? Or compile a spreadsheet giving the info. It is easy to blame the passenger, but the reality is it is a simple fix. Cruise lines pump money into lucrative parts of the cruise, this would be so easy to do.

I am sure loads of disabled pax do cruise alone, but those who don't, those who employ a carer, or who have a relative do it would far rather be with them than be alone, and who could blame them.

Anyway this is now a circular argument. I have brought this issue to the thread in the hope that it will help someone or make them aware of something that would be an issue for them. Several posters have been grateful, so that is it done as far as I am concerned.

Bull feathers. the cruise industry doesn't force you to do squat.

as it stands right now, the Muster station information is NOT readily available. Unless you can point out international Safety law that dictates that the cruise line must provide it in advance, your options are to sail in one cabin or suck it up and deal with the possibility that you may be separated in an emergency.

By all means ASK the cruise lines to consider making said information available. just do not assume that it is solely the cruise industry's responsibility.

but if you and everyone else who has such strong feelings on this all insist on doing it your way, my guess is that instead of zero casualties, there would be plenty since you would be effectively preventing a safe, orderly egress of the ship. not only for yourselves, but the other pax who would be negatively impacted by your actions and refusal to abide by crew member instruction.

don't come crying on here saying you were arrested for interfering with crew( a federal crime BTW) if you insisted on doing things your way.

Total agree.

As it stands muster info is not available so people need to work around that by having an adult in every cabin or booking one that can accommodate everyone, until or if the muster information becomes available. Ignoring safety rules is not and should not be an option.

Why should they be my only options though as a paying passenger?

How hard can it be to do as someone suggested and colour code the cabins on a deck plan in relation to the muster station? Or compile a spreadsheet giving the info. It is easy to blame the passenger, but the reality is it is a simple fix. Cruise lines pump money into lucrative parts of the cruise, this would be so easy to do.

I am sure loads of disabled pax do cruise alone, but those who don't those who employ a carer or who have a relative do it would far rather be with them than alone, and who could blame them.

Anyway this is now a circular argument. I have brought this issue to the thread in the hope that it will help someone or make them aware of something that would be an issue for them. Several posters have been grateful, so that is it done as far as I am concerned.

Why should that be your only option? Because as of right now that is the only option. Even if they decided to add muster info I doubt it would be something that would happen overnight. You have to deal with the situation as it is not what you wish it was.

You can write and push to have this changed but that isnt going to change what is right now.

Why should that be your only option? Because as of right now that is the only option. Even if they decided to add muster info I doubt it would be something that would happen overnight. You have to deal with the situation as it is not what you wish it was.

You can write and push to have this changed but that isnt going to change what is right now.

And sometimes you have to deal with issues in a way that you wish you didn't have to.....,to get results. History is full of such cases. I did write, over two years ago, it clearly isn't a pressing issue, or at least not as pressing as monetary issues or launching new, ever more lucrative, ships.;)

I have been reading this thread and it is clear that many people are arguing about many of these issues. I think the ship needs to have a diagram of some kind so that people can consider this in the booking process. If people don't care, they would not need to consult the list.

None of us know what we would do in a big event like the Concordia. But many people would still want the same muster stations for their friends and family in the hope that they would wind up in the same muster area and see each other and help each other in a disaster.

We booked 2 adjacent family OVs on the Carnival Breeze last year, and it was not until we boarded that we became aware that there was a set of emergency doors between the two cabins, (which were not shown on the deck plans) and that the cabins were under different muster stations. Immediately after the muster drill I went to guest services, and raised my concern that my DDs 16 and 14 would be seperated from us in an emergency. The Guest Service Agent assured us that although they couldn't change the muster stations on our Sail and Sign cards, he would update the computer records to reflect that we would all report to the same muster station, and that there would be space available in the lifeboat to accomodate us.

We booked 2 adjacent family OVs on the Carnival Breeze last year, and it was not until we boarded that we became aware that there was a set of emergency doors between the two cabins, (which were not shown on the deck plans) and that the cabins were under different muster stations. Immediately after the muster drill I went to guest services, and raised my concern that my DDs 16 and 14 would be seperated from us in an emergency. The Guest Service Agent assured us that although they couldn't change the muster stations on our Sail and Sign cards, he would update the computer records to reflect that we would all report to the same muster station, and that there would be space available in the lifeboat to accomodate us.

That is good to know, that was what we expected of RCI, sadly they fell short. Clearly then it can be done.

Like a lot of others, I followed this sub-topic on the Grandeur thread (I think someone mentioned "whiplash" trying to keep up). As long as the cruise line allows non-adults (on the same booking as adults) to be in adjoining cabins, the reservation system needs to have some method of identifying muster station zones to the booking agent to avoid families (regardless of age, really) being split up into different muster stations just because their cabins fall on a station dividing line.

I agree with everything you said. I always take my parents along when we cruise. They are getting to be a bit older and I feel responsible for them when we travel. The issue is keeping families together and it is not just parents and kids.

I think adults need to act like adults and deal with the situation at hand. If parents choose to put children in a cabin by themselves and it turns out that cabin has a different muster station than the parents they need to either accept that or switch family members around.

It isn't ok for anyone to go to any muster station other than the one that was assigned. All that does is cause confusion, extra work and possibly a dangerous situation.

And part of acting like an adult is having the foresight to plan ahead for the unexpected. Part of that planning for me now will be to try to be sure our family's cabins have the same muster station.

Interesting thread. The assumption that bad things only happen between 1am and 7am seems to be the main topic. If "kids" are old enough to be in their own stateroom, than they are old enough to get to the muster station. If not, than why are you booking them in their own cabin? Any other time, I am assuming the kids are being unsupervised, since they are in their own room, the assumption is that they are unsupervised the rest of the day. If so, than they should be old enough to understand what to do in an ermergency also. Isn't this simply one of those cases that parents think their kids are old enought and mature enough unless they actually have to be old enough and mature enough to handle themselves.

Personnally, I never had this issue, because I would never have left my kids have their own room. Ironically, its for the same reasons as being discussed here.

So the real solution is to book your kids in your room, and keep them safe.

Archived