Hotel near Brooklyn Port?

DrivesLikeMario

Good questions that I should've provided!

We are arriving by air - very long flight from So. Cal., so all we want is a very nice hotel that is very clean and near the port.

We won't be going out to see the sites or anything (been there/done that).

Just want easy access to the port for embarkation the next morning.

Money - doesn't really matter as long as it's nice and clean.

Friday night in Sept.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Good questions that I should've provided!

We are arriving by air - very long flight from So. Cal., so all we want is a very nice hotel that is very clean and near the port.

We won't be going out to see the sites or anything (been there/done that).

Just want easy access to the port for embarkation the next morning.

Money - doesn't really matter as long as it's nice and clean.

Friday night in Sept.

OK - so it looks like Sep 29. Which airport are you flying into?

Interesting rates. Downtown Brooklyn is showing base rates of $250-290+ plus tax (Marriott, Fairfield Inn, Sheraton, Hilton) However I'm seeing $180-190 plus tax for the Wall St area for 4* Club quarters and World Center as well as Residence Inn.

Thanks - JFK. I think I'm finding some good ones in the Brooklyn area (EVEN, Dazzler, and an Aloft) that I can get for free with points.

Points are always a consideration. My thought was that if you flew into JFK and stayed in lower Manhattan, you would be eligible for the flat rate taxi fare from JFK and would have a quick ride to the port through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (Hugh Carey Tunnel). Even if you don't want to sightsee, you could easily see the 911 Memorial if you haven't ever done that. For JFK to Brooklyn a taxi would be metered or you can book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo for a flat rate plus tip.

Let's see what the New Yorkers have to say.

Edited by 138east

If you don't mind a room smaller than your ship cabin, the Super 8 on the Park Slope area is $129 for two adults. The building is about 5 years old and was clean and in good shape when we were there a few years ago. It's about a $10 fare for a black car to the port.

There's a Holiday Inn Express within a couple of blocks of the Super 8 but I have no experience with it.

I would check out latest & current reviews on Tripadvisor about franchised chain properties like Super 8, if any in southeast Brooklyn by the pier, the Marriott in downtown catered to business travelers, pricey & not a good value unless OP has tons of points to use (and, I would save them for another date/use). HI Express brand is probably better choice, if price competitive or available with booking points - most of these chains are along/just off the busy 4th Avenue corridor with the subway lines running underground - and, there are local car services to call for the short ride to Red Hook pier.

Carmel showing $49 to $54 for a sedan ride to HIE on Union Street, before any discount, so it's a little less than going into Lower Manhattan - trip time will be about the same w. more traffic lights/stop signs on local streets.

September is traditionally high season for hotel, both occupancy & rates - downtown Wall Street's Marriott sometimes can go as low as $179 + T&F. JFK yellow taxi fares with a flat rate + toll will run about $60 and Dial 7 / Carmel is about the same, usually a little less w. online discount coupon. Late Friday night arrival, should be easy - Uber/Lyft might be less, if there's no surge pricing as their rates can bounce all over until you book the ride ... not a fan of either "sharing" services, personally.

FYI - further south @Sunset Park - from around 36th Street to mid 40th Street on 4th Avenue, a few more Comfort/Quality/HI/Days Inn franchised chain motel, small/compact rooms intended for short stay overnight or 2 days - with basic features, typical coffee/"juice"/toast breakfast - might be fine for frugal travelers looking a bed & a shower after long-haul flights (just check under the bed/sheets ... seen/heard/read the random reports about bugs & dirty linens, etc.) There's a McDonald, KFC, Dunkin Donuts & of course, quite a few local deli's for a hot breakfast sandwich in the morning - late, late night dining would be very limited, in any at all (takeout/delivery usually closed by 10 or 11 PM ... in case OP is wondering, so plan accordingly.)

Well, the Holiday Inn in Downtown Brooklyn was showing $789 a night so they must have some convention that has booked it.

We've been there/done that with the 9/11 Memorial so have no desire to see it again. We have Marriott points, but that one in Brooklyn is very costly in points, so we wouldn't have enough to stay there.

I'm thinking we might stay at JFK itself and then we only have one Uber fare directly to the ship the next morning. Is that a good idea? Will have to research to see if there are any decent chain hotels there.

And yes, love TripAdvisor and rely on the reviews a lot! Thanks everyone for the help! :)

Well, the Holiday Inn in Downtown Brooklyn was showing $789 a night so they must have some convention that has booked it.

We've been there/done that with the 9/11 Memorial so have no desire to see it again. We have Marriott points, but that one in Brooklyn is very costly in points, so we wouldn't have enough to stay there.

I'm thinking we might stay at JFK itself and then we only have one Uber fare directly to the ship the next morning. Is that a good idea? Will have to research to see if there are any decent chain hotels there.

And yes, love TripAdvisor and rely on the reviews a lot! Thanks everyone for the help! :)

JFK is the one place that no one will recommend staying because the hotels out there are often used for emergency housing. Bottom line - lousy idea

JFK is the one place that no one will recommend staying because the hotels out there are often used for emergency housing. Bottom line - lousy idea

Definitely not JFK area!! Just trust us on this. I agree going with a brand name in Brooklyn is the best idea. Did you check Marriott Brooklyn Bridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

JFK airport hotels are mostly off the Beltway's north side service road in the middle of nowhere - consider only as a last resort, as noted - has its share of crime & substance abuse (DEA busts) - here's one of the more recent ones - victim was reported in grave & life threatening conditions initially but thankfully, recovered (I believe) ... haven't come across an update on those arrested.

Needless to say, NOT recommended - not even the Marriott or similar brands, some under contract to the "feds" also. There's a few across the city line in Nassau (Lawrence, NY) a short shuttle ride from the terminals that are somewhat better, but ...

Even late night, free shuttles to the airport hotel usually involved taking the free AirTrain ride for 1 or more short stops over to Federal Circle stop, where the rental cars and hotel drivers will meet & drive the guests back to their location ... not exactly very convenient on a late night, as the "loop" can be as much as 30 to 45 minutes, or more with a not-so-simple free transfer. Not to mention, the luggage cart at JFK is now @ $7 per use (not free at all) if hauling a lot of baggage but you can go from luggage area to the AirTrain to FC with it. If traffic is "light" late night - you are almost 3/4 way to your hotel far closer to the city.

Between U.S. Tennis Open, U.N. General Assembly & Fashion Week, and other events - September rates for hotel & occupancy are always high ... maybe book & lock in something now and keep checking for a better deal. Points are going to be a tough one, I'm afraid.

Edited by mking8288

Definitely not JFK area!! Just trust us on this. I agree going with a brand name in Brooklyn is the best idea. Did you check Marriott Brooklyn Bridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, and it's over 50,000 points for one night. We won't be there to do anything other than sleep (arriving very late) and have breakfast the next morning.

Okay, thanks for explaining about the hotels near JFK. They were rated 4 and 4.5 stars on TripAdvisor, so I thought they'd be okay but as a non-local, I had no idea about the crime in that area. Looks like we had better plan for a hotel in the downtown Brooklyn area with 2 Uber rides (one to the hotel, one to the ship). Thanks very much!

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Yes, and it's over 50,000 points for one night. We won't be there to do anything other than sleep (arriving very late) and have breakfast the next morning.

Okay, thanks for explaining about the hotels near JFK. They were rated 4 and 4.5 stars on TripAdvisor, so I thought they'd be okay but as a non-local, I had no idea about the crime in that area. Looks like we had better plan for a hotel in the downtown Brooklyn area with 2 Uber rides (one to the hotel, one to the ship). Thanks very much!

Sounds like a plan. I would book a cancellable room and watch the prices. As you get closer to your date, you could see price drops. Ten months out is pretty early to book.

It's not just JFK hotels, there are 45 hotels and 1,100 room a day Homeless Services uses for emergency sheltering. There aren't 45 hotels just at JFK though a lot of the large major chain hotels near JFK are used for that as well as sequestered juries (been there done that).

I'm so glad I came across this thread! Have the same question regarding recommended hotels close to the port.

We are sailing the NE/Canada cruise on the Regal Princess 10/7. We are flying in on 10/6 into Newark.

How far is it from Newark to Brooklyn and then to the Brooklyn cruise terminal. Princess says that Brooklyn is most likely the embarkation port but they could change it to Manhatten. Will look into the Marriott Brooklyn bridge. Any hotel recommendations close to the manhatten port?

I'm so glad I came across this thread! Have the same question regarding recommended hotels close to the port.

We are sailing the NE/Canada cruise on the Regal Princess 10/7. We are flying in on 10/6 into Newark.

How far is it from Newark to Brooklyn and then to the Brooklyn cruise terminal. Princess says that Brooklyn is most likely the embarkation port but they could change it to Manhatten. Will look into the Marriott Brooklyn bridge. Any hotel recommendations close to the manhatten port?

There is no problem with the hotels at Newark Airport. Why don't you stay there and go to the appropriate Cruiseport on 10/7 which is a Saturday morning? You should book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo for the trip from NJ to either Manhattan or Brooklyn.

What time does your flight arrive? I'm guessing late afternoon or early evening if you're coming from Portland OR. No reason to get involved in a Friday rush hour trying to get somewhere in NYC. Saturday morning would be a much easier trip.

Hotels at EWR are more reasonable. We can make specific recommendations if you tell us your budget, number of people, type of beds, and any other requirements.

There is no problem with the hotels at Newark Airport. Why don't you stay there and go to the appropriate Cruiseport on 10/7 which is a Saturday morning? You should book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo for the trip from NJ to either Manhattan or Brooklyn.

What time does your flight arrive? I'm guessing late afternoon or early evening if you're coming from Portland OR. No reason to get involved in a Friday rush hour trying to get somewhere in NYC. Saturday morning would be a much easier trip.

Hotels at EWR are more reasonable. We can make specific recommendations if you tell us your budget, number of people, type of beds, and any other requirements.

Thanks Carol! Appreciate the advice of staying in Newark on Friday then going to the port the next morning. You're right...we arrive in Newark at 4pm on Friday evening. So it would be nice to avoid rush hour traffic. Right now, it's a room for just my husband and I. We like clean and contemporary/updated hotels. We usually stay at hotels like the Hyatt, Sheraton, Hilton, Marriott. As for budget, would $300 get us something good?

Thanks Carol! Appreciate the advice of staying in Newark on Friday then going to the port the next morning. You're right...we arrive in Newark at 4pm on Friday evening. So it would be nice to avoid rush hour traffic. Right now, it's a room for just my husband and I. We like clean and contemporary/updated hotels. We usually stay at hotels like the Hyatt, Sheraton, Hilton, Marriott. As for budget, would $300 get us something good?

About $200 will get you the main Marriott at the airport. Residence Inn and Embassy Suites are a little less and they are near the Jersey Gardens Mall.

Going solo on breakaway June 11. Never sailed out from east coast. Need suggestions on hotel and transport to port! Safe area!

What is your hotel budget? Are you flying or driving? If flying, what airport are you flying to? What time do you arrive on June 10? Do you want to sightsee in NY? Can you manage your luggage on accessible public transit (i.e. no stairs)?

If you're on a budget, don't book flights until you work out the total cost of your hotel and transfers. Manhattan hotels are super expensive, so if you're not sightseeing, then flying into EWR and staying overnight in NJ is the way to go. You can fly home from LGA or EWR.