Update on Harbour Dredging

scubagirrl

Good News!

I just spend 3 days on the beach at the British Colonial Hilton and was very pleased with the water conditions.

While dredging is still in progress, all precautions are being taken to keep the water and beaches clear. They have put up barriers (similar to those for oil spills) and are using the newest technologies to make the process environment friendly.

I would highly recommend the British Colonial Hilton for a quiet beach day.. or Junkanoo Beach for a free public beach offering.

Both are well protected.

Hey Scubagirrl! I'm so happy to see you post this. Thank you so much! Just today I was going to ask you about this. I'm there this coming Sunday and I'm leaning towards the Sheraton, but was maybe thinking of saving the cab fare on a short port and going to the BCH. Can you tell me a bit about Junkanoo beach? We are traveling with a 10 year old and a 5 year old.

Hey Scubagirrl! I'm so happy to see you post this. Thank you so much! Just today I was going to ask you about this. I'm there this coming Sunday and I'm leaning towards the Sheraton, but was maybe thinking of saving the cab fare on a short port and going to the BCH. Can you tell me a bit about Junkanoo beach? We are traveling with a 10 year old and a 5 year old.

Junkanoo beach is a public beach located on the main road just outside of town. There are no amenities.. The cleanliness is hit or miss. it's not cleaned often, so you could encounter broken glass or bottles and other debris..

If you can afford a day pass.. I would do that.

Junkanoo is used by the locals for late nite partying, and since your coming on a sunday.. chances are, the beach will be strewn with litter from the nite before.

So you can walk to BCH, and they let you use their amenities?

How much and do you have to book in advance? I mean we are going during winter break, do they put a limit on day passes?

BCH allows cruisers to purchase a day pass. Not sure what the cost is these days. Sometimes it's $20 pp without lunch, sometimes $40 with a lunch voucher. Depends on the season I suppose.

The do not book in advance, and you must go to the front desk to purchase them. Some people have been turned away in the past, but I suspect it was more because mgmt felt they would not conform to the quiet relaxing community (they were young and loud).. than that they were sold out.

If you are looking for a fun beach and pool day.. this is probably not it. BCH is a relaxing, read a book on the beach or sleep in the hammock kind of place. It's not great for active kids or adults.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well....just back from our visit to the BCH and we had a wonderful time. It was a short walk and was very easy to find. We got off the ship and followed the street down by the water towards Senor Frogs. We went to the front desk and asked for the day pass. We paid $40 each and were given food/beverage vouchers for $30 each along with a voucher for towels and use of beach toys. The loungers all had umbrellas with little tables and it was not crowded at all. Very relaxing.

Well....just back from our visit to the BCH and we had a wonderful time. It was a short walk and was very easy to find. We got off the ship and followed the street down by the water towards Senor Frogs. We went to the front desk and asked for the day pass. We paid $40 each and were given food/beverage vouchers for $30 each along with a voucher for towels and use of beach toys. The loungers all had umbrellas with little tables and it was not crowded at all. Very relaxing.

Could you be more specific about how long a walk it is ( I can only walk a few blocks). Also, did you actually go in the water? If so, was it clean- seaweed, rocky or sandy, etc.

Thanks

Archived