Tipping the concierge?

mtinney

If the concierge does something for you that you consider "above and beyond", then a tip is in order, based on how important that "thing" was to you. They aren't part of the "tipped" employees, tho, so if they don't really do anything for you, a tip isn't necessary.

$10-20 at the end of the cruise should be more than ample!

We are just off Enchantment today, my husband and I are fighting since yesterday about this!! I don't think the concierge is a big salary job like it once was and they also tip out the helper that is in there with them. I typically leave $10 a day for the 2 of us also - $50 at the end of the trip (5 or 7 days) . We had drinks every night and we got a bridge tour because we asked ...My husband says I should have left $20!!! I hope I get some answers from you all.

We are just off Enchantment today, my husband and I are fighting since yesterday about this!! I don't think the concierge is a big salary job like it once was and they also tip out the helper that is in there with them. I typically leave $10 a day for the 2 of us also - $50 at the end of the trip (5 or 7 days) . We had drinks every night and we got a bridge tour because we asked ...My husband says I should have left $20!!! I hope I get some answers from you all.

Are you saying you left $10/day and then another $50 at the end? I thought the proper time to tip here was at the end of the cruise? Do others tip on a daily basis?

If I remember correctly this was discussed before. The Cons. is not a salary employee. He depends on tips. We tip $50 for 7 nights and $70 for 9 nights. We also tip the helper. Just remember, you do not pay for your drinks or o'derves (sp) in the CL. He will also give you your ice show tickets, make your tour reservations, your specialty dinning reservations, spa and any other needs you may have.

Read once on these boards a post by a lady who said she tipped the Concierge 600 dollars at the end of a 7 nt cruise. We always tip the Concierge, the amount depends on what we have asked him (we have always had a him) to do for us. One cruise he had his favourite guests and more or less ignored the rest of us - the bar staff who served our drinks every night got his tip.

We definately tip the consierge when we are booked in a suite. We have always had very good, helpful, and friendly people who definately added to the enjoyment of our experience. The amount? A personal matter. And a no-win question. If you tip less - there will always be those quit to call "cheapo". If you tip more - there will always be those who want to say you are bragging about how rich you are. :D

One cruise he had his favourite guests and more or less ignored the rest of us - the bar staff who served our drinks every night got his tip.

Yes, typically we will tip the bar staff more than the concierge. We really don't use the concierge for anything but the waiters are usually quite good.

Your numbers are more in line with what we do. If you had Diego

I'm sure he went above and beyond for you, getting a bridge tour

is one example. I think your husband's figure is low.

The amount we tip is based on the quality of service we receive. If the concierge goes above and beyond to make our cruise special we will go above and beyond at the end of the cruise when it's time to leave a tip. If the concierge just goes through the motions and isn't very personable with us then we'll tip much less. We were told at guest relations the concierge should be tipped on par with a butler. So that's what we use as a guideline.

Yes, typically we will tip the bar staff more than the concierge. We really don't use the concierge for anything but the waiters are usually quite good.

This has been the case in the D lounges I have been in - I always tip the waiters directly, as they have been the ones that provided all the service.

This is our first time in a real suite - we're taking our son and DIL and her son, and will have a RFS on the Navigator.

I assumed we'd tip the concierge (I was planning on using the CL at least for drinks before dinner, and possibly asking for some help with res - and if he can arrange a bridge tour that would be AWESOME and my son and grandson would love it). Are the amounts you've been saying for everyone in the suite, or per person? Or is it pretty much up to you?

The amount is up to you and completely based on perfernce and service rendered. Some people tip each day, some at the end of the cruise. I've even occasionally seen special pre-paid gratuitiy forms that also had a blank for the concierge that could be filled in at the passenger's discretion.

I haven't seen any mention of tipping them but it seems like someone we should. Anyone have a rule of thumb for how much? or when? are they the ones that serve our drinks in the lounge?

I pay my tips on my seapass account so if there was a suggested amount it would be there and it's not. So no, I don't tip the concierge, nor do I tip the captain or the cruise director.

We also tip the Concierge and the Bartenders (if they are assisting). The Concierge's pay was cut quite a bit, and people who generously tip help to fill in what the cruise line took away. The Concierge is the one that makes sure the coffee machine is working, picks up after everyone, answers your questions and provides the services requested, and yes makes sure the bar is stocked for "Happy Hour", and the refreshments are there for everyones enjoyment. Should you tip...you bet :) If you don't ever go in their ...no, but 9 times out of 10 they help make your cruise so much nicer:)

Should you tip...you bet :)

I disagree and there is no right or wrong it's an individual decision. Can you post the link supporting your belief their salary was cut in half. I wonder how many people fall for these sob stories to extract extra cash from passengers. If RCL wanted them in the tip pool they'd put them there but they don't. If anyone wants to tip they most certainly can it's their privilege but it's personal choice with no correct answer.

I disagree and there is no right or wrong it's an individual decision. Can you post the link supporting your belief their salary was cut in half. I wonder how many people fall for these sob stories to extract extra cash from passengers. If RCL wanted them in the tip pool they'd put them there but they don't. If anyone wants to tip they most certainly can it's their privilege but it's personal choice with no correct answer.
Here ya go Concierge Tipping

Please read all 4 pages.

Archived