Colliseum and Vatican City: early or the new evening tours? Avoiding crowds and lines

mikeerdas

Is it better to visit the Colliseum early before most tour buses and crowds arrive, or later after most of the crowds have left. I read somewhere that evening tours of the Colliseum are offered. I will be in Rome two nights and three days pre-cruise, so evenings are an option. I hate crowds and lines and will do just about anything to avoid them to the extent that's possible.

As there is in Paris, I've read there's a Rome museum pass one can purchase to avoid lines.

Also wondering about the Vatican--most seem to favor early visits, but I also wonder about late afternoon or evening visit possibilities after the cruise ship buses have departed. Read somewhere, can't recall where, that this might be an option. Is late afternoon or evening a possibility with the Vatican?

I'll be in Rome on a Friday, Saturday, and embarkation is, I think, 5pm on a Sunday. I arrive at FCO after a long red-eye flight around 7am on Friday morning. My intent is to check my luggage into our hotel (10 min. walk from Termini), then I'm not sure where after for that day. I don't consider it a "full day" because it will take time to get out of the airport, to Termini, then to our hotel. Would it be too late to bother with the Colliseum or Vatican City by then? Would the Colliseum best be left for Sunday morning--embarkation day--and the Vatican for Saturday morning (when I can get up as early as I like from my hotel room).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

Much depends on what kind of traveler you are -- do you think you'll be wiped out on the day you arrive? I usually manage to get at least some sleep on the plane, and when I arrive (especially in Rome) I am excited and ready to walk around.

If that describes you, I'd suggest seeing the Colosseum and Forum on Friday afternoon. You can get your ticket at the Palatine Hill ticket office (do a search on the Med Board for Palatine Hill and you'll find detailed directions and instructions) to avoid the line at the Colosseum. Your ticket will be good for Palatine Hill (imperial palaces, Augustus' house, etc), the Roman Forum, and the Colosseum. Given your limited time in Rome, I'm not sure the Roma Pass would be worthwhile.

I'm sure you know the Vatican Museum is closed on Sundays (except for the last Sunday of the month when it is mobbed). Saturdays, unfortunately, are also crowded. I'd suggest pre-purchasing tickets for the earliest available time on Saturday morning, and be there even earlier to see if you can pick up the tickets and get inside. The museum is crowded all day -- even when the line lessens outside in the early afternoon, the galleries are always crowded. So if you can get in early, you will at least have a little time before the rooms fill up with tours and individuals. Use the time wisely!

• 4 weeks later...

On a Friday, I visited the Colosseum around 1pm. Although I had purchased a Roma Pass that entitled me to cut the ticket lines (you just bypass all the people trying to get you to purchase a guided tour and walk past the line of people waiting to buy tickets), I didn't find the ticket line to be terribly long or the place to be very crowded inside.

The hotel manager told us things weren't nearly as crowded now as they were a year ago.

CruiseMom's advice on visiting the Vatican Museum early is sound. We purchased the earliest tickets possible for a Saturday (9am) and arrived around 8:20am. To our surprise, we were let in at that time. And since we had reserved tickets, we did bypass the long lines outside.

Our strategy was to cruise past all the guided tours and head straight to the Sistine Chapel where we spent about an hour taking it all it. We tool the left exit to loop back around to the front of the museum (don't worry, it doesn't deposit you *outside* the confines of the museum) and then visited the museum proper. The galleries were getting quite crowded at that point.

One thing to never forget about the Vatican Museum is that it is one-way traffic only. And you'll be corrected by a guard if you try to back-track, as I did going through the Egyptian collection. If I recall correctly, the exit of the Egyptian collection puts your further back toward the museum entrance than where you entered; and the place was mobbed by then, so I tried to back-track. No dice. They do enforce it. Makes sense due to the throngs of visitors.

When we finally got to the Sistine Chapel a second time, we took the exit to the right--a short-cut to St. Peter's Basilica. Paid the money to climb up into the cupola (right to the very tippy-top of the dome). This is not a journey for those afraid of heights or for those who are claustrophobic. The steps are one way up and one way down, and things get verrrrrry narrow as you get closer to the top; you actually have to contort your body a bit near the top; I had to use my hands to touch the walls to orient myself, as the stairwells become curved. It was fabulous and I regret nothing.

You can pay a few euros extra to take the elevator, bypassing the first ~551 steps. But even after you get out of the elevator, there are ~331 steps to the top. Well worth the effort to get out there behind the colossal figures you see atop the Basillica from St. Peter's Square. And then right up into the tippy-top of the cupola. Wonderful.

The same one-way traffic advice applies to St. Peter's Basillica. See all you want to see before exiting to the Square. We thought we'd go sit out by the obelisk for a while after touring St. Peter's Basillica and the cupola. No dice. There was a huge line to get back into St. Peter's Basillica. Had wanted to revisit the inside after setting up some Rick Steve's podcasts for the interior.

St. Peter's is a plenum--crammed with art, and seems to be 5-6 churches in one. It's utterly enormous. We'll certainly have to come back to Rome to take more of it in, as well as the art in the museums.

Another option of the Colliseum, that bypasses the main line, is to take a guided English tour. Leaves at 3/4 hour. At the security check point, just tell the agent you are taking the tour. The ticket line is just past the main ticket line, on the other side of the rope. The guided tour is 4 euros, on top of the 12 euro admission. cash only. The tour, was excellent and highly informative, enhancing my visit.

Rick Steves also has free downloads of an excellent walking tour.

Mike......We will be in Rome in Mid November pre-cruise for 3 days. Looking into buying the Roma Pass. How did it work for you? I understand it will get you into two locations, discounts on all others, and free Metro. Is that correct? Can it be purchased at a lot of locations? Price?

Thanks,

Mike......We will be in Rome in Mid November pre-cruise for 3 days. Looking into buying the Roma Pass. How did it work for you? I understand it will get you into two locations, discounts on all others, and free Metro. Is that correct? Can it be purchased at a lot of locations? Price?

Thanks,

Here is a link that provides all the info on the Roma Pass:

http://www.romapass.it/?l=en

With the cost of the pass now at 23 euro, you have to do some planning to get good value from it. If you plan to visit at least 3 museums (participating ones are listed on the website above), 2 of which will be free and one discounted, AND plan to use the bus/metro for transportation, you will get your money's worth.

One additional advantage of having the pass is avoiding ticket lines. However, if you are planning to be in Rome in mid-November, you will find lines to be short or even nonexistent at most places. (It's my favorite time to visit Rome).

thanks.......I guess using the Roma Pass on the top two most expensive sites would make sense? Colliseum for sure. Does the pass work at any sites in Vatican area?

No, the Vatican is a sovereign state and is not part of Rome -- so the Roma Pass is not valid at the Vatican museum.

Definitely use the Pass on the most expensive sites. The Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill is, I think, the most expensive site. (Your ticket includes all 3 and only counts as one entry on your Roma Pass.)

thanks cruisemom. We will be staying at the River Palace hotel which is close to the Borghese Gallery. Sounds like the pass can be used there. Six weeks and counting!

Yes, you can use it at the Borghese.

Enjoy your trip! As I said, November is a good time to visit Rome; you will appreciate the scarcity of tourists at that time of year. Hopefully the weather will be good for you, not rainy as it was last year in November.

thanks cruisemom. We will be staying at the River Palace hotel which is close to the Borghese Gallery. Sounds like the pass can be used there. Six weeks and counting!

Currently there is a "special show" at Borghese, so the ticket is 13.5 Euros, making it one of your MORE EXPENSIVE tickets. Unfortunately, I don't know when this show ends, but I'm sure you can find out at their web site. :)

Karen

On a Friday, I visited the Colosseum around 1pm. Although I had purchased a Roma Pass that entitled me to cut the ticket lines (you just bypass all the people trying to get you to purchase a guided tour and walk past the line of people waiting to buy tickets), I didn't find the ticket line to be terribly long or the place to be very crowded inside.

The hotel manager told us things weren't nearly as crowded now as they were a year ago.

CruiseMom's advice on visiting the Vatican Museum early is sound. We purchased the earliest tickets possible for a Saturday (9am) and arrived around 8:20am. To our surprise, we were let in at that time. And since we had reserved tickets, we did bypass the long lines outside.

Our strategy was to cruise past all the guided tours and head straight to the Sistine Chapel where we spent about an hour taking it all it. We tool the left exit to loop back around to the front of the museum (don't worry, it doesn't deposit you *outside* the confines of the museum) and then visited the museum proper. The galleries were getting quite crowded at that point.

One thing to never forget about the Vatican Museum is that it is one-way traffic only. And you'll be corrected by a guard if you try to back-track, as I did going through the Egyptian collection. If I recall correctly, the exit of the Egyptian collection puts your further back toward the museum entrance than where you entered; and the place was mobbed by then, so I tried to back-track. No dice. They do enforce it. Makes sense due to the throngs of visitors.

When we finally got to the Sistine Chapel a second time, we took the exit to the right--a short-cut to St. Peter's Basilica. Paid the money to climb up into the cupola (right to the very tippy-top of the dome). This is not a journey for those afraid of heights or for those who are claustrophobic. The steps are one way up and one way down, and things get verrrrrry narrow as you get closer to the top; you actually have to contort your body a bit near the top; I had to use my hands to touch the walls to orient myself, as the stairwells become curved. It was fabulous and I regret nothing.

You can pay a few euros extra to take the elevator, bypassing the first ~551 steps. But even after you get out of the elevator, there are ~331 steps to the top. Well worth the effort to get out there behind the colossal figures you see atop the Basillica from St. Peter's Square. And then right up into the tippy-top of the cupola. Wonderful.

The same one-way traffic advice applies to St. Peter's Basillica. See all you want to see before exiting to the Square. We thought we'd go sit out by the obelisk for a while after touring St. Peter's Basillica and the cupola. No dice. There was a huge line to get back into St. Peter's Basillica. Had wanted to revisit the inside after setting up some Rick Steve's podcasts for the interior.

St. Peter's is a plenum--crammed with art, and seems to be 5-6 churches in one. It's utterly enormous. We'll certainly have to come back to Rome to take more of it in, as well as the art in the museums.

Thanks for the helpful information because that's one thing we are dreading is the neverending lines.

Dear Mikeerdas -

if you have chance to make a choise...I suggest youthe afternoon -

In the Afternoon Rome is less crowded that in the morning.

So you will enjoy the colliseum better than in the morning .

Anyhow...if you have three days pre cruise you may organize everything with a limousine company that will assist you in everything concerning the sites you should see.

http://www.italydrivinguide.com limousine company took care of us from the beginning up to the end of our visit in Rome. They bought tichets for entrance in the Colliseum and Roman Forum; they also provide us with tickets for Vatican Museums.

Rome is wonderful and it's important that someone can assist you in some particular things such as: entrance tickets for museums,theatres and so on.

Have a good vacation in Rome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it better to visit the Colliseum early before most tour buses and crowds arrive, or later after most of the crowds have left. I read somewhere that evening tours of the Colliseum are offered. I will be in Rome two nights and three days pre-cruise, so evenings are an option. I hate crowds and lines and will do just about anything to avoid them to the extent that's possible.

As there is in Paris, I've read there's a Rome museum pass one can purchase to avoid lines.

Also wondering about the Vatican--most seem to favor early visits, but I also wonder about late afternoon or evening visit possibilities after the cruise ship buses have departed. Read somewhere, can't recall where, that this might be an option. Is late afternoon or evening a possibility with the Vatican?

I'll be in Rome on a Friday, Saturday, and embarkation is, I think, 5pm on a Sunday. I arrive at FCO after a long red-eye flight around 7am on Friday morning. My intent is to check my luggage into our hotel (10 min. walk from Termini), then I'm not sure where after for that day. I don't consider it a "full day" because it will take time to get out of the airport, to Termini, then to our hotel. Would it be too late to bother with the Colliseum or Vatican City by then? Would the Colliseum best be left for Sunday morning--embarkation day--and the Vatican for Saturday morning (when I can get up as early as I like from my hotel room).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

GOOSEBGONE,

The River Palace is just outside the northen gates to the city (Piazza di Popolo), so the transportation part of the Roma Pass will probably be pretty handy from that location. You are closer to the Metro Station Flaminio than the Borghese Villa area. To get anywhere, you'll probably be best served by hopping on the metro at Flaminio --- or walking through Popolo and catching the 117 bus.

As suggested, the two highest price tickets now are the Galleria Borghese (due to the current exhibition) at €13.50 and the Colosseo combo at €12. The Cpaitolini and the National Museums of Rome come in after those as the highest priced (at least RIGHT now!) For more info on the Roma Pass, CLICK HERE!

For help on the riding the metro and bus systems in Rome, these links may help: Riding the Metro, Riding the Buses, What are the types of Public Trasnport tickets Available, and Using a Kiosk to Buy a bus or metro ticket.

Hope these help you!

Ciao,

Ron

Rick Steves suggests the Vatican after 12:30. We had 1 pm reservations on a Tuesday and there were no lines. We were there Oct. 13th. Rick Steves advice was right on for our 3 week trip. Would highly recommend his books and restaurant suggestions. Had amazing meals.

Archived