Booking 3 adults, but we do not want a standard cabin

Lazz

My wife, her mother, and I are consdering an Alaska cruisetour. Putting the three of us in a standard, balcony cabin would be a disaster (at least for me who would be sleeping on deck with my luggage). Given that my MIL would not take pot-luck with a room mate, what are the options that would give us the best value?

Mini suite ...There is a sofa bed in the mini suite category. Another idea is for you to book a balcony for you and DW and put MIL in an inside across the hall. I personally know DH would not want to stay in the same cabin with MIL no matter what the category....lol

My wife, her mother, and I are consdering an Alaska cruisetour. Putting the three of us in a standard, balcony cabin would be a disaster (at least for me who would be sleeping on deck with my luggage). Given that my MIL would not take pot-luck with a room mate, what are the options that would give us the best value?

Sounds like you want a balcony on one of the upper decks and an inside for MIL in the basement.

Seriously, a mini suite will give you about 50% more room than a standard cabin. Will this be enough space? If not then you would need to get two cabins, but the single for MIL will be expensive.

So have you asked a travel agent yet what your options are?

Your mother n law can't find a room-mate to go with you guys? A single supplement is usually too pricey. So I think your options with all 3 in 1 room are mini-suite or suite.

Good luck,:) I would not even think of 3 in a room unless it was my "kid"(now grown).

Mini suite or suite, but remember that the minisuite doesn't allow for real privacy because there's no curtain like you'd find in a suite.

Then you've got the issue of the cruisetour. The rooms in the lodges are typical hotel rooms, and similar to what you'd find in a Motel 6. Then there's the issue of booking since you book the cruise tour then pay the cabin supplement for anything more than an inside. So with all that to consider, perhaps a separate booking and cabin is the best way to go, but you'd be paying double for MIL.

Booking a cruisetour is a little more tricky. If you book a mini-suite which would have a lot more room than a balcony cabin, you still have to think of the tour portion. You would only be assigned one standard hotel room with 2 double beds. If everyone is comfortable with this, than that is ok. If not you need to book 2 cabins on the ship in order to get 2 lodge rooms. Just somemore info to confuse you more:confused:

Pot Luck with a room mate doesn't occur any more on Princess, they stopped booking singles and matching them up to share a stateroom some time ago.

So, it looks like it's a mini or better for you. Just keep in mind, in a full suite there will be a bit more privacy as there will be a curtain to pull across to seperate the sleeping area from the sofa sleeper, in a mini suite, there won't be. Might cause a bit of a problem, might not, depends on your mother in law. :)

Inside cabin all the way - I'd pay half of it for her. One of the highlights of vacationing with my wife is that private, romantic, clothing off time . . . I think having the MIL in the room would kind of interfere with that. Hope we never get to the point that we'd be ok with that.

My sister always travels with my husband and I. We always get a suite, and she gets an inside cabin right outside our door - or as close to us as possible on the same floor.

We go to the customer service deck as soon as we board and get her a key to our suite- so she can come and go as she pleases to use the balcony.

This way she has her own space and bathroom, and we have ours. Works out great - and we split the cost of the 2 cabins 3 ways. :)

Really, you need to go online, or call Princess, and price out the options...

You need to talk with your wife....

I can say this:

If there is no way to afford a cabin for MIL, then all three of us simply wouldn't go...

No way... No how...

Just the thought of a parent/inlaw in the same cabin with a couple, even a mini... :eek:

And, why pay that much for a full suite, and still have no space or privacy, when a balcony and an inside would not cost any more?

Knowing my husband and I, Mama might be booked in the cabin, but she would be lucky to be able to come in, as we would be in there, just the two of us alone, with the door barred... :p

I'll be darned if I would be the one 'sleeping on deck with my luggage' without my spouse, so MIL could have a nice cheap/free cruise.

I think if you price this out, you will find that a balcony cabin plus an inside is not much more expensive (if at all) than a mini suite for 3. With the mini suite, you pay more for the 1st two passengers than you would for a balcony cabin, and then there is a supplement for the 3 rd person, I think it was $599 last I checked but that might vary from cruise to cruise. Even with the single supplement, you can book an inside cabin and a balcony for about the same. Well worth it, in my opinion-- cruise ship cabins are smaller than any hotel room I've seen, no way would I want to share one with my MIL for a week.

I had the same quandry except with both mothers! We ended up booking a mini suite for my mother, a balcony for the MIL (and my wife) and an inside for me. It worked well except when at dinner when everyone had to share the table. Oh well it was worth it for the family time!

We have just booked a mini suite for the three of us. Same situation...it was more expensive to book a balcony and an inside for mom than booking a mini suite. We lost Dad a few years ago and she is almost 80 so we don't mind her being in the same cabin with us. It's only for 7 days and we have our privacy all the time at home. She won't be able to curise many more years...I would hate to see her miss out on a once in a lifetime cruise to Alaska. So we welcome Mom to go with us.

Archived