How to avoid weight gain?

Can'tstopcruising

I used to be able to loose the weight I gained during a cruise after returning home and getting back to my normal eating habits. With aging, this is no longer the case.

In our cruise last year - 14 days TA - I gained five pounds and it took me almost eight months to loose the weight I had gained.

In our cruise this year - 14 days Baltic - I changed my routine and surprisingly managed to loose one pound; my original goal was to simply minimize any weight gain. The difference is that this year I went to the gym twice a day, every day, doing 45 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning, i.e. before breakfast, and 45 minutes of weights in the afternoon before dinner.

I did not do any special diet. I actually ate more than I usually eat when at home. After all we were on vacation and I was determined to enjoy it.

I have a few rules that work well for me, that I follow at all times: (1) no bread and butter at the beginning of a meal, (2) no sugary drinks such as juices or pop, (3) no food three hours before going to bed, (4) stop eating when feeling full - I have no qualms leaving food on the plate if I get full, while my spouse considers that a sin.

Some of the other suggestions in this thread are also very good. Everybody is different. It is important to figure out what works for YOU. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Thom

I hope that's a joke; gaining weight is almost always the result of choices the individual makes, and on a cruise it is the same.

I've lost weight on every cruise I've been on in the last 2 years. Before that, I gained weight. The difference is that on my first few cruises, I'd indulge in excess - fries with lunch and dinner, one or two desserts at each meal, a greasy breakfast etc - and I also would not exercise regularly. I weighed about 300 lbs at the time

On my cruises in the last 2 years, I've lost weight. I've done this by eating sensibly (as has been suggested by most other responses to this thread). A healthy breakfast (fruit, oatmeal etc.), healthy lunch at the aqua spa, or if you're at the buffet load up on a big salad first. Fill up on leafy greens and vegetables before eating the unhealthy stuff. Don't drink pop or drinks with added sugar.

If something looks delicious, try it. But only take one bite - and if it's not a "10", don't eat the rest. If it's a 10, go for it - you're on vacation after all - but don't indulge in too many of those.

And make sure you exercise. I am in the gym lifting weights for 20 minutes every day on a cruise. Not long, and I only work on muscle group (chest one day, then back, then arms, then legs, etc) with 3 sets of 2 exercises. I will also run/jog/walk for at least 30 minutes in the morning, and my wife & I will usually walk around a lot in the ports.

Using these tips for nutrition and exercise, I've lost 150+ pounds and now weigh about 160lbs. All from making small changes, on and off the ship.

Life is all about choices; if you want different results, make different choices.

If I can be of help by providing more specifics, just let me know

Congratulations! Great advice.

No elevators, use stairs only. A minimum of 1000 calories a day at the gym on the machines. Do lots of jogging. At least 3 - 4 miles a day. No deserts. I do have some frozen yogurt though. Lots of salads with very little of the creamy dressings. No fried foods at all. No greasy burgers, no hot dogs, lots of veggies, no pasta.

You should def not gain any weight.

According to my dictionary, cruiserweight should be no more than 200 lbs. I am 195 lbs and fully intend/expect to put on at least 6 lbs on my

upcoming 16 day Infinity cruise, will they force me off at Panama?

As RE calories burnt 1,000=2.5 hrs on a treadmill, stair climbing=500 per hour etc. I'm all for moderate exercise but isn't there better things to do on a cruise? Maybe I should cancel and go on NCL where there is no chance of eating to much food!!!!!

Not sure about how to avoid weight gain, but would love to know~ when I returned from a 3 night the scale was UP about EIGHT POUNDS. I know, sounds INSANE doesn't it? Now, you probably think I totally gorged myself on food. Sooooo not the case. I think the reason is because I normally eat no salt or processed foods, only organic dairy products and meat etc. On the cruise all of the food seems loaded with sodium, and there are not organic choices. I ate yogurt, lox and hard boiled eggs for breakfast, lunch was a cheeseburger at Atlantis and one on CocoCay (I know, bad), dinners were grilled salmon or beef with veggies. Never had bread at dinner and had a few bites of dessert. I did drink quite a bit. Walked the deck an hour each morning and in port. I knew the weight had to be water weight because my clothes did not feel any tighter. Within about a week the weight was gone. So, how do people lose weight on cruises??

According to my dictionary, cruiserweight should be no more than 200 lbs. I am 195 lbs and fully intend/expect to put on at least 6 lbs on my

upcoming 16 day Infinity cruise, will they force me off at Panama?

As RE calories burnt 1,000=2.5 hrs on a treadmill, stair climbing=500 per hour etc. I'm all for moderate exercise but isn't there better things to do on a cruise? Maybe I should cancel and go on NCL where there is no chance of eating to much food!!!!!

I love to work out and at home with work I'm always rushed. On a cruise I can take my time. On a treadmill or elyptical it takes about 1:15 give or take a couple of minutes to do 1000 calories. Sure. An NCL cruise would give you the same results without having to work out, but that takes away from all the fun of sweating.

I'm easy to find on a cruise I'm either at the gym, out jogging or in the steam room.

You feel better at the end of the cruise weighing 193 than 200

I always go on a diet before I cruise, that way I can enjoy myself and not worry about every bite I put into my mouth. Just returned from Alaska for 11 days and before the trip, I lost 11 pounds prior to leaving and I gained 5. I'm way ahead of the game and I ate what I wanted.

I think the reason is because I normally eat no salt or processed foods, only organic dairy products and meat etc. On the cruise all of the food seems loaded with sodium, and there are not organic choices. ................... Within about a week the weight was gone. So, how do people lose weight on cruises??

I agree 100%. I add salt to nothing at home and the wonderful meals on X are loaded with sodium. There is no question that I add water weight...if it was more than that it wouldn't fall off so fast once home.

I don't try to lose weight on a cruise or on ANY vacation. I'm there to relax not worry about a few pounds....

I work out like a maniac at home, 5-6 days a week. Usually go a few times during a week long cruise, maybe 3-4 on 10 & 11 night journeys but not more than that. Having fun doing nothing most days......if I wanted to work out on vacation I would stay home where my gym has everything state of the art......

If others find it fun on a ship then go for it...chances are I won't be taking up time on the treadmill to keep you from it....:D

I'm dreading this aspect. What makes it worse is in this last week I've put on a few pounds now the weather is turning colder so I'm already at a disadvantage! I'll probably spend hours in the gym :(

As for the sodium point raised above, I know American food is loaded with salt and sugar which I'm really nervous about, particularly as my Dad has high blood pressure and currently eats no added salt. Do Celebrity do low-sodium dishes?

I agree with those who posted about food on a cruise having a lot more salt than at home. At home I use very little salt and prepare tasty meals by seasoning them with spices that are much healthier than salt.

On a cruise my feet have a tendency to swell and I use to think it was from the heat but then I realized I never have that problem at home during the summer or when we are on a land based vacation where we have more control of what we eat. I now attribute that problem to the cruse line's excessive use of salt.

As for the sodium point raised above, I know American food is loaded with salt and sugar which I'm really nervous about, particularly as my Dad has high blood pressure and currently eats no added salt. Do Celebrity do low-sodium dishes?

There is a special needs department to contact, I had to do it for an allergy I have to one type of artificial sweetner. I know low sodium diets are available, they just want some advance notice. You will get some forms to fill out and fax back to them.

I'm dreading this aspect. What makes it worse is in this last week I've put on a few pounds now the weather is turning colder so I'm already at a disadvantage! I'll probably spend hours in the gym :(

Speak to your maitre d'. If he is good, he will go over the next evening's menu with your Dad each night. With his help, your Dad can arrange a low sodium meal.

Well this isn't "American Food" but YES the ship's food is high in sodium and YES you can sign your Dad up for a "lo-salt" diet. You can do that before you even cruise by letting your TA know or calling X yourself.

I agree 100%.

If others find it fun on a ship then go for it...chances are I won't be taking up time on the treadmill to keep you from it....:D

I quite agree, I don't see anybody, me included, getting up at 5 to put a towel on a treadmill to reserve it!!!!!

As you'll see below, one year from now we will be cruising! So this morning I rejoined the gym (afraid to say I was 'lapsed') and am going to make slow but steady progress towards departure day in Rome! Once onboard, it shall be a case of sensible exercise as described by other posters but also I plan to eat, drink and be merry, since that is part of what makes cruising so enjoyable!

Archived