Latest to Book a Flight?

Senoj84

Sorry but your question is too vague to answer but I will try. If you're asking:

Q- "What is the latest I can decide to take a certain flight?"

A- As long as seats are available you can literally drive to the airport a few hours before the flight and buy a ticket. They are called "walk up" fares and are similar to the rack rate at hotels. You will pay many times more than the person who booked in advance.

Q- "What is the latest I can wait to book and still get a reasonable fare?"

A- Depends on so many things that you will need to provide route, travel dates, etc.

Q- "What is the latest flight I can take to the cruise?"

A- Depends on your risk and stress tolerance, the port, and time of year. But most on this forum highly recommend flying in the day prior.

Hope one of these is the answer you were looking for...unfortunately "vague question = vague answer" so please provide more detail.

What I'm asking is the latest you've booked a flight before a cruise. Some book a flight 6 months in advance some wait until 2 months before the cruise or 3 weeks before the cruise to book a flight. Hope this clears my question up.

And I am sure there are even people who show up at the airport a couple hours before their flight to book airfare.

This clears up your question, but am not sure why this matters? Are you really asking if someone felt they got a better price booking a certain amount of time out, or just the exact amount of time before their departure date that they booked airfare?

And I am sure there are even people who show up at the airport a couple hours before their flight to book airfare.

This clears up your question, but am not sure why this matters? Are you really asking if someone felt they got a better price booking a certain amount of time out, or just the exact amount of time before their departure date that they booked airfare?

No, I'm just curious to see how late in advance people have booked flights.

The experience of someone else regarding ticket timeframe purchase has nil relevance to your particular circumstance. Whether it would be a) available or b) affordable is something that only your own risk-tolerance level can evaluate.

I have booked air travel 2 hours before I've flown. I have booked air travel 11 months before I have flown. Different circumstances for different purchasing processes.

And if your question is pure curiosity as to when people buy....I'll pass on providing an irrelevant data point.

As you can tell, some people take CC a little too seriously.. :rolleyes:

and some people also take themselves far too seriously as well.

To give you some sort of perspective to your question.

It would be total folly to book and pay in its entirety for a cruise, and then leave yourself to the vagaries of the airlines in terms of availability to delay booking until the last moment.

When I booked for the Mariner (which I go on in October) in March this year, I booked my flights, having researched my direct and indirect options, within 3 weeks. I was lucky, the price of the flights has not been cheaper since I bought it, but if it had, then it would not have mattered to me. I bought when I was comfortable booking, and I would not bemoan either my bad luck or someone elses good luck by booking later and getting cheaper.

Hope that answers your question, at least in part.

Archived