Luggage in the drink!!

JF - retired RRT

We just got back from a LA to HI cruise. Unfortunately, the start of the cruise was not that great. We were in our cabin when our luggage arrived and our suitcases were in plastic bags, dripping wet (literally) and EVERYTHING in our suitcases was drenched.

Apparently, this happened to 10-12 passengers. The contents were so wet they surely went to the bottom of the harbor before they were retrieved.

Now the question...I know that has happened to others in the past, were you happy with the insurance settlement from Princess? Did they make you jump through hoops to get reimbursed for your damaged articles?

The information we received from Princess asks for receipts for repaired/replaced items.

Our suitcases are still usable, but they feel greasy and smell (and of course I don't have the receipts anymore). Did you buy new ones?

For those who are wondering...we were given free express laundry for all of our clothes and a $100 OBC. Nice, but we still had to wear the same clothes for 3 days.

I look forward to your reports of your experiences.

We just got back from a LA to HI cruise. Unfortunately, the start of the cruise was not that great. We were in our cabin when our luggage arrived and our suitcases were in plastic bags, dripping wet (literally) and EVERYTHING in our suitcases was drenched.

Apparently, this happened to 10-12 passengers. The contents were so wet they surely went to the bottom of the harbor before they were retrieved.

Now the question...I know that has happened to others in the past, were you happy with the insurance settlement from Princess? Did they make you jump through hoops to get reimbursed for your damaged articles?

The information we received from Princess asks for receipts for repaired/replaced items.

Our suitcases are still usable, but they feel greasy and smell (and of course I don't have the receipts anymore). Did you buy new ones?

For those who are wondering...we were given free express laundry for all of our clothes and a $100 OBC. Nice, but we still had to wear the same clothes for 3 days.

I look forward to your reports of your experiences.

It doesn't make sense. You state they asked for replacement receipts not original. You state they did express laundry so why did you have to wear the same clothes for 3 days. It's unfortunate this happened and would really put a damper on someones vacation. I don't think $100 OBC was enough to replace all your toiletries and the things you need right away.

Edited by cruzsnooze

It doesn't make sense. You state they asked for replacement receipts not original. You state they did express laundry so why did you have to wear the same clothes for 3 days. It's unfortunate this happened and would really put a damper on someones vacation. I don't think $100 OBC was enough to replace all your toiletries and the things you need right away.

We had to wear the same clothes for 3 days because that is how long the "express" laundry took.

If we have original receipts, I guess it would be "proof" that we actually owned the item. There are probably some who would claim ownership of an item in order to scam the system.

Replace anything that you feel was ruined and submit the receipts. Seems pretty straight forward.

Total bummer this happened and I would be quite unhappy but...

Yes, it does seem straightforward, but I am wondering if it works like homeowners insurance...depreciation. "Oh you have owned that for XXX years, so we will give you 20% of its value".:eek:

I had to submit a form regarding my wheeled duffel, they ruined the handle on embarkation (it contained a case of water). I knew how much it cost as I had my laptop with me and OBC showed up within hours in the full amount. I did not have to submit proof. This was on the Crown.

I had to submit a form regarding my wheeled duffel, they ruined the handle on embarkation (it contained a case of water). I knew how much it cost as I had my laptop with me and OBC showed up within hours in the full amount. I did not have to submit proof. This was on the Crown.

Wow! That would have been nice. All we got was a form to fill out and turn in and several days later we were given a copy of the form with instructions about providing proof, etc. to turn in again. Then wait for reimbursement.:confused:

If I were you I would purchase replacements for all items that were damaged beyond repair (including the smelly suitcases) and send receipts for all of these purchases to Princess. I can't imagine they would try to skimp on reimbursement in a situation like this which was clearly through no fault of your own.

Yes, it does seem straightforward, but I am wondering if it works like homeowners insurance...depreciation. "Oh you have owned that for XXX years, so we will give you 20% of its value".:eek:

I think that they are asking you to submit the receipts for the new items that you had to buy. In other words, you wore the same clothes for 3 days. Had you elected not to do that, and instead went to a store (either in port or on the ship) and bought a new outfit while you waited for your clothes to be returned from the laundry, they would reimburse you for the new outfit using the receipts from the purchase. And I assume that they would employ some sort of "reasonableness standard" so that you couldn't buy a mink coat and Armani suit to substitute for your dockers and Polo shirt. Also, if there was anything in your suitcase that was irreparably damaged and could not be laundered or otherwise cleaned and dried out, they would reimburse you for the replacement article using the new receipt.

Wow! That would have been nice. All we got was a form to fill out and turn in and several days later we were given a copy of the form with instructions about providing proof, etc. to turn in again. Then wait for reimbursement.:confused:

It was a cheap bag, less than $30. They probably figured it wasn't worth the hassle of arguing with me.

I would expect bags that fell into the drink to float in most cases, by the way. Most things I would expect a cruiser to take would be lighter than the water they displaced. Not all, mind you, but on balance.

Edited by Wehwalt

We had an incident with stolen carry-on luggage. We had princess insurance and I was very pleased with them. Any items we purchased to replace what was was stolen was reimbursed to us %100 if we submitted receipts. I had a necklace that was a gift for my wife in one of the bags that I had bought 3 months prior. I had the receipt and was reimbursed %100. Other items like shoes, pants shirts etc. that I had no receipts for were reimbursed at %80 of the value I estimated them at, of course within reason. The turn around time for reimbursement was very reasonable and the paperwork was not cumbersome at all. Overall I had no complaints with Princess insurance.

We had an incident with stolen carry-on luggage. We had princess insurance and I was very pleased with them. Any items we purchased to replace what was was stolen was reimbursed to us %100 if we submitted receipts. I had a necklace that was a gift for my wife in one of the bags that I had bought 3 months prior. I had the receipt and was reimbursed %100. Other items like shoes, pants shirts etc. that I had no receipts for were reimbursed at %80 of the value I estimated them at, of course within reason. The turn around time for reimbursement was very reasonable and the paperwork was not cumbersome at all. Overall I had no complaints with Princess insurance.

I'm dealing with them now over expenses from the delayed sailing of the Crown due to having to turn back for an ill crewman in the South Pacific. I faxed it in yesterday, and they sent me an email acknowledging receipt today. It's been very smooth.

Note to self to put clean laundry in zip-loc bags when packing for a cruise. I usually only place dirty laundry in them to take home to wash. I always carry-on toiletries, so no worries there.

Yes! I had already decided to get the biggest Ziploc bags they make and put everything that I can in them.

DH was so upset, he doesn't want to check our suitcases anymore...but I think he will get over it.:rolleyes:

Glad to hear this. We had Princess Platinum insurance.

I would expect bags that fell into the drink to float in most cases, by the way. Most things I would expect a cruiser to take would be lighter than the water they displaced. Not all, mind you, but on balance.

I think they do float, at least for awhile. But our clothes were completely saturated. So they had to have been completely submerged.

I think that they are asking you to submit the receipts for the new items that you had to buy. In other words, you wore the same clothes for 3 days. Had you elected not to do that, and instead went to a store (either in port or on the ship) and bought a new outfit while you waited for your clothes to be returned from the laundry, they would reimburse you for the new outfit using the receipts from the purchase. And I assume that they would employ some sort of "reasonableness standard" so that you couldn't buy a mink coat and Armani suit to substitute for your dockers and Polo shirt. Also, if there was anything in your suitcase that was irreparably damaged and could not be laundered or otherwise cleaned and dried out, they would reimburse you for the replacement article using the new receipt.

No ports, 4 days at sea. It didn't occur to us to "buy new" and the people we spoke with at pax services (X4) didn't suggest that as an option.

I think they do float, at least for awhile. But our clothes were completely saturated. So they had to have been completely submerged.

Probably even clothes out of the water as it floated would take on water. Capillary action. And mean they were in the water for a fair amount of time. Stuff isn't going to get soaked clean through in an instant.

Edited by Wehwalt

No ports, 4 days at sea. It didn't occur to us to "buy new" and the people we spoke with at pax services (X4) didn't suggest that as an option.

I was thinking that they should have given you a credit for the store onboard that sells clothes so you can get a change (don't remember seeing underwear there, though) of clothing or two -- and that it shouldn't count against the OBC.

I suspect that an entire cage of suitcases that gets forklifted onto the ship went into the water and probably did not float.

I read that the same thing happened in Long Beach on the Splendor cruise that had the fire. I notice that Long Beach has nets under the loading doors now. Hopefully San Pedro will do the same thing.

I was thinking that they should have given you a credit for the store onboard that sells clothes so you can get a change (don't remember seeing underwear there' date=' though) of clothing or two -- and that it shouldn't count against the OBC.[/quote']

Princess must have underwear abroad for the crew.

Princess must have underwear abroad for the crew.

I sincerely doubt it. The crew has to purchase their own clothing. They can bring it with them or buy replacements when / if they are allowed ashore in port.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

The letter Princess gave us said to contact Princess Travel Care if we have Princess insurance (we do).

I called and the end result was that we have to FIRST jump through all the hoops with Princess. If we need further reimbursement after Princess pays, then SECOND contact our homeowner's insurance and if we still aren't complete THIRD put in a claim with Travel Care. Right:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I suspect that an entire cage of suitcases that gets forklifted onto the ship went into the water and probably did not float.

I read that the same thing happened in Long Beach on the Splendor cruise that had the fire. I notice that Long Beach has nets under the loading doors now. Hopefully San Pedro will do the same thing.

Your right!!:eek:

I visualized individual suitcases spilling over the edge. If they were in a cage, they would definitely have gone down to the bottom. GLUG!!

And they do have nets, but they aren't very big. They are only the width of the door.