Heads Up About UBP on Disembarkation Day

Medtech2

I didn't give it much thought, and it's not a big deal, but DH ordered a Pepsi with breakfast the last morning like he had all week with the UBP. I just noticed I was charged $3.67 on my charge card.

The waiter had said we would be paying tax because we were in port but it looks like the UBP "expired" and we were charged the whole cost.

Just an FYI

I haven't tested it on every cruise, but I've had drinks on disembarkation morning (from the Atrium Bar or from the Garden Café bar) and they have been included in the UBP. Never a charge.

With soda they may have punched it in as a can of soda (or maybe he actually got a can of soda)?

I haven't tested it on every cruise, but I've had drinks on disembarkation morning (from the Atrium Bar or from the Garden Café bar) and they have been included in the UBP. Never a charge.

With soda they may have punched it in as a can of soda (or maybe he actually got a can of soda)?

Well, the waiter specifically mentioned the taxes as he knew we had the UBP. We had the same waiter all week. During the week DH was handed the odd can here or there but we weren't charged then....

Okay, so now someone needs to test this theory, lol.

Like I said, it wasn't a big deal, just a surprise...

Our drinks under UBP have always appeared on our bill throughout the cruise, then after a period of time (sometimes overnight) they get zeroed out and vanish from the bill. I wonder if this one just didn't have time to get zeroed out? I wonder if you'd headed straight to guest services if it would have been taken off? (Not that you'd want to do that that morning over such a tiny amount, just thinking about it out of curiosity.)

So, we have never cruised NCL before, but does this put truth to the rumour we have very recently come upon in regards to being charged 7 percent tax on any drink you get while in port of Miami?

I'm not sure of the exact % but yes, you are charged local taxes while in port...

It doesn't add up to enough that it deterred us from ordering Bon Voyage drinks, though...

Our drinks under UBP have always appeared on our bill throughout the cruise, then after a period of time (sometimes overnight) they get zeroed out and vanish from the bill. I wonder if this one just didn't have time to get zeroed out? I wonder if you'd headed straight to guest services if it would have been taken off? (Not that you'd want to do that that morning over such a tiny amount, just thinking about it out of curiosity.)

Especially since we more than got our Promo money's worth out of that package:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D (got it before they started not including the gratuities, also)

I just find it strange... We have cruised with Celebrity a few times and have never had so many nickel and dime charges. We only booked our cruise with NCL yesterday and feel like it was the wrong decision. Looking for something to ease our minds. How can they charge you tax on something that is free? Something to ask NCL I guess...

I just find it strange... We have cruised with Celebrity a few times and have never had so many nickel and dime charges. We only booked our cruise with NCL yesterday and feel like it was the wrong decision. Looking for something to ease our minds. How can they charge you tax on something that is free? Something to ask NCL I guess...

That would be a question for the State of Florida, not NCL. It's a state sales tax.

I didn't give it much thought, and it's not a big deal, but DH ordered a Pepsi with breakfast the last morning like he had all week with the UBP. I just noticed I was charged $3.67 on my charge card.

The waiter had said we would be paying tax because we were in port but it looks like the UBP "expired" and we were charged the whole cost.

Just an FYI

Got off the BA on Feb 14th.

While we were waiting to disembark, Another couple that we got acquainted with during the cruise told us they tried to order a mimosa with breakfast and were told that their UBP would not work, it was not good for disembarkation day.

I guess this is another cut back but I don't think it is right!

on the first day you only get half a day because you don't get on the ship until around noon, so if you buy it, you pay for 7 days but only get 6 1/2 days.

While we were waiting to disembark, Another couple that we got acquainted with during the cruise told us they tried to order a mimosa with breakfast and were told that their UBP would not work, it was not good for disembarkation day.

I guess this is another cut back but I don't think it is right!

on the first day you only get half a day because you don't get on the ship until around noon, so if you buy it, you pay for 7 days but only get 6 1/2 days.

I think this expiration of the UBP went into effect last October. On my 9/28 Pearl cruise, I was able to get a mimosa on disembarkation morning using the UBP. On my 11/2 Pearl cruise, when I tried to order a mimosa, I was told on disembarkation morning that the UBP ended the night before. Just off the Sun on 2/13 and was told the bar was closed disembarkation morning - no UBP.

Edited by herdingdogmom

That stinks if it's a new policy (to be confirmed, everybody ask on your next cruise!). It would be great if they would put things like this in writing in the terms of the package.

I was able to get an Irish coffee on the last morning from the Atrium Bar on the Epic as recently as Christmas 2015. But maybe they were just being nice? Maybe they didn't ring it up? I didn't pay close enough attention.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

We have sailed out of Florida 3 times and never once were charged taxes on anything purchased aboard a ship so therefore, I do believe it's a question for NCL... Thanks for your responses. Have a wonderful evening.

Within 2 or 3 miles of the port, yes, you were charged taxes. Perhaps you were already farther out before you bought anything...

Once out to sea there will be no taxes....

Within 2 or 3 miles of the port, yes, you were charged taxes. Perhaps you were already farther out before you bought anything...

Once out to sea there will be no taxes....

Oh, no, that's not the case. Trust me, we have had our fair share of martinis before leaving port on embarkation day. We are usually some of the first people on the ship (around 11:30am) and did not leave until 5pm. Different companies do things differently I suppose.

Here's a good example. So you get the basic dining plan from Disney for free at Disney world on the promotions they have the odd time... You get your food and don't pay a dime of tax... That's smack dab in the centre of Florida lol Floridas obviously not regulated properly or something. I don't know.. but I know for sure Celebrity did not even charge me tax on the beverage package upgrade let alone the multiple drinks the last 3 times in port 6 hours before sail away lol it's not much tax on top of every drink I know. But can anyone tell me what the tax is on a drink that's costing me $0 lol it is just odd I have many similar scenarios, and this will be the first one charging tax on a free promotion. Just strange and a bit like a money grab it is. Come on Disney of all nickel and dimers isn't doing it lol

Oh, no, that's not the case. Trust me, we have had our fair share of martinis before leaving port on embarkation day. We are usually some of the first people on the ship (around 11:30am) and did not leave until 5pm. Different companies do things differently I suppose.

If your drinks are truly included in the fare, as on some lines, then there is no charge per drink. With UBP, there is a charge, but then it's backed out - as others have said. You have to pay tax on the value of the drink. Without UBP, you pay for the drink, and in port, you pay tax on the drink, as well.

I think.

Edited by xriva

I too was unable to get a mimosa on the last morning of my Pearl cruise in October and my Star cruise in November. Let me clarify I could get the drink but I would have to pay for it as apparently my UBP had did not include that final morning. I will 'test' the theory next month when I do a B2B on the Epic, turnaround day will just be a port day for me so I should be able to get an alcoholic beverage served.

As for the taxes, on the above mentioned cruises I was charged the tax in Miami and Tampa.

I wonder how it works on the Sky now that it is all inclusive on the ship as far as alcoholic beverages are concerned? Anyone with recent experience? Miami is the exact same port regardless of which ship sails out of its waters. So the policy should be the same but it also doesn't seem right when those drinks are included in the base fare and taxes have already been paid on that?

Rochelle

That would be a question for the State of Florida, not NCL. It's a state sales tax.

But on Celebrity you don't pay it. I guess Celebrity does, I don't know, but it isn't billed to the customer. My husband and I had quite a few drinks before the Celebrity Reflection left Miami!

It's not just NCL. This happens on Carnival and Royal Caribbean ships as well. I'm surprised that Celebrity didn't charge you.