How to avoid weight gain?

Can'tstopcruising

We are going on our first b2b. It will total 21 days. I don't wish to gain even ONE pound.

Some of you cruise so many days a year. How do you avoid gaining? Please share your secrets! Thanks.

Avoid second portions of food' date=' including high fat cuts of meat, rich desserts, high in sugar, as well as high calorie alcoholic drinks! Work out in the gym daily and go for brisk walks at least twice a day![/size']

My wife and I have taken a couple of full world cruises so we have learned how to eat well on the ship. We also last cruised Celebrity in 2007. On the world cruises that were over 100 days each we each actually lost weight.

Here is what we do.

We do not view voyages say of 21 days as we used to view a one week cruise. We adjusted what we ate and how much we exercised.

We workout each day. That can be whatever you like to do. At a minimum take long walks each day. If you can, use the steps and not the ship elevators.

Eat reasonable portions of food. As you order think calories.

For breakfast we have cereal or oatmeal and fruit.

For lunch we would go over to the Aqua Spa Cafe when we were on the summit and have a nice salad and fish entree. Avoid rolls/bread at lunch. If you enjoy salad think carefully what you put on it. If you put the wrong things on the salad and drench it with dressing it will actually be far more calories.

Do not get seconds.

For dinner, we would try to have items such as fish and salads. We would have a roll but no butter. We would have fruit afterwards.

Once a cruise we'd have a dessert.

In short, you can eat more at home if you can balance this off by burning more calories at home. You can also order lots of healthy items and view the experience as if you are going to a health spa and enjoying the fact that there are lots of heatlhy foods and you do not have to cook them or clean up.

Other trick. Eat slow and enjoy the food. Too often people eat fast and really do not take the time to enjoy the food. Enjoy the food as if you were enjoying a glass of fine wine.

Keith

It is not your fault. It is the salt water of the ocean mixing with the air and breathed into the body witch causes water retention.

I hope that's a joke; gaining weight is almost always the result of choices the individual makes, and on a cruise it is the same.

I've lost weight on every cruise I've been on in the last 2 years. Before that, I gained weight. The difference is that on my first few cruises, I'd indulge in excess - fries with lunch and dinner, one or two desserts at each meal, a greasy breakfast etc - and I also would not exercise regularly. I weighed about 300 lbs at the time

On my cruises in the last 2 years, I've lost weight. I've done this by eating sensibly (as has been suggested by most other responses to this thread). A healthy breakfast (fruit, oatmeal etc.), healthy lunch at the aqua spa, or if you're at the buffet load up on a big salad first. Fill up on leafy greens and vegetables before eating the unhealthy stuff. Don't drink pop or drinks with added sugar.

If something looks delicious, try it. But only take one bite - and if it's not a "10", don't eat the rest. If it's a 10, go for it - you're on vacation after all - but don't indulge in too many of those.

And make sure you exercise. I am in the gym lifting weights for 20 minutes every day on a cruise. Not long, and I only work on muscle group (chest one day, then back, then arms, then legs, etc) with 3 sets of 2 exercises. I will also run/jog/walk for at least 30 minutes in the morning, and my wife & I will usually walk around a lot in the ports.

Using these tips for nutrition and exercise, I've lost 150+ pounds and now weigh about 160lbs. All from making small changes, on and off the ship.

Life is all about choices; if you want different results, make different choices.

If I can be of help by providing more specifics, just let me know

I hope that's a joke; gaining weight is almost always the result of choices the individual makes, and on a cruise it is the same.

I've lost weight on every cruise I've been on in the last 2 years. Before that, I gained weight. The difference is that on my first few cruises, I'd indulge in excess - fries with lunch and dinner, one or two desserts at each meal, a greasy breakfast etc - and I also would not exercise regularly. I weighed about 300 lbs at the time

On my cruises in the last 2 years, I've lost weight. I've done this by eating sensibly (as has been suggested by most other responses to this thread). A healthy breakfast (fruit, oatmeal etc.), healthy lunch at the aqua spa, or if you're at the buffet load up on a big salad first. Fill up on leafy greens and vegetables before eating the unhealthy stuff. Don't drink pop or drinks with added sugar.

If something looks delicious, try it. But only take one bite - and if it's not a "10", don't eat the rest. If it's a 10, go for it - you're on vacation after all - but don't indulge in too many of those.

And make sure you exercise. I am in the gym lifting weights for 20 minutes every day on a cruise. Not long, and I only work on muscle group (chest one day, then back, then arms, then legs, etc) with 3 sets of 2 exercises. I will also run/jog/walk for at least 30 minutes in the morning, and my wife & I will usually walk around a lot in the ports.

Using these tips for nutrition and exercise, I've lost 150+ pounds and now weigh about 160lbs. All from making small changes, on and off the ship.

Life is all about choices; if you want different results, make different choices.

If I can be of help by providing more specifics, just let me know

Congratulations! You have done so well. And you realize how much work it is to keep it off!

I am fairly good(!!). I walk, swim, exercise, avoid the elevators. I enjoy fruit and an eggwhite omelette for most breakfasts. I make myself a big salad for lunch (lofat dressing)I like some nuts on my salad (calories, but healthy). I think the problem is that after a breakfast which is larger than normal (half a bagel at home), the salad it too much, too soon. My BIGGEST problem is the ice cream. That's my 4pm indulgence. I eat carefully at dinner, but it is still too much too late. (Late seating). I can't seem to resist the pillow chocolates. I think this time I will tell them not to give them to us!

I love all your wonderful suggestions.

Isn't this a better discussion that what others wear, tip, etc????

Thanks for all the good suggestions, however, we are going to go to the exercise room on this cruise, just to keep our physical therapy routine going, and hopefully not gain any weight. This past cruise I did gain about 5 lbs, ugh. We do eat at the Spa area for breakfast mostly, but those desserts at noon always get to us.

I am now motivated by the suggestions here.

Not to hi jack this thread, but I do have a few questions for the exercise area:

Is there a personal trainer?

Is there a Pilates program?

Other than the treadmills and bicycle machines, what is available?

Maybe this cruise we will stick to the healthy foods in the menu. Plus the exercise room.

Don't loose site of the fact you are on vacation - it is to enjoy. Sure, eat in moderation, do some basic exercise on the ship(nothing better that a good stair climb to the 8-10 levels if you feel up to that)). Shore excursions are good exercise with the walking) As the various posters indicated - it will all help. Then again if you do put on an extra 5 lbs despite it all - so what! When you get back home, I am sure you will easily shed that extra few pounds.

I know I lost 3 LBS immediately after our last cruise when I faced my VISA bill 2 weeks after we got home!!!;);)

No elevators, use stairs only. A minimum of 1000 calories a day at the gym on the machines. Do lots of jogging. At least 3 - 4 miles a day. No deserts. I do have some frozen yogurt though. Lots of salads with very little of the creamy dressings. No fried foods at all. No greasy burgers, no hot dogs, lots of veggies, no pasta.

You should def not gain any weight.

Use the stairs. Always. This is especially true if you have a cabin on deck 2 or 3.

Eat at the AquaSpa cafe for breakfast and lunch. Eat sensibly at dinner. Eat lots of fruit.

The big concept is not to constantly graze. Go eat what you want (try to be sensible about it, but you are on vacation...). Then, no snacking... don't eat again until you are genuinely hungry again.

Oh, and use the gym, jogging track, and go swimming in the pools. It'll make mealtime come quicker ;)

I'm learning that it helps to eat breakfast and have a small snack before lunch depending on what time you eat--and try to eat filling foods like they say on weight watchers-meals should have protein and fiber-they keep you fuller much longer and give you energy you need to be active-instead of starving and waiting around for the next meal. To me if I know there is some treat to look forward to then it makes getting through other meals easier. If you have eaten well at breakfast and lunch and exercised then a sensible dinner plus some dessert should be ok. The point system on weight watchers is great-gives you a sense of how to "spend" your points each day depending on where you need to have some extra.

I have never lost weight on a crusie but I have stayed the same.

I eat the same breakfast as I do at home - fruit, granola, yogurt, and choose something healthy for lunch - broth based soups (not cream based), salad, grilled meat, and go light on the carbs. Then I allow myself what I want for dinner(it IS vacation after all).

I always use the stairs and walk on the treadmill or promanade deck on sea days.

We also choose active shore excursions-swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, etc.

And don't be so hard on yourself. Gaining 1 or 2 pounds isn't the end of the world.

If I limit my alcohol to only a few glasses of wine during a cruise, I can eat anything I want and not gain weight.

I agree this is part of the issue of weight gain on board, the greater than usual consumption.

And the bread, rolls, pasta and yes, waffles. (sorry Ed)

Salads are culprits too with the dressings. Better to just skip that and eat the veggies which are always good.

Grace, yes there are good trainers and equipment in the fitness center and some good classes to. The morning stretch is very enjoyable.

And don't be so hard on yourself. Gaining 1 or 2 pounds isn't the end of the world.

AMEN to that! I lost 75lbs about 6 years ago and have kept it off. I am diligent about exercise and food at home, on the cruise I do what I want. I do go to the gym a bit and use the stairs but if I want something to eat I eat it...I AM on vacation and if that means a few pounds so be it....I do seem to drop most of it almost immediately so I know it's mostly water weight anyway.

Have a good time, it's not like you're going to continue eating those several course meals once home again!!! The weight will come back off, always has for me anyway!!

I ate much more than usual on my cruise, and still lost weight. Had dessert, ate often, I think for me frequent meals helped me to lose weight. I am always watching what I eat at home, eat infrequently and that alone can drop your metabolism.

Like others said, take the stairs. This can add up to an hour or so of stair stepping type exercise a day. On the cruise I had gained weight, I do think it is from all the salt in the food. If your hands or ankles are bigger, you know that is water retention and not a true weight gain. As soon as I got home I weighed myself and I was 3 pounds lighter than when I left for the cruise.

something no-one has mentioned so far - go to the gym before breakfast the first morning and use the scales to weigh yourself.

each morning (perhaps after the morning stretch class) weigh yourself and adjust accordingly.

All the other hints so far are what I use - along with avoiding port shuttles and taxis for short distances I can walk.

Les

Archived