ncl cancelled tracy arm excursion...any similar suggestions

emerylynne

I got an email that the tracy arm glacier excursion will now not be available on my sailing may 10th. I am truly bummed because it was the only excursion I did not have to cancell due to breaking my arm.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a similar excursion to get up close to the glaciers like that one was? I am headed to ncl excursion page to start hunting but was hoping somebody knew of one to search out.

thanks for any info

What about the Taku Lodge Flight & Feast? Is that available on your cruise?

You fly over the Juneau icefield and see several glaciers, then land on the Taku River right across from the Hole in the Wall Glacier and enjoy a delicious salmon BBQ. You have a chance of seeing bears (they come to eat the leftovers at the grill) and a chance to walk in a beautiful rainforest and enjoy the wilderness. Then it's back in the float plane to enjoy another flight over the glaciers as you head back to Juneau.

We really enjoyed our trip there in 2006.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560402105FjhZME

thanks for the info so far. I am going to speak to hubby about flightseeing the glaciers. He did not want to do any flying.

Is there calving at mendenhall? I found mendenhall glacier & wildlife quest on a boat.

what about misty fjord out of ketchikan? it does not specifically mention glaciers so would we see any?

thanks again for any input

I'm so sorry! Mendenhall Glacier does calve (we saw icebergs in Mendenhall Lake last May). From reading the description, it doesn't sound like you are right by the glacier but view it from Auke Bay, where they do the whale watching trips. We stopped for about 15 minutes or so last year with Harv & Marv to see the views of Mendenhall, but you're still a ways away.

There's also the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari out of Skagway. We looked at the last year, but decided to do the long train ride instead. I don't know if it would work with your arm or not, but here's the link for the excursion information: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/shorexDetails.html?groupId=SGY_25 We saw Davidson Glacier from the ship the first time we went to Alaska, and I'm still interested in doing this one sometime.

As far as Misty Fjord, we did the cruise excursion there last May and I don't remember seeing any glaciers -- at least not ones that came down to the water.

Mendenhall is a pretty inactive glacier, so don't count on any calving. The tour they are looking at has about a 30 min. stop there included with a ship excursion. Glacier Point out of Skagway is a great tour, with consistant raves. That's one to look at perhaps and make a priority, if you want glaciers?? No glaciers in Misty Fjords unless you book a specific longer glacier flight.

Budget Queen -- thanks for the clarification. Is there much difference from the Mendenhall excursion they mentioned vs. a whale watching tour combined with a stop at Mendenhall?

Also, have you done the Glacier Point excursion? It looks like you go to by catamaran part way and then switch to canoes. I'm wondering if it's the kind of thing where the passengers help paddle or if the guides take care of that?

The excursion rep that I emailed told me should could not find the Tracy Arm excursion for my dates and was supposed to get back to me after contacting a higher up. She has blown off my subsequent inquiries and I do not care enough to call at this point since I do not want to mess up my current excursion plans.

last year, all the ship had trouble until june...they had to turn around or were detoured to another glacier. i can understand not having those problems again.

i was wondering if anyone had heard the 'tween time frame that the tours will run? between june or late may to when?

what are the actual dates that this excrusion is available? since the cruise ships are going earlier and eariler and staying later?

That's an interesting question, and I don't know the answer. I'd rather know in advance that it's canceled than go expecting it and be disappointed, so it sounds like this is an improvement in the customer service department. The other thing I'd be interested in knowing is whether the cancellation of this excursion means that they're planning on doing Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier for these sailings, rather than attempting Tracy Arm. Hopefully returning cruisers will let us know.

Anyone else had this excursion canceled?

When I read this post I was concerned because I am booked on the May 14 Adventure Bound excursion to Tracy Arm. The Westerdam has one of the few itineraries that allows enough time for the excursion and it is one of the reasons I booked.

I called Adventure Bound this evening and they assured me they will be sailing on May 14. They begin trips to Tracy Arm on May 5.

She said Allen Marine provides the excursion on NCL via a catamaran. According to her these vessels do not navigate the ice as well as their boat and that is why Allen Marine is canceling.

I plan to call Adventure Bound again before we leave for Seattle on May 10 and after they begin their sailings on May 5.

B

I will admit to a few "Titanic" feelings as the Allen Marine catamaran was sailing through the ice when we did the NCL excursion. They reassured us that it was safe and that the hull had been reinforced so it could navigate the ice. However, I'm sure that's dependent on how much ice there is :eek: .

Another difference with the Adventure Bound excursion is that I think you've got more time. The NCL excursion doesn't leave Juneau until around 1 PM, and you still have to sail to the mouth of Tracy Arm. With that much additional time available, they can take it slower while they're dodging the icebergs and still have plenty of time to be out of the fjord by dusk.

Well, we are heading up on Sunday and are supposed to cruise Tracey Arm on April 30. I know that this is early, but I have heard that we may be able to get in the Arm a wee bit. With all the snow activity this past winter, I doubt that any ships are going to get up and close until July this year. Glacier Bay could also have issues too.

Nevertheless - we are on a cruise, so who cares? Missing a glacier isn't the end of the world.

Well, we are heading up on Sunday and are supposed to cruise Tracey Arm on April 30. I know that this is early, but I have heard that we may be able to get in the Arm a wee bit. With all the snow activity this past winter, I doubt that any ships are going to get up and close until July this year. Glacier Bay could also have issues too.

Nevertheless - we are on a cruise, so who cares? Missing a glacier isn't the end of the world.

One other minor clarification. Glacier Bay doesn't tend to have the ice problems, as it's such a much wider area. There might be issues with getting close to the glaciers themselves, but Glacier Bay shouldn't be an issue. What there may be issues with (not that it affects NCL cruisers) is Hubbard Glacier. I guess there's a chance it might be totally blocked off.

I'd be very interested in hearing if you end up getting into Tracy Arm at all, or if they detour you right to Endicott Arm. Please come back and tell us what happens -- and how the weather is that early in the season! Have a wonderful cruise!

what are the actual dates that this excrusion is available? since the cruise ships are going earlier and eariler and staying later?

I am cruising 5/3 and I looked at harv and marv for the tracy arm tour and they arent doing it yet that early in May....I believe I read that they were starting those middle-end of May.

I am cruising 5/3 and I looked at harv and marv for the tracy arm tour and they arent doing it yet that early in May....I believe I read that they were starting those middle-end of May.

I didn't realize that Harv & Marv were doing trips to Tracy Arm again. When we went whale watching with them last year, Capt. Jay mentioned that he'd done it in the past, but wasn't currently. That would be a wonderful excursion!

When I read this post I was concerned because I am booked on the May 14 Adventure Bound excursion to Tracy Arm. The Westerdam has one of the few itineraries that allows enough time for the excursion and it is one of the reasons I booked.

I called Adventure Bound this evening and they assured me they will be sailing on May 14. They begin trips to Tracy Arm on May 5.

She said Allen Marine provides the excursion on NCL via a catamaran. According to her these vessels do not navigate the ice as well as their boat and that is why Allen Marine is canceling.

I plan to call Adventure Bound again before we leave for Seattle on May 10 and after they begin their sailings on May 5.

B

I sailed AdventureBound a few years ago in mid-May (about the same time you are going or a week later). What had happened was that in early May, the temps were quite high and a lot of calving occurred but no rain, so none of the ice had been able to move down the fiord.

We did not get to see Sawyer Glacier at the end. We were told it was very rare that they did not get that close (and I believe him) and he indicated that he could possibly get to the face if he had 3-4 more hours but the fact that a few of us were on cruise ships and had to catch the ship, we had to turn around.

After saying that, I have to say that this has been my favorite excursion (sailed to Alaska 6x). Even though we didn't make it to the glacier, Capt Steve made the trip well worth it and I loved every minute of it (going up to water falls, going up to ice bergs and touching them, stopping to watch whales, etc..).

So - I have no doubt that your trip will take place. If for some reason you can not get to the end to see the glaciers, your trip will still be fabulous! Here are some pics from our trip:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/alaska2005/PhotoAlbum62.html

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/alaska2005/PhotoAlbum63.html

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/alaska2005/PhotoAlbum64.html

theresa

I sailed AdventureBound a few years ago in mid-May (about the same time you are going or a week later). What had happened was that in early May, the temps were quite high and a lot of calving occurred but no rain, so none of the ice had been able to move down the fiord.

We did not get to see Sawyer Glacier at the end. We were told it was very rare that they did not get that close (and I believe him) and he indicated that he could possibly get to the face if he had 3-4 more hours but the fact that a few of us were on cruise ships and had to catch the ship, we had to turn around.

After saying that, I have to say that this has been my favorite excursion (sailed to Alaska 6x). Even though we didn't make it to the glacier, Capt Steve made the trip well worth it and I loved every minute of it (going up to water falls, going up to ice bergs and touching them, stopping to watch whales, etc..).

So - I have no doubt that your trip will take place. If for some reason you can not get to the end to see the glaciers, your trip will still be fabulous! Here are some pics from our trip:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/alaska2005/PhotoAlbum62.html

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/alaska2005/PhotoAlbum63.html

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/alaska2005/PhotoAlbum64.html

theresa

Thank you for the encouragement. I have always wanted to take this excursion. I'll let you know how it went upon our return.

Thanks again.

B

• Administrators
I didn't realize that Harv & Marv were doing trips to Tracy Arm again. When we went whale watching with them last year, Capt. Jay mentioned that he'd done it in the past, but wasn't currently. That would be a wonderful excursion!

When I saw this post, I went exploring on their website -- it's a custom booking, and not inexpensive -- http://www.harvandmarvs.com/Tracyarm.html

but it does sound awesome. :) If we had a party large enough to justify a charter, I'd certainly consider it!

When I saw this post, I went exploring on their website -- it's a custom booking, and not inexpensive -- http://www.harvandmarvs.com/Tracyarm.html

but it does sound awesome. :) If we had a party large enough to justify a charter, I'd certainly consider it!

For a 9 hour tour, if you had a big enough group to fill their boat, it really wouldn't be that out of line for an Alaskan excursion. The other problem would be having long enough in port to make it work. Last year we were only in Juneau from 8 hours.

You know, maybe I need to do a Juneau land vacation instead of a cruise :D . Jay and his wife were building a bed and breakfast on their island. I could go spend 2 or 3 days with them, do a whale watching tour, and go to Tracy Arm.

Archived