Alcohol policy

wailea4me

I checked out the alcohol policy for various cruise lines on this site and it said bringing alcohol on board at embarkation was not permitted by any line, including Princess. However we took a Southern Caribbean cruise with Princess last Feb. and right before we boarded the ship there was an area set up with all kinds of alcohol vendors. We were told if we purchased alcohol there it would be permitted onboard so we did buy a bottle of rum and some Diet Coke. We left this sitting out in our stateroom and it was never disturbed. So is carry-on alcohol permitted on Princess or not? Do you know if any other lines allows you to carry on alcohol?

It is actually not permitted on Princess either, they just do not enforce their own rules on a regular basis. There have been times when passengers reported they had it taken away (even on Princess) and held until the last night onboard. Most times you get lucky on Princess, but sometimes you don't.

Room Stewards aren't going to give you a hard time when their tip is involved. But security at check in is the main one that seems to be a bit iffy on certain sailings.

When we boarded the Sapphire for a Mexican cruise people were carrying on their booze in cases at embarcation! I had about 4 bottles of wine with me and it was cool.

We also always premix martini's and put in in our checked luggage and never have a problem.

The offical policy of Princess is wine and champagne is ok to bring aboard; liquor and beer may not be brought aboard. However they seem to be pretty lax in enforcing this policy. We use the "Rum Runner" product and have no trouble bring liquor aboard in checked luggage. I have brought liquor and beer aboard in carry on without an issue as well .... but you never know, they could take it from you. I also believe that you need to use a bit of descretion and not try to take aboard enough to float the ship.

Be discreet when boarding initally or in ports. We start w/ bottles in checked bags. In ports we buy a box and then put a bottle in carry on so when they call to security that there is liquor, we give them the box to hold and everyone is happy except for the rule quoters.

Be discreet when boarding initally or in ports. We start w/ bottles in checked bags. In ports we buy a box and then put a bottle in carry on so when they call to security that there is liquor, we give them the box to hold and everyone is happy except for the rule quoters.

Do Not Understand - what is in the box and why would you buy a bottle just to let them hold??

Ron

I checked out the alcohol policy for various cruise lines on this site and it said bringing alcohol on board at embarkation was not permitted by any line, including Princess. However we took a Southern Caribbean cruise with Princess last Feb. and right before we boarded the ship there was an area set up with all kinds of alcohol vendors. We were told if we purchased alcohol there it would be permitted onboard so we did buy a bottle of rum and some Diet Coke. We left this sitting out in our stateroom and it was never disturbed. So is carry-on alcohol permitted on Princess or not? Do you know if any other lines allows you to carry on alcohol?

In answer to your question, there are no mass-market cruise lines that permit bringing your own booze onboard. There are those that permit a bottle of wine or champagne.

If found, each cruise line does it's own thing. Some keep it and return it at the end of the cruise, some look the other way.

Carnival will confiscate and destroy it - with no compensation.

It's up to you to decide for yourself......

is what you get in the liquor store to hold 2/4/6 bottles. They hold those boxes until the last day. Same as if you bought in the on board df shop.

By the way, I save these boxes for the next cruise and use them to bring on wine and mixers.

is what you get in the liquor store to hold 2/4/6 bottles. They hold those boxes until the last day. Same as if you bought in the on board df shop.

By the way, I save these boxes for the next cruise and use them to bring on wine and mixers.

Still don't understand your previous post. Did you carry the box to your room and just give them one bottle to hold or did you give them the box and carry one bottle to your room or neither? And - was it wine or liquor?

Ron

Still don't understand your previous post. Did you carry the box to your room and just give them one bottle to hold or did you give them the box and carry one bottle to your room or neither? And - was it wine or liquor?

Ron

I can't fathom the need for a box either.

Bottom line if you want to take alcohol onboard Princess have it inside a piece of luggage or carry on bag and not in a shopping bag and you will have no problem.

San Juan is the only port I have seen where they actually encourage you to purchase liquor in the cruise terminal and then carry it onboard.

Mike:)

Officially, you can carry wine and champagne on, but no ther alcohol.

However,it is not strictly enforced. In fact, I have never seen or heard of it being enforced on Princess.

One time I did see Princess security confiscating hard liquor from carryons - San Diego several years ago. It was very obvious. If it has happened since, I haven't noticed it.

I can't fathom the need for a box either.

Mike:)

I cannot presume to speak for the original poster, but I think their logic is that the bottle (or two) in their hand luggage will be overlooked if the security staff get to take the box away and hold it until the end of the cruise.

Officially, you can carry wine and champagne on, but no ther alcohol.

However,it is not strictly enforced. In fact, I have never seen or heard of it being enforced on Princess.

On our Ruby Med cruise in August, we visited the duty free shop in Kusadasi just before re-boarding. We did not purchase any liquor, but when we got to security, they had a desk set up and asked us if we had got any liquor in our bag. I noticed that there were what looked like confiscated bottles by the desk. I'm not sure if they were asking all passengers if they had purchased liquor, or just those who had a duty free carrier bag with them. ;)

Hi,

Section 5 of your passage contract details the agreement you have entered into after booking passage on a Princess Cruise Lines vessel. Suggest you review as that is the legal contract you as a passenger has signed with Princess.

Ciao for now!!!

I would have guessed the box was to take better care of the product IF it got pulled out by security. Not as an offer to security to hold for them.

WE are guessing what he means - I guess he doesn't want to tell us or perhaps he doesn't know either???

Ron

My guess is he plans to puchase a carry box full of liquor, but take one bottle and place in his carry on. When they are called to confiscate the liquor, security/staff will be more interested in the box of liquor and forget about the one bottle that is safely tucked in his carry on. They will look at the big picture and nobody will mention that the scanners picked up another bottle stashed away. ;)

My guess is he plans to puchase a carry box full of liquor, but take one bottle and place in his carry on. When they are called to confiscate the liquor, security/staff will be more interested in the box of liquor and forget about the one bottle that is safely tucked in his carry on. They will look at the big picture and nobody will mention that the scanners picked up another bottle stashed away. ;)

His post inferred just the opposite!

Ron

When you shop at the DF stores on shore if you buy several bottles they will pack it in a carry on box. Have the store pack most but keep a bottle or 2 in carry on if you want to use it while on board. When you return to the ship and security scans your bags and calls over to the guy at the table who tags liquor purchases give him the box and he will not know if there is more in carry on. It has always worked for me.

Archived