South Pacific/ Frank are you listening?

zoncom

Regatta- Winter 2011-12 South Pacific here we come-PROBABLY!!!

FDR

I can not believe my eyes! Honestly?!

Hope the ports include Rarotonga, I would go back in a heartbeat.

Wish we didn't have to wait so long. I've been to Tahiti twice before and would love to go back on O, as soon as it's possible, if not sooner. So now, knowing that this is a possibility, kinda rules out our going on any other cruise line in the more immediate future.

This is exciting. Oceania would do well with West Coast cruises. I will definitely be booking a cruise in the South Pacific with O, and I would love O to start cruising Alaska as well, maybe directly from San Francisco. West Coast cruises to South Pacific, Hawaii, and Alaska, could fill a year of cruising for Regatta, which would be no problem once Marina is sailing.:D

I agree, would like to see more Pacific cruises. Hopefully when Marina is operational one ship can be deployed in the Pacific.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

mat55b.jpg

From the late 1920's until the late 1970's The Matson Line seemingly had it all. Gleaming white ships, "as modern as tomorrow", built with the help of the U.S. government and heavily subsidized to carry the US mails to Hawaii, Australia and the Greater Pacific Rim.

lurlinelounge-1.jpg

The ambience on these ships was legendary, decorated in the best, most modern American style, and people still talk about how good the service was..........yet they could not make it pay.

The distances involved in sailing the Pacific are staggering. There is very little of historical interest, and for much of the year the seas are quite rough (Pacific being a wry sobriquet)

Yes. the beaches are beautiful, the weather divine, and the water is clear.....but the Caribbean has that too, and at one fifth the price.

Could we do "exotic" French Polynesia? Have done the Princess Tahitian Princess (another R ship) with Bora Bora, etc. but would love some of the other islands. Snorkling is awesome in these areas. All of the islands are so beautiful and interesting -- just pick some that are not so "regular" on the cruise schedules. The airport in Tahiti is pretty unique -- did not even open up until about 40 minutes before plane left -- absolutely closed--gates drawn closed. I would love to cruise again in this wonderful area if we did not repeat every island.

• 1 month later...

Wonderful to hear that Oceania will be sailing in the South Pacific.

We live in Australia ( Sydney ) and have sailed with Oceania and have loved our time on board. We are sailing again in February around South America.

Our big disappointment is that although we are registered as previous passengers and have requested multiple times through the Oceania website to have emails with updates from Oceania and brochures sent to us, we NEVER get anything.

We get our news via our Canadian friends that sailed on the same trip as us and they forward Oceania's emails to us. Otherwise, unless we look on the Oceania website we would not know what upcoming specials or cruises are available. Can you help solve the problem and enable Australians to receive communications as others appear to do?

Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks in advance

Graciela & Trevor

Poor Ausies, not subjected to the incessant barrage of Oceania mail!!! Wish I could send you some of ours but guess one of the reasons for the problem is that they do not have anyone at headquarters that knows the Austraelian dialect.:):):)

Our big disappointment is that although we are registered as previous passengers and have requested multiple times through the Oceania website to have emails with updates from Oceania and brochures sent to us, we NEVER get anything.
It is just a guess, one plausible reason that you are not receiving e-mails, etc., is because those e-mails are often related to special deals only available to North American customers. Why inform those of things not applicable to them (it may cause "misunderstandings" and "disappointments").

• 2 months later...
French Polynesia is gorgeous, thrilling and altogether a superb destination.

We'd be ecstatic to sail there on Oceania.

That being said, we hope that Regatta is NOT home ported in Tahiti (at any rate, not for more than half a dozen cruises).

A far better choice for South Pacific sailings is Noumea, New Caledonia, which offers:

• a better, far more modern international airport
  • a better harbor
  • better access to Australia & New Zealand
  • Very high quality hotels . which run fully 1/3rd the price of those in Tahiti
  • WWII interest
  • Great scenic beauty
  • A far superior base from which the ship can still reach Fiji, Tonga Samoa and Tahiti based on a 14 day itinerary.

Sorry Stan and Jim, I have to disagree with you regarding Noumea. We have been there numerous times and the weather is never as good as in Tahiti plus the scenary cannot be compared to those beautiful islands with their wonderful aqua marine seas and startling mountains. Plus the people on Tahiti are a delight.

It may be easier for us in Australia to get to Noumea but as far as cruising from there, where are you going to go other than Vanuatu and Fiji.

No, the Tahiti and the Society Islands are my idea of Paradise and nothing in the world can beat them.

Jennie

Archived