If you had the choice for embarkation which would you chose-Rome,Venice,Barcelona?

new kiwi girl

What is it that makes you nervous about booking thru them? Just wondering, I never have but have read about those who do.

If you check out the forums on tripadvisor, there are horror stories relating to customer service on vayama. Airfare is a similar type of company. Often the price differences on the more reputable travelocity or orbitz is pretty small or even non-existent. If the price difference between them was substantial, I suppose I might consider vayama or airfaire.

Lois, I certainly understand what you're going through and I am happy to hear that you are not booking air through the cruiseline. :cool: I have to admit that I get a bit nervous about airfare.com and vayama and less so about travelocity and orbitz.

Hi:)I forgot to ask you something! Did you post a review on

TripAdvisor about one of the places you stayed at in Barcelona?:D

I think I saw your name? What property was it?

If you check out the forums on tripadvisor, there are horror stories relating to customer service on vayama. Airfare is a similar type of company. Often the price differences on the more reputable travelocity or orbitz is pretty small or even non-existent. If the price difference between them was substantial, I suppose I might consider vayama or airfaire.

I have booked airfare from three of the four sites mentioned (all transatlantic flights) and not had any problems. Have not used Travelocity for anything other than hotels.

Hi:)I forgot to ask you something! Did you post a review on

TripAdvisor about one of the places you stayed at in Barcelona?:D

I think I saw your name? What property was it?

Lois, I have not stayed at Hotel Jazz. Here is the thread on here about it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1036865

As for airfare.com, it's not a member of the Better Business Bureau. I have read horror stories here and on tripadvisor with respect to vayama. I'm nervous about them.

Lois, I have not stayed at Hotel Jazz. Here is the thread on here about it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1036865

As for airfare.com, it's not a member of the Better Business Bureau. I have read horror stories here and on tripadvisor with respect to vayama. I'm nervous about them.

Thanks for the link:)

We are looking ahead to a Fall 2011 TA and had been considering the Navigator out of Rome, for our first trip to Europe. Had also looked at the Voyager TA out of Barcelona but preferred the TA Itnerary on the Navigator, now after reading all these posts, I think I am not sure which way to go. LOL. Barcelona appeared easier from all my reading. The Navigator TA for 2010 Schedule, is: Rome, Marseilles, Barcelona, Cartegna, Tenerife, Ft Lauderdale

Voyager TA 2010 Schedule: Barcelona, Cartegna, Funchal ( Medeira), Santa Cruz, Canary islands, Nassau, Galveston.

If it doesn't change we would be going in 2011. I also liked the fact the Navigator left earlier. Your opinions please. Thank you

The main difference seems to be that with the Navigator you are touching Italy, France and Spain, whereas with the Voyager you're only touching on Spain, and the Portugese island of Madeira- but you do have a tropical island at the other side! The problem with Rome is that it's 50miles or so from the port, but Bcn. is 1/2 hr from the airport to the docks.- jocap.

hi - here's my 2c worth. Rome is probably easier in terms of getting direct flights and/or good connections. BUT Rome IMHO is a chaotic airport. It you fly out of ROme the cruise lines seem to always dump all the pax there early mornign so there can be hundreds & hundreds of passengers squeezed into the terminal. Its also a long way to walk to the gates.

Plus its a good hour away from Civit. port.

Venice airport is reasonably close to the port & its a magical experience sailing past St Mark Square. The airport is easy too.

Or consider Barcelona. Easy airport, reasonable close...

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my two pennyworth!

Both airports are first rate; Venice is smaller but Barcelona is also an excellent airport. Barcelona hotels are better 'value' but both cities are magnificent in different ways. In terms of transport from the airport BCN has the edge and another advantage is it is less vulnerable to fog and consequent delays, in and out. I believe it is a Cat three airfield cleared for autoland but we have neighbours who ended up many miles away on diversion and finally made the hotel at 3am!!

On balance I would head for Barcelona as your embarkation port and enjoy the magic of a seaborne arrival in Venice.

New Salt

Archived