Would someone explain to me about buying Carnival Shares and the benefits

Jean1946

We both 100 shares about 3 years ago - against the advice of our financial advisor. Sooooo glad we did. The stock is now worth $1500 more and we have used the benefits of being a stock holder 4 times. On Holland America a 14 day or longer cruise is $250 OBC. Not sure what it is under 14 days. You just send in proof to HAL and it will show up as OBC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks to you both for the info. Can we buy the stocks thru Vanguard, who we use for other things.

Found the info.

Another question though. If I bought it now, could I apply it to a couple of cruises we already have booked?

Edited by Jean1946

Thanks to you both for the info. Can we buy the stocks thru Vanguard, who we use for other things.

Found the info.

Another question though. If I bought it now, could I apply it to a couple of cruises we already have booked?

As long as you have 2 weeks or more before your cruise, you can submit the proof and get the credit. It doesn't matter when you purchase the stock or book the cruise.

<SNIP>

Yes it will, so long as you get the info into HAL more than 7 or so days before the cruise. Make sure you add your reservation number, ship and day of departure to what you send in. Also, be sure to redact any personal information (account numbers, SSN, even other stock other than CCL) from the statement you send in.

Edited by 0bnxshs

We purchased our 100 shares in 2009 for $18. & change & it's up to almost $50 a share now..We've collected over $1600 in OBC's plus dividends every year..

You should send a copy of your brokerage Account statement indicating your stock purchase at least 2 weeks prior to departure.. We black out all of our other stocks & bonds on our account when we send our statements in..

6 days or less the OBC is $50

7 to 13 days the OBC is $100

14 days or more the OBC is $250

Send your request to:

HOLLAND AMERICA LINE

World Cruise Reservations

300 Elliott Avenue West

Seattle, WA 98119

Tel 800 522 3399

Fax 206 281 0627

BTW I always ask for an e-mail confirmation that the OBC has been applied to our cruises..

Edited by serendipity1499

Found the info.

We purchased it through our sBroker, but understand you can also purchase it on-line...Sorry don't know anything about Vanguard..

Our Broker retired & we have a new one who was given orders Never to touch our CCL stock..:D:DLOL

You can definitely have it applied to all your booked cruises..:D

It's one of the best investments we've made..

Found the info.

You can. We did. If all you have is a Vanguard mutual fund account, you'll need to open a brokerage account. It's pretty straightforward. If you have any questions, just call Vanguard. If you have a big enough Vanguard account, they'll waive the fees and give you personal support. Even if you have a limited amount invested, it's still pretty easy and the fees are low.

WOW! thanks to all for the great information. Will have hubby get right on this tomorrow. If we both have 100 shares do we each get the $250 OBC?

We have a 7 day in September and a 38 day in March, so this will come in right handy!

WOW! thanks to all for the great information. Will have hubby get right on this tomorrow. If we both have 100 shares do we each get the $250 OBC?

We have a 7 day in September and a 38 day in March, so this will come in right handy!

No. It's per cabin.

Only if you sometimes don't cruise together. Since I sometimes cruise without DH, I have the shares in my Roth IRA. He's never been on a cruise without me (except as a child), so we didn't see any sense having any in his name.

Are there any advantages to us both having shares?

At my first meet and greet, I was advised to buy the stock but I didn't see a lot of cruises in my future and was nervous. Stupid, stupid me.

Finally did just over a year ago and we will have $1,000 in obc at our next cruise. That's on top of what the stock has done. I already have a 30% return despite what it has done in the market (well).

I have told my financial planner - this stock is not open to discussion at least, not for now.

Not really. Assuming you hold your account with joint tenancy or joint tenancy with right of survivorship, either one of you could use the benefit. Look at your account statement. If it says "JTWROS," or something similar, you are both covered. JTWROS is very common, and it's what most couples would have.

Not really. Assuming you hold your account with joint tenancy or joint tenancy with right of survivorship, either one of you could use the benefit. Look at your account statement. If it says "JTWROS," or something similar, you are both covered. JTWROS is very common, and it's what most couples would have.

that's an unregistered account right POA1? not an IRA or RSP (in Canada).

I'm not sure where Jean1946 is from, but if she is not from the U.S. the taxes in Canada are not favourable with U.S. stocks so we hold them in an R.S.P. Under those cases it is not JTWROS. DH is the beneficiary of course, but they can't be joint.

Just want to point out that outside of the U.S. you do have to look at tax ramifications and the best way to do it.

No as POA mentioned it's per cabin & you can only get the OBC for the 100 shares.. We have 100 shares in our joint stock brokerage account in both our names JTWROS, but we also claim the dividends on our federal income tax.. We don't have to report the OBC though.. You will get OBC on both your cruises..

If you live in Canada, you should look into how the stock should be purchased as Kazu suggests..

We delayed for a long time too..Finally after constantly hearing about it on this forum & after many cruises we decided to purchase it in 2009.. Best stock we've ever bought & now wish we had bought more as it's increased a great deal...

Edited by serendipity1499

I'm not sure where Jean1946 is from, but if she is not from the U.S. the taxes in Canada are not favourable with U.S. stocks so we hold them in an R.S.P. Under those cases it is not JTWROS. DH is the beneficiary of course, but they can't be joint.

Just want to point out that outside of the U.S. you do have to look at tax ramifications and the best way to do it.

There have been several articles within the last few months on this subject in the Globe and Mail, and this item from TD Wealth provides a good summary: http://advisors.tdwaterhouse.ca/public/projectfiles/011b7cdf-f530-455d-94af-4f4b63cf9504.pdf

There have been several articles within the last few months on this subject in the Globe and Mail, and this item from TD Wealth provides a good summary: http://advisors.tdwaterhouse.ca/public/projectfiles/011b7cdf-f530-455d-94af-4f4b63cf9504.pdf

Pretty basic stuff for us North of the border. room in an R.S.P. solves all the issues ;)

and now, back to our regularly scheduled programme :)

I'm not sure if this covers every single type of account, but our regular non-retirement account, my retirement accounts, and my lovely & talented wife's retirement accounts are all jointly held. If one of us croaks, the account passes to the surviving spouse unencumbered. The designation makes the account a non-probate asset.