Cruise ship hit by shrapnel in Israel

Pam in CA

So true but sad. Same goes for Egypt for me.

Aw Pam, you know my feelings. If you time is up that's it. Why let it spoil an excellent cruise?I will go anywhere I want when I want. No terrorist or minor conflict is going to prevent me! But there again I did spend 20 years in the British Army.

Edited by MandE-UK

Aw Pam, you know my feelings. If you time is up that's it. Why let it spoil an excellent cruise?I will go anywhere I want when I want. No terrorist or minor conflict is going to prevent me! But there again I did spend 20 years in the British Army.

I admire your attitude, but if the cruise line decides a port is too dangerous, then the passenger has no say in the matter. If Princess pulls out of Israel, I feel sorry for all those folks looking forward to the visit.

While this is true, don't forget that fire is the biggest fear for a ship's captain so even if a passenger gets hit by shrapnel, the ship could catch on fire, possibly incurring multiple injuries and deaths. No to mention lawsuits for putting passengers in danger.

No matter what, safety is the primary concern. Even one life is one too many.

Probably the insurance company would void their insurance if they knowingly travelled within a live war zone.

When my daughter was in Afganastan, she had to have a different special (more expensive) policy, because of the war zone.

I was in Greece a couple of years ago during their protests - locals said we were safe, because they need our $, but, it is not pleasant, and accdidents happen - I would prefer not to leave a ship during outbreaks, and better to be safe missing a port, than to be in harms way.

When your time is up, that IS it. BUT it doesn't mean that you can go putting yourself in harm's way and tempting fate.

I happened to be looking at Cruise Critic, and spotted this thread. A moment or two later the air raid sirens went off (we live right outside Jerusalem). I moved here 15 years ago from NJ, but this is the first time I had to go down to our bomb shelter. As we started opening the door to our shelter, we heard and felt a large boom.

We're back in our apartment now, and are reading that 4 missles were intercepted over Jerusalem.

Two years ago was the first time in 40 years that air raid sirens went off in the Jerusalem area. I was traveling solo on the Carnival Breeze transatlantic; my husband was in Israel. The missile barrage (2000 missles in 2 weeks) began just as we started the crossing. I cannot begin to tell you how difficult it was for me to be in the middle of the ocean, knowing my husband was running for cover at home. (I have to say that the Guest Services people really, really came through for me- they handed me a sattelite phone and told me I could come down to them anytime 24/7 and call my husband.)

Please don't make light of this. Dozens of missles have been falling here the past 2 days, and tonight Tel Aviv and our capital city, Jerusalem, came under attack.

I hope it doesn't happen, but if your itinerary is changed to skip Israel, be calm and understand.

I just realized my ears are ringing. Funny that I didn't notice that until now.

Perhaps foolishly, but still with hopes of peace,

Ruth

I happened to be looking at Cruise Critic, and spotted this thread. A moment or two later the air raid sirens went off (we live right outside Jerusalem). I moved here 15 years ago from NJ, but this is the first time I had to go down to our bomb shelter. As we started opening the door to our shelter, we heard and felt a large boom.

We're back in our apartment now, and are reading that 4 missles were intercepted over Jerusalem.

Two years ago was the first time in 40 years that air raid sirens went off in the Jerusalem area. I was traveling solo on the Carnival Breeze transatlantic; my husband was in Israel. The missile barrage (2000 missles in 2 weeks) began just as we started the crossing. I cannot begin to tell you how difficult it was for me to be in the middle of the ocean, knowing my husband was running for cover at home. (I have to say that the Guest Services people really, really came through for me- they handed me a sattelite phone and told me I could come down to them anytime 24/7 and call my husband.)

Please don't make light of this. Dozens of missles have been falling here the past 2 days, and tonight Tel Aviv and our capital city, Jerusalem, came under attack.

I hope it doesn't happen, but if your itinerary is changed to skip Israel, be calm and understand.

I just realized my ears are ringing. Funny that I didn't notice that until now.

Perhaps foolishly, but still with hopes of peace,

Ruth

Adding my thoughts to the others for you and those residing in Israel. My hubby has cousins living there.

Shalom Ruth

Stay safe

A few years ago, I toured Israel for a week.

While in Haifa, I saw the damage that the Katyusha Rockets can do.

Saw one house with a hole in it's roof where a "dud" rocket hit.

Those rockets are unguided and will hit any where.

That may be true, but a wise person still looks both ways before crossing the street.:)

I think a wise person doesn't put himself in harms way then expect someone else to bale him out for being foolish.

My point exactly!

Hey! I think that's what those journalists said. You know.. The ones who had their heads removed via multiple hacking and sawing motions from dull swords?

I'd just as soon stay away from places where religious conflict is going on. Far too many atrocities are committed in the name of religion. (Heck, even one is far too many.)