DD just canceled bc of Zika virus

I put together a family group cruise last July for this July. I found out just last week that my beautiful daughter is 7 wks pregnant. But today she told me that the OB/GYN advised against her traveling to Caribbean and definitely not to Puerto Rico. She said Zika virus is a huge problem there. Carnival has refunded some of her money and the rest will go towards a future cruise. She did not have travel insurance so this was a very nice jesture in Carnivals behalf. Happy she was able to get a refund but sad she will not be joining us. Down to 6 cabins now, hope we lose no more in our last 3 weeks.

I put together a family group cruise last July for this July. I found out just last week that my beautiful daughter is 7 wks pregnant. But today she told me that the OB/GYN advised against her traveling to Caribbean and definitely not to Puerto Rico. She said Zika virus is a huge problem there. Carnival has refunded some of her money and the rest will go towards a future cruise. She did not have travel insurance so this was a very nice jesture in Carnivals behalf. Happy she was able to get a refund but sad she will not be joining us. Down to 6 cabins now, hope we lose no more in our last 3 weeks.

Smart lady. Better safe than sorry.

Congratulations to you (grandma) and best wishes to your daughter for a happy and healthy pregnancy. So sorry you won't be able to vacation together, but she is making a very wise decision. Nice to hear that carnival is being cooperative. If it was my daughter, I can't imagine any amount of money lost worth risking an unhealthy baby. Good luck to all!!

Thank you, thank you! I am very excited as this is my first grandbaby. I am happy about her decision. I would never want her to risk her health or that of her unborn child. She will be missed but we totally understand her reasoning.

Thank you, thank you! I am very excited as this is my first grandbaby. I am happy about her decision. I would never want her to risk her health or that of her unborn child. She will be missed but we totally understand her reasoning.

Very smart of her to cancel since she is pregnant.

You must have booked Early Saver & that is why she received some of her money back (kept $50/pp) and put balance in escrow for future cruise.

Very smart of her to cancel since she is pregnant.

You must have booked Early Saver & that is why she received some of her money back (kept $50/pp) and put balance in escrow for future cruise.

OP is 21 days from cruise date. She is well within the penalty period. Zika cancelation is the exception otherwise she would have lost 75% of the cruise fare.

There will be other times.

Smart move . It really seems strange that more people are not canceling. Zika is very serious

What data base are you using to determine "that more people are not cancelling"?

I know of a few that cancelled but either didn't announce it on CC or are not members

I am sorry she can't come but that is one awesome reason for canceling. Grandkids are the best! Wayyy better than the ingrates what make 'em. ;)

But those little ones grow up to be ingrates themselves.

To the OP: Your daughter did the right thing. You want a perfect grandchild and your daughter is only thinking about the health and welfare of both her and the baby. There will be plenty of other cruises waiting for her and the family. Congrats on the soon to be grandchild. BTW, see how important trip insurance is?

First of all I agree 100% with the OP's daughter's decision to cancel due to pregnancy and I would've done the same had someone in my group been pregnant. But I would've not canceled under different circumstances.

The reports of Zika have been greatly blown out of proportion. The current statistics show that your chance of infection in Puerto Rico is .001%, and that's assuming that you take zero precautions. We just returned from an 8 day vacation in Puerto Rico. In addition, we cruised to San Juan in May. In both cases, we didn't worry much, even traveling with small children. We took all the recommended precautions and had a worry free vacation. I grew up in the Caribbean and I know that mosquito-borne illnesses have always been a part of life there. You just protect yourself and carry on. Zika happens to be the new "kid on the block" so it's obviously getting a lot of attention.

As mentioned at the beginning, I do agree with the OP's decision. Even if the chance of infection is minimal, the long term effects on a baby could be devastating. Not worth the risk.

Edited by Tapi

The biggest risk from Zika seems to be for women of childbearing years and those that are already pregnant and their babies.

As DH and I are wayyyyy past the baby stages the Caribbean doesn't feel like a much bigger threat than any other mosquito borne disease, at least at this time. And yes, of course we'll take appropriate precautions :)

One of the first of many thousands of things your DD will do in her lifetime for the love of her child. Congrats to you, Grandma! Holding the baby of your baby is one of life's greatest gifts.

Ty so beautifully put! I can not wait to hold this new life!

Don't forget that those ingrates are images of who made said ingrates... sorta makes us wish we didn't drink that night! :D

I think the ingratiness skips a generation...my poor grandpa gets to hang out with my granddaughters so he gets me and them with my folks and my kids on the ingrate side. My oldest granddaughter is 16 so if Grandpa can hang on a while he might get to see great-great-great grandkids....(he's only 95 and generally in better health than I am lol)