Carnival miracle bait and switch

firemankerry

Carnival miracle sailed on december 15. The original ports of call were panama, costa rica and belize. There was an itinerary change sent to some passengers late friday dec 12. Most passengers arriving at the dock were handed copies of the itinerary change while boarding. Cancellation was possible, but we had non-refundable airfare and hotels stays worth about $1,000.00. The official reason for the changes was that the ship would not travel at cruising speed even though on the return we were making 21 knots. The only compensation offered by carnival was a $50.00 room credit that most persons i spoke to thought was insulting. In addition, we were not refunded a fuel surcharge even though the distance sailed was cut in half. The ship is pristine and the crew was wonderful except for the captain who should have spoken to us about the reasons and maybe offered an apology. Shame on corporate carnival

Carnival miracle sailed on december 15. The original ports of call were panama, costa rica and belize. There was an itinerary change sent to some passengers late friday dec 12. Most passengers arriving at the dock were handed copies of the itinerary change while boarding. Cancellation was possible, but we had non-refundable airfare and hotels stays worth about $1,000.00. The official reason for the changes was that the ship would not travel at cruising speed even though on the return we were making 21 knots. The only compensation offered by carnival was a $50.00 room credit that most persons i spoke to thought was insulting. In addition, we were not refunded a fuel surcharge even though the distance sailed was cut in half. The ship is pristine and the crew was wonderful except for the captain who should have spoken to us about the reasons and maybe offered an apology. Shame on corporate carnival

What were the new ports? Less or More? More sea days or less?

And this is your first post on the boards....:( Knowing what can happen, sometimes does..:)

Carnival is allowed to change ports, due to any reason, and one should not expect compensation..:eek: Thats the way it works..;)

Personally, as long as I am on a cruise ship, I'm happy..!!:D IMHO.... Beats this DA*M snow...

I am on the Feb 15th sailing that also had the itinerary changed for this problem. I feel lucky we were notified last week of the change. This gave us time to get over the initial disappointment then get excited about the new ports and actually get our shore excursions all lined up.

If I had walked on the Miracle and only then found out about the change I think I would be upset as well.

i agree, but why would they not get the fuel surcharge on a obc?? i thought they lifted it??
Just returned from the Freedom sailing, Dec. 14-20, and received NO fuel rebate...:)

Thinking that the notion that it is happening is only on the boards, but not really being fact..!:( I'll let you know if I ever get it...

Fuel surcharge refunds were as of 12/17 only.

Of course, people who are here frequently are more than well aware of that, since the subject was totally beaten to death at the time the announcement was made.

Port changes are unfortunate. But please read your cruise contract. Shame on Carnival?

No, shame on you for not knowing what your contract covers.

I'm always rather amused by people who can find their way here to compain but can't find their way here to do any research or get info before they cruise! Funny how that works, isn't it?

:rolleyes:

I am on the Feb 15th sailing that also had the itinerary changed for this problem. I feel lucky we were notified last week of the change. This gave us time to get over the initial disappointment then get excited about the new ports and actually get our shore excursions all lined up.

If I had walked on the Miracle and only then found out about the change I think I would be upset as well.

What is the problem:confused:

Man... OP I would not have been happy either:(

This change was discussed on at least two other threads in the last couple of weeks. Carnival notified those by email that booked through them. Did you book through a TA? If so, they should have been notified. Why does the captain owe anyone an apology for doing his job? It's plainly spelled out that itinerary can be changed at any time for any reason. If we want a particular port, we'll just go to that port. Otherwise, we cruise to cruise. We missed a port on our last cruise due to strikes in Roatan. The Captain did not apologize, nor did we expect it.

What I do find interesting is how people suddenly find CC to post on when they come back and have a complaint.

What is the problem:confused:

Man... OP I would not have been happy either:(

Propulsion issue. One of the engines can only run at half speed or something like that. It's going into drydock for two weeks right after our sailing to fix the issue.

So it can't go fast enough to go as far south as Panama and get back in time, or so they say...

Propulsion issue. One of the engines can only run at half speed or something like that. It's going into drydock for two weeks right after our sailing to fix the issue.

So it can't go fast enough to go as far south as Panama and get back in time, or so they say...

Ouch........did they give you the option to cancel also:confused:

Just returned from the Freedom sailing, Dec. 14-20, and received NO fuel rebate...:)

Thinking that the notion that it is happening is only on the boards, but not really being fact..!:( I'll let you know if I ever get it...

Unfortunately you are not entitled to a fuel credit. It was for crusies that began after Dec 17th.

thanks for the reply. this is my first cruise and cant waite....
The issue was that someone sailing prior to the refund, would receive a 'partial', altho' that hasn't happened..!:)

From most "know it all's" on the boards, anyone sailing during the date of the rebate would receive a 'partial' OBC... Didn't happen!:(

Thus, remember, everything you 'hear' on these boards may, or may not, be true...

Those sailing AFTER December 17 should receive their full refund..:p PLEASE, no 'flogging' if it doesn't happen!:rolleyes:

While I understand your frustration, this is not a bait and switch, and it is irresponsible to call it that.

There is no question that the Miracle has propulsion system problems since Carnival has scheduled an emergency two week dry dock, which is going to cost them a fortune. Yes they had to make a high speed run back because of a medical issue, but there is something about to fail in an propulsion unit and running at high speed is going to cause it to happen more quickly.

stirboo - Disregarding what some posters speculated/wished wrt the fuel surcharge, nowhere in the Carnival announcement was a "partial refund" indicated by Carnival. The Carnival announcement indicated Cruisers departing after 17 December 17, 2008 would receive credit for the fuel surcharge they paid, and cruisers departing prior to that date would not. IMO there was no unclarity as to who receives and who doesn't receive a refund. It's not a matter of being a "know it all" it's a matter of correctly reading the Carnival announcement. ken

"know it all's"[/i] on the boards' date=' anyone sailing during the date of the rebate [i']would[/i] receive a 'partial' OBC... Didn't happen!:(

Carnival never said they would give partial OBCs. What you read were people on this board HOPING they would receive a partial, THINKING they are entitled. No, they are not entitled. When they purchased their cruise, they bought it knowing that they would be paying extra per day for fuel.

Carnival never said they would give partial OBCs. What you read were people on this board HOPING they would receive a partial, THINKING they are entitled. No, they are not entitled. When they purchased their cruise, they bought it knowing that they would be paying extra per day for fuel.
I agree!! :DI just said that...!:)

Please re-read my post if you didn't understand .. Holy Smokes!:o Here we go again..:rolleyes:

Note my quote... "everything you hear"... I KNOW what CCL said!!

I agree!! :DI just said that...!:)

Please re-read my post if you didn't understand .. Holy Smokes!:o Here we go again..:rolleyes:

Don't get your undies in a bundle, friend. I was replying to the OP. ;) You just got in there before me!

I was trying to just emphasize what you were saying - sorry if it didn't come across that way!

Archived