Venice Pre Cruise hotel recommendation

cruisekap

Hi all,

I have not been to Venice and know nothing about where to stay. What is the ideal location to stay for a couple of days before cruising? I am interested in walking around the city but also want convenience for embarkation. Is the traffic heavy on the way to the port?

Thanks for the input.

Kathy

Venice is quite pricey, however if you do a little research you can find reasonable lodging. But, can you easily manage your luggage?

Traffic to the port isn't really an issue. If you look at a venice map you'll see that after you cross the causeway from the mainland into Venice, the port is almost immediately on your right, and just a little beyond that is Piazzale Roma, where all land traffic must end. A lot of cruise folks stay here because it's convenient ... 1. the ATVO express bus or a taxi drops you off here, 2. the Grand Canal is about 2 blocks away so easy access to water buses, 3. the People Mover is here (3 minute monorail to the port).

If you can't manage your luggage there are 2 hotels at P Roma. But if you can manage a 5 minute walk and a small bridge there are several other hotels to choose from and are less expensive. This link has info on hotels in the PRoma area:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

OR, there is a left luggage facility at PRoma .... leave your luggage there, pack an overnight bag and then you can easily stay anywhere in Venice. i think it's about 7E per bag per 24 hrs.

OR take the Alilaguna boat from the airport to Venice; a great way to approach Venice. But it can take up to 1 1/2 hrs to reach your hotel depending on it's location. Not a bad way to spend an hour ! unless your exhausted. Stay at a hotel near an Alilaguna stop if you can't manage your luggage. And you can take the Alilaguna to the port. Look down the page in this link for hotels on the Alilaguna lines. On the map they are the red and blue balls. (also on that map ... you'll see where the port is, and P Roma is at the green ball marked Buses, Taxis, People Mover.) http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/

Keep in mind that Venice is pretty small. ie if you look at that map, it's about a 10 minute walk from Rialto Bridge to St Marks. If you have a good sense of direction you can walk from PRoma to St Marks in 45 minutes.

After budget, luggage seems to be the determining factor for most people. I travel light .... one wheeled case and a backpack or shoulder tote. Makes life much easier.

If you have 2 or 3 nites you might want to look at a small apt. I liked having a small kitchen for snacks drinks and for an easy b'fast.

The Venice for Visitors site has a wealth of information on hotels, various transportation options, sightseeing, other islands, etc Here's the main index

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm

Edited by mapleleaves
typos

• 2 weeks later...

Mapleleaves gave excellent info in post below. We stayed at Best Western Olimpia Hotel last November for it's location near transportation (easy walk from bus dropoff from airport, easy walk to vaporetto, only one bridge with a few steps to cross with luggage, easy walk to People Mover to get to port), excellent ratings on TripAdvisor, GREAT price, and fabulous breakfast!. Hotel staff are welcoming and will help with any questions. Get a canal view room if possible.

Mapleleaves gave excellent info in post below. We stayed at Best Western Olimpia Hotel last November for it's location near transportation (easy walk from bus dropoff from airport, easy walk to vaporetto, only one bridge with a few steps to cross with luggage, easy walk to People Mover to get to port), excellent ratings on TripAdvisor, GREAT price, and fabulous breakfast!. Hotel staff are welcoming and will help with any questions. Get a canal view room if possible.

Looks lovely but may be difficult to access with my travel scoot. I may be better off with the Chiara. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks lovely but may be difficult to access with my travel scoot. I may be better off with the Chiara. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just make sure you know what you are booking here. The 'Classic' rooms are in the nearby three star annexe. The more expensive rooms are in the main four star building. However I believe the annexe rooms are adapted for the disabled.

• 8 months later...
We stayed at Santa Chiara. Right off the bus from the airport, cross the parking lot and you're there. No bridges to maneuver. They have an elevator. Vaporetto stop right there and a supermarket by the stop for anything you may have forgotten. http://www.hotelsantachiara.it/ Old world charm for sure.

Ive booked this hotel in what they call the Annex. We don't plan on spending much time in the hotel, just have a day and half after getting off the cruise to see Venice. Do you think the Annex is okay. I believe no view but we will be out and about. If you know something about the Annex of this hotel, please advise.

Ive booked this hotel in what they call the Annex. We don't plan on spending much time in the hotel, just have a day and half after getting off the cruise to see Venice. Do you think the Annex is okay. I believe no view but we will be out and about. If you know something about the Annex of this hotel, please advise.

See my post #11 above. The annexe is in a separate building a little distance away and is three star not four star quality. If you read the reviews on Tripadvisor, some are happy with the annexe rooms and some are not. I think the ones who are not happy are the ones who didn’t realise what they were booking. I believe breakfast costs extra if you are in the annexe. I recommend you read reviews on TA and look at the photos there. Then you will see what you are getting and not be surprised. I suspect the rooms are fine but not luxurious.