Tell Cunard to reinstate the old Princess Grill Menu

resistk

Cunard still has the old Princess Grill a la carte Menu on their website:

http://www.cunard.com/Documents/Menus/Queen%20Victoria/1/Queen_Victoria_Princess_Grill_A_La_Carte.pdf

I was subjected to the new Princess Grill a la carte menu in July on the QM2 and given the price paid surely did not find the new menu "pleasantly lighter" nor did I like being relieved of all those choices.

https://postimg.org/image/qn51k99e9/

I will be embarking west bound tomorrow and am praying they scrap this menu and bring back the old one. The current a la carte menu offers far less than the everyday menu selections on Princess Cruise Lines or Celebrity.

I definitely won't be in any rush to book anything more until Cunard fixes the situation. On another note am just off the Caribbean Princess and the Cunard food now comes in a poor second in quantity, selection and preparation. Noted that Princess has Italian and not Indian heads chefs.

Edited by resistk

The Executive chef of the QM2 is from Yorkshire not India. If this issue of a new 'Princess Grill' menu change, (in line with this Remastering/refit) means so much to you, why not make an appointment to have a sit down private face to face meeting with him. All your postings on here are to no avail.

Many on this board are of the opinion that 'at last' there has to be a differential between the two brands, otherwise we'd all be booking Princess Grill and the QG would end up with almost 95% of upgrades.

Edited by Bell Boy

The Executive chef of the QM2 is from Yorkshire not India. If this issue of a new 'Princess Grill' menu change, (in line with this Remastering/refit) means so much to you, why not make an appointment to have a sit down private face to face meeting with him. All your postings on here are to no avail.

Many on this board are of the opinion that 'at last' there has to be a differential between the two brands, otherwise we'd all be booking Princess Grill and the QG would end up with almost 95% of upgrades.

That is surely nonsense. Princess Grill brand has been well established for years; there is no sudden need to downgrade the food as the Queens Grill cabins are surely not going unbooked and that is not the way to treat your customers in any event by offering less not more. And I surely have complained. The only thing that will move Cunard is if they feel some heat from their loyal base. I have Diamond status and feel I was ripped off by Cunard. I expect improvements not economies.

Well I just checked the Cunard website for updated info and under QM2 dinning they updated only the Queens Grill dinner menu...And its much smaller in the AL la carat section..down to 5 appetizers and 5 entries and gone are the rack of lamb, lobster thermadore, duck a la orange..replaced with rather exotic sounding items. The main menu has 2 "Cunard classics " listed and everything else is something I have never see on the menu . Im sure its seen as getting ride of the old school "dated " items, never mind that many loved the menu as it was.

Yes the Princess menu was close to Queens but it seems each menu was reduced..As far as upgrades for the last 3 crossings I have been on most if not all the passengers at my table were upgraded into Queens grill ,some from princess,others from Britannia ..I was the only booked Q grade

Edited by sfbearcat

That is surely nonsense. Princess Grill brand has been well established for years; there is no sudden need to downgrade the food as the Queens Grill cabins are surely not going unbooked and that is not the way to treat your customers in any event by offering less not more. And I surely have complained. The only thing that will move Cunard is if they feel some heat from their loyal base. I have Diamond status and feel I was ripped off by Cunard. I expect improvements not economies.

Good Evening resistk, I too have Diamond status ( was immediately elevated to it on the day the new level was introduced) I've often felt ripped off when I've occasionally travelled in QG, knowing that there wasn't all that much of a difference in the two brands when it came to dinning in the evenings.

We booked princess grill for a short cruise in November after I showed my wife the lovely menus on the Cunard website .

Only a few days later the new a la carte menu was on cc.

I phoned Cunard who told me nothing had changed and they would email the ship to get the menus, this went on for two weeks....still they would not admit that they had downgraded the menus.

So emailed David Noyes all I got back was a bog standard letter.

I phoned the sender of the letter and after 35mins on the phone they agreed to let us down grade to a balcony cabin, after all why pay for PG if it's no longer worth the money.

The whole point is they sold me something and then changed it and not just a small bit, over 20 items had been taken off the menu, no more requesting for special dishes etc.

I will not be ripped off by any one.

I never have been able to get the Princess Grill concept. Sort of like only being slightly pregnant. Either one goes Grill (Queens) or one goes Britannia anything in between is again slightly preggers.

Having said that, I think the aft least expensive Princess Grill balconies on the two lesser Queens are quite nice especially for a world cruise or a longer med cruise with lots of ports.

So why does Cunard need to economize given the relatively high fares they charge? The other Carnival lines do not seem to be cutting back on food just the opposite. In fact the Caribbean Princess now had self serve unlimited red and golden caviar in the buffet one night and all you can eat seafood several nights on a 12 day cruise. This bodes poorly and bucks the industry trend to give more not less value especially since fuel prices have nosedived.

I never have been able to get the Princess Grill concept. Sort of like only being slightly pregnant. Either one goes Grill (Queens) or one goes Britannia anything in between is again slightly preggers.

Having said that, I think the aft least expensive Princess Grill balconies on the two lesser Queens are quite nice especially for a world cruise or a longer med cruise with lots of ports.

You forget Cunard introduced Britannia Club, Cunard is the one proliferating classes. And Princess Grill is steep upcharge from Britannia; no reason the food should not be better or more varied.

Please let this posting be read and addressed by Cunard:

It would be appreciated if you would return to the previous Princess Grill menu.

(Goodness knows, those folks pay enough to have no complaints in their dining room !!!)

Thank you, Cunard.

(As you requested, I've told them, resistk. I just hope they are listening)

It would be appreciated if you would return to the previous Princess Grill menu.

(Goodness knows, those folks pay enough to have no complaints in their dining room !!!)

Thank you, Cunard.

I second that!

I've never travelled PG, but I've also never felt that someone was getting as good as me when we have been in QG. For us, QG is about the bigger suite as well as the food and that's why we go there.

If I'd shelled out PG prices (how about for an entire world cruise?) and sat down to a menu like that, as well as a severe restriction on going off menu as reported in another thread, I'd be more than a little peeved.

So I'm happy to support the call for a restoration of the menu as well. If the QG menu is indeed shrunken as well I'll be boarding in November with a list of now "off-menu" items to request.

Speaking as a fellow Yorkshireman, rest assured that the Head Chef will be able to rustle up a maginificent curry any day of the week. It's the curry capital of the UK, doncha know?

As the Cunard site currently shows 9 items on the Princess Grill A La Carte Menu, and the photo on the link only shows 3 items, are Cunard facing a legal challenge of not supplying the 'product' advertised on their website? I will be taking a copy with me! Mind you, at the moment, we are awaiting a P2 assignment, so who knows where we will end up......

Hopefully the OP will post a quick update after boarding and seeing the menu's.

I've never travelled PG, but I've also never felt that someone was getting as good as me when we have been in QG. For us, QG is about the bigger suite as well as the food and that's why we go there.

If I'd shelled out PG prices (how about for an entire world cruise?) and sat down to a menu like that, as well as a severe restriction on going off menu as reported in another thread, I'd be more than a little peeved.

I agree on the QG being about the larger suite and the amenities that go with the QG.

Trust me, the cost differential for PG over Britannia Club was substantial for the World Cruise that I have booked for 2018.

I hope that Cunard reconsiders it's current menu policy.

Yes the Princess menu was close to Queens but it seems each menu was reduced..As far as upgrades for the last 3 crossings I have been on most if not all the passengers at my table were upgraded into Queens grill ,some from princess,others from Britannia ..I was the only booked Q grade

If I've interpreted sfbearcat correctly, it's not just the PG menu that has been reduced/shortened? It's QG as well? Well that's an interesting turn of events for those who are saying it's about time there was more of a differential between the two :rolleyes:

The real issue here seems to be that we have all (PG and QG) been mis-sold this product. If a company chooses to change their 'offer', that's their prerogative, as long as it is advertised as such, in advance. Customers can then make an informed choice. That's not what's happened here.

Thank you, Cunard.

Right, I agree. And since the Grills menus have been reduced, it will be interesting to see the Rowers menu :eek:

Seriously, is anyone really surprised at these cut backs? The refit, a/k/a "Remastering", was well publicized and apparently well received...now it's time for passengers to pay the piper - or not.

-S.

Having seen some of the previous posts on Grills dining being downgraded, I saved an emailed advert from Cunard that was sent on 14th July.

For Queens Grill it includes the sentence below, but doesn't for Princess Grill. I'm going QG next month on QV for the first time, and have saved this email for reference if needed onboard,

"Enjoy a sublime menu in the Queens Grill restaurant or your suite, designed to whet every appetite. Should you not see what you want, our chefs will do their very utmost to create whatever takes your fancy"

The real issue here seems to be that we have all (PG and QG) been mis-sold this product. If a company chooses to change their 'offer', that's their prerogative, as long as it is advertised as such, in advance. Customers can then make an informed choice. That's not what's happened here.

This is what I tried to get across to Cunard, I was told by a senior customer service manager to take it up with ABTA .

The lady in David Noyes office told me to take it to a third party IE a solicitor .

They are not nice people and truly don't seem to have any customer service after they have your deposit!! Truly astonishing attitude from Cunard.

So why does Cunard need to economize given the relatively high fares they charge? The other Carnival lines do not seem to be cutting back on food just the opposite. In fact the Caribbean Princess now had self serve unlimited red and golden caviar in the buffet one night and all you can eat seafood several nights on a 12 day cruise. This bodes poorly and bucks the industry trend to give more not less value especially since fuel prices have nosedived.

since the Seabourn Odyssey was launched , it is one cutback after another on the once so good Seabourn product :mad:

I completely agree with you Helvic on the subject of customer service! Unfortunately we had paid a hefty deposit for our upcoming cruise before our last 1 which we were quite dissatisfied with. Our comments were just dismissed. We won't be booking another

Well, I for one thought the old PG a la carte menu was pretty tired; "elegant" dishes from approximately 50 years ago. We tried the duck on our last trip and it was fine, but it was also unexciting. And so I think the new menu looks great.

Admittedly short; but who is to say they won't change it often?

I also take exception to the Italian=good vs Indian=bad chef remark. What is that about?

We have travelled in all classes with Cunard and found that, in the past, the menus in QG and PG were a delight.

However, we have gravitated to Oceania, which has great food and included speciality restaurants, as well as beautifully appointed cabins and smaller ships.

Looking at the new menus it seems unlikely that we will pay the huge premium to stay in QG or PG again.