South Pacific/ Frank are you listening?

zoncom

Greetings, Following the Itins. contest and discussion. It really seem most of us have been there, done that on most existing routes. We are abit older with the time to do the 3-4 week cruises. Your small ships combined with their elegant casual concept are perfect for the smaller islands of the Pacific. It seems the posters agree.

Not all agree with you. As much as I would like to see the South Pacific, the sun is a big problem with me because of skin cancers as it is with a lot of the older people who did not have sun screen to use when we were younger. I much prefer northern climates. Yes, I have been to Australia and New Zealand several times along with Asis.

Not all agree with you. As much as I would like to see the South Pacific, the sun is a big problem with me because of skin cancers as it is with a lot of the older people who did not have sun screen to use when we were younger. I much prefer northern climates. Yes, I have been to Australia and New Zealand several times along with Asis.

I would suggest you travel to Ireland/UK - sun won't be a problem there.

Elsewhere, including the Med & many other Northern climates, you are as likely to see the sun as you are in the South Pacific on any given day. South Pacific can be rainy in their summer (our winter), when most people would want to go there to get away from the winter.Temperatures and humidity, OTOH, are a different story.

Besides, a South Pacific cruise would not eliminate any other cruises that O already has and will have - your choice.

Regatta- Winter 2011-12 South Pacific here we come-PROBABLY!!!

FDR

I knew it!!

With Damien Lacroix ( general manager ) being so familiar with Bora Bora, it's a natural that he runs those sailings.:)

I have to be very careful in the sun, will break out in a rash very quickly in tropical sun. But I have spent 42 days on the Paul Gauguin in FP. With suitable sunscreen, hats, coverups and snorkeling t-shirts it's not a problem.

I am still an Oceania virgin, but would definitely look at the South Pacific route, since I suffer from the Polynesian Flu, a serious ailment.

Regatta- Winter 2011-12 South Pacific here we come-PROBABLY!!!

FDR

Frank,

GREAT news, wonderful to hear! I hope that you'll put the new ships on a few new itineraries as well, just to mix things up.

If Marina and her sister do some "new" cruises, I know I would never step foot on Holland America again and thousands of others would probably do the same.

HOORAH! :D

Sorry Oceania we couldn't wait so instead of an O cruise LA to LA had to take another luxury line via the Marquesas, Polynesia and Hawaii in Feb 2010.

Although we have cruised the South Seas a couple of times before on Marco Polo from NZ and on Crown Odyssey from NZ to LA it is probably our favourite area to cruise because of the beauty of the region and the several sea days that the distances between the continents involve.

Like 99% of the people on this board we love O having 4 cruises with her under our belts but as the years go by and air travel becomes more of a challenge our "best vacation experiences" ie. cruises, will have to arrive and depart from our hometown harbour, LA.:):):):)

Like 99% of the people on this board we love O having 4 cruises with her under our belts but as the years go by and air travel becomes more of a challenge our "best vacation experiences" ie. cruises, will have to arrive and depart from our hometown harbour, LA.:):):):)

Hard for us to do the same from Cincinnati, Ohio!:D

Yes, definitely a great idea to do the South Pacific. We have visited the region on 2 occasions, once by ship and once as a land based vacation, but would definitely consider doing a return trip and think that Oceania would be a great way to experience some of the islands.

We've immensely enjoyed our 2 cruises on O so far, and look forward to the next time.

The ship size is perfect for French Polynesia

French Polynesia is gorgeous, thrilling and altogether a superb destination.

We'd be ecstatic to sail there on Oceania.

That being said, we hope that Regatta is NOT home ported in Tahiti (at any rate, not for more than half a dozen cruises).

A far better choice for South Pacific sailings is Noumea, New Caledonia, which offers:

• a better, far more modern international airport
  • a better harbor
  • better access to Australia & New Zealand
  • Very high quality hotels . which run fully 1/3rd the price of those in Tahiti
  • WWII interest
  • Great scenic beauty
  • A far superior base from which the ship can still reach Fiji, Tonga Samoa and Tahiti based on a 14 day itinerary.

Whoops... hit "post" too quickly there. As an active duty military member, mid 30's, I've seen my share of the world, but never been down to the South Pacific, and that's been my dream vacation for a while now. I took advantage of the current big Europe deal, and we're on the Dec 2010 transatlantic crossing, Barcelona to Rio, should be loads of fun. We are stationed in Alaska, and I try to find a way to do something warm for the wife every winter. There would be NOTHING better than an Oceania South Pacific cruise, winter 2011/2012, and if that were to actually develop, I might just have to splurge on that and find a way to make it happen! Keeping my eyes peeled, and make sure you keep us posted!!!

Greetings, Its exciting to just dream about the South Pacific. I am sure FDR will do a combo of innovative itins, not just the 10N Papeete the others do. I like a Hon.-Papeete with a return to Hon. featuring a different itin. so one could cruise longer itin. Maybe a couple 30 plus days roundtrip out of San Francisco, San Diego or Vancouver. Cruise from Miami (after Regattas Europe TA) over to S. Pacific also.

Archived