New Wine Package (Over) Analysis

Well, I noticed someone posted (PH8, here's the posting: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=805432#post15312274)) that there is a wine & dine package for 3/4 day cruises so I updated my analysis. (It's really not as much work as it looks, Excel is good. (If you'd like a copy of the original spreadsheet just shoot me a message kappel202 at yahoo dot com))

The thing that I wasn't too sure about is the 15% gratuity. I noticed that the price for the 5 day package is $129.95. At the bottom it says prices are subject to a 15% gratuity. So it looks like it is $129.95 + 15%. But the price online for the gold package 5 bottle is $129.95 which includes the 15%. So, I made a page assuming the 3/4 day packages include the 15% and another one that assumes it doesn't. If there's confirmation either way I'll delete the extra page.

(Also the package seems to be a mix of the other packages. It's mostly the gold with two bottles from the platinum package. Odd.)

RCIWinePackage-v3.pdf

this is a great analysis, but the pricing is out of date. Does anyone have an updated analysis?

The prices are up to date. Online the prices include the 15% gratuity, if you order online you pay the price that includes 15%. If you order it on board the ship the price would be lower by 15% but then they would add the 15% gratuity.

I used the before 15% prices in the analysis because I wanted to make the comparison to the wine list which doesn't include the 15%.

For example, Diamond 5 bottle online the price is $157.55. On board the price would be $137 + 15% (which is $20.55).

Well, I noticed someone posted (PH8, here's the posting: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=805432#post15312274)) that there is a wine & dine package for 3/4 day cruises so I updated my analysis. (It's really not as much work as it looks, Excel is good. (If you'd like a copy of the original spreadsheet just shoot me a message kappel202 at yahoo dot com))

The thing that I wasn't too sure about is the 15% gratuity. I noticed that the price for the 5 day package is $129.95. At the bottom it says prices are subject to a 15% gratuity. So it looks like it is $129.95 + 15%. But the price online for the gold package 5 bottle is $129.95 which includes the 15%. So, I made a page assuming the 3/4 day packages include the 15% and another one that assumes it doesn't. If there's confirmation either way I'll delete the extra page.

(Also the package seems to be a mix of the other packages. It's mostly the gold with two bottles from the platinum package. Odd.)

Thank you so much for taking the time to do the list. I have it saved in my file now.

Judy:D

I just love this! We are having such fun taste-testing before we go. Best part of the preparations! :D Everyone's milage will vary, but I really liked the Caliterra Merlot; husband and I both hated the Rioja from the Diamond package. Now that I see what a deal some of the whites are, I might have to try those too! Fun, fun, fun!

Thanks!!

Finally printed out the spreadsheet -- great good -- thank you.

We usually buy the Platinum Package; my favourites are the Pinot Grigio, Danzante and the Organic Chardonnay, Badger Mountain (which I have never seen in a store).

My DH orders the Merlot, Robert Mondavi Private Selection.

I did not realize the Pinot Grigio, Danzante was in the Gold Package.

Looks like my DH and I will have to review his options for reds in the Gold Package.

This is fun.

Thanks

Kathy:)

WOW~~you sure put a lot of effort into that.......Thanks.....

YW, it was easier than it looks. Excel does great things.

But what about the 3/4 nighters?

They're in there. Pages 4 and 5. I haven't gotten an answer yet about whether or not those prices include the 15% gratuity so I have a page assuming it does and a page assuming it doesn't.

• 4 months later...

Woof22,thank you for your hard work. I don't drink but my son and husband will greatly appreciate your expertise in laying everything out for us in excel. It is an awesome program once you know how to use it.

Your spreadsheet will help take away one less decision once on board...they will already know what they want.

thanks again.

FYI...

We were on the Radiance of the Seas a few weeks ago and the Carmenere, Arboleda, Colchagua Valley, Chile was no longer available; even though it was listed in the packages.

It is one of our favorite wines, so we did some checking and were told by many of the bar tenders that it was being discontinued fleet wide...not sure if the information is accurate, but that is what we were told...:(

Also thanks for the spreadsheet...it was packed along with our travel information!

BILL

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I've never done the wine packages before. Now, this is to have a bottle a day delivered at dinner. I couldn't have a bottle a day delivered to my cabin...right? I would really enjoy it with my husband while we are getting ready for dinner etc...order up a cheese plate...mmm, mmm...nothing better!

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I've never done the wine packages before. Now, this is to have a bottle a day delivered at dinner. I couldn't have a bottle a day delivered to my cabin...right? I would really enjoy it with my husband while we are getting ready for dinner etc...order up a cheese plate...mmm, mmm...nothing better!

No questions are stupid. We had the wine package on Mariner and had one of the bottles delivered to the stateroom. Also, for example, if you don't finish a bottle at dinner, they will store that bottle and you can have it at your next dinner, or in the stateroom if you like.

• 7 months later...
Is the wine package on all RCCL and Celebrity ships? It sounds like a great idea but I'm unclear as to cruise line and ships where it is offered. thanks

I think that all RCI ships with 5+ night itineraries offer the package. I haven't sailed Celebrity, so I don't know if they offer one. I imagine that if they do, they would offer different wines, though.

• 3 months later...

Is the wine package delivered to u 1 bottle a day or can u get the whole package in 1 day? So, for example if i ordered a 7 bottle package and wanted all 7 bottles sent to my stateroom 1st day of cruising, so i can keep em in the fridge and enjoy whenever i want to, possible :eek:

According to the website, they have added the Riesling to the Gold Package (finally):

Typical Wine Selections for Gold Wine Packages Wine Package Selections

Sparkling Wines

Korbel Brut

California, USA, NV

White Wines

Chardonnay, Stone Cellars by Beringer

California, USA

Semillon/Chardonnay Lindemans, Bin 77

South East Australia

Riesling, Chateau St. Michelle

Columbia Valley, Washington, USA

Pinot Grigio, Danzante

Venezie, Veneto, Italy

Sauvignon Blanc, Caliterra

Central Valley, Chile

White Zinfandel, Woodbridge, Robert Mondavi

California, USA

Red Wines

Beaujolais Villages, Laboure-Roi

Beaujolais, France

Cabernet Sauvignon, Stone Cellars by Beringer

California, USA

Cabernet Sauvignon, Woodbridge Twin Oaks Robert Mondavi

California, USA

Merlot, Caliterra

Colchagua Valley, Chile

Shiraz, Footprint

Western Cape, South Africa

Another saver I have found with the wine package is twice I have ordered the Gold package and had a wine not available, so they exchanged it for the same varietal available from a higher package, which added slightly to my savings:D Not necessarily reliable but it has convinced me not to order higher than the gold package, since I can find wines I like on that list.

Cheers,

We used to get a bottle from the Windjammer late afternoon before it closed - along with glasses, ice bucket etc & either drink it on deck or take it back to the room to enjoy on the balcony during sailaway/whilst getting ready for dinner. Room service snacks featured here too!

Archived