11 CCL ships out of FL - 3 in CA???

AZ Karaoke Girl

I know the reason I don't even look at doing a cruise out of CA is the time change for us. I don't think I could handle having a scheduled time to eat at 6 or 8:30 which would be 9 or 11:30 our time. I wouldn't be able eat in the MDR room because my stomach would force me to eat way before dinner time :oand I'd be so tired at night I'd miss all the shows:(. The only good thing would be I'd be awake early enough to beat the chair hogs out.:D I just don't think my body could adjust fast enough to make a cruise out of CA worth it.

Ah you get over it in one day:p I have no problem when I vacation in Hawaii........

[/b]

I have seen the same low prices but there are alot of people here in California that don't have jobs (as in alot of other places) and therefore can't book vacations right now. Maybe, when and if the economy turns around, people will start booking again and Carnival will send us a new ship!

We have a new ship ! ! The SPLENDOR.:D When you cruised on her, she was Carnival's NEWEST ship.

An older ship granted, but the SPIRIT is a beautiful ship sailing out of San Diego with my favorite ship layout. I cruised the SPLENDOR last week and I would rank the SPIRIT ABOVE the SPLENDOR in desirability.:)

We have a new ship ! ! The SPLENDOR.:D When you cruised on her, she was Carnival's NEWEST ship.

An older ship granted, but the SPIRIT is a beautiful ship sailing out of San Diego with my favorite ship layout. I cruised the SPLENDOR last week and I would rank the SPIRIT ABOVE the SPLENDOR in desirability.:)

Really? Inquiring minds want to know why?:D

Flights into Florida are much cheaper than into California. That could also have something to do with it. Remember, for most everyone, it isn't just the cruise fare. It's also the flight. So, flying into Florida is easier on the wallet than into California.

Not for us Californians:p:D

I have noticed prices coming down for the Conquest....granted not as low as Calif. but they have lots of dates for balcony cabins in the $700 range......even down to $669 for a sailing in Oct......

Believe me I am keeping my eye on Galveston:D

You wouldn't have seen it this low a year ago........and you have to remember that they only have one Mexican port (Cozumel)......

The Mexican Riviera was hit really hard with the swine flu.....we talked to many of the locals and resort employees a couple of weeks ago and they said their resorts and hotel occupancy is still way down.....

And let's face it Texas was not hit as hard by the economy as Calif.....

True but the Ecstacy, again, does Progreso and Cozumel. With the swine flu, it ended up being a cruise to no where.

I hate to say it but maybe Carnival is giving you guys the Magic. I would prefer it be Galveston but, what I want has never really swayed Carnival in the past. You know, free cruises, free cruises, and fruit punch.

I just don't see that happening. If they can't fill the Splendor why would they give them a new, bigger ship?

If they aren't getting top prices for the Conquest in Galveston then I don't think they will send the Magic there either.

I think Carnival had no choice but to pull a ship due to lack of interest. Splendor wasnt pulling down decent prices, too low compared to other ships... what would you have Carnival do. If you guys really wanted to save the ship, should have been talking up booking from Calif more.... like us Texans talk up going out of Galveston.

Iv seen some ridiculously low prices out of Calif, so you cant blame Carnival, blame the lack of Calif's booking Carnival ships.

I think though some of the lack of interest was that the itineraries got old after awhile. You can only do the Catalina/Ensenada route so many times (this is the biggest complaint from people on the West Coast). It would be nice if Carnival could offer a PNW cruise just to give us more choices. Or even a 5 day Mexican Riviera (besides Cabo and Ensenada). It really just comes down to lack of choices that's all.

Not for us Californians:p:D

True. If you are cruising out of California. Texans out of Texas, Floridians out of Florida and so on. But, for the majority, flying into Florida is less expensive when you combine with a Florida cruise. If it wasn't so expensive, we would do the Mexican Riveria. But, air fare plus cruise fare does not make it affordable. I feel for those of you in California. But, being a landlocked person, we fly or drive 10+ hours. Either way, we look for the best bargains and variety of cruise. California really doesn't offer that. Sorry. But that's just me!!!

I just don't see that happening. If they can't fill the Splendor why would they give them a new, bigger ship?

If they aren't getting top prices for the Conquest in Galveston then I don't think they will send the Magic there either.

They are getting TOP DOLLAR for the Conquest and Ecstacy. Believe me!!!!! And, neither ever sails with an empty cabin.

i think though some of the lack of interest was that the itineraries got old after awhile. You can only do the catalina/ensenada route so many times (this is the biggest complaint from people on the west coast). It would be nice if carnival could offer a pnw cruise just to give us more choices. Or even a 5 day mexican riviera (besides cabo and ensenada). It really just comes down to lack of choices that's all.

Agreed!!!!!!!! Lack of choices equals lack of interest equals Carnival slowly pulling out!!!!!!

It's all driven by economics. If people were willing to pay, there would be more ships in California. Just do a quick comparison of the cruises in CA and FL, and you'll find the ones in CA are significantly less expensive than a similar-length cruise from FL. Ships are big expensive investments and Carnival has to maximize itss return on that investment. As to selection, there's a limit on the itineraries that a foreign-flagged cruise ship can sail from California. There simply aren't nearly as many foreign ports within a 7 day (or of course shorter) round-trip as there are from FL.

Ah you get over it in one day:p I have no problem when I vacation in Hawaii........

Nope. My body can't take it. :o It takes me at least 3-4 days to get over it and by then my vacation is half done. Then I need to get back to normal in another 3-4 days so I can function at work. :( That's why I like going to Vegas when I go west. They have shows and dinners and breakfast anytime of the day. I can keep to my normal time schedule and still enjoy my vacation.:D

Nope. My body can't take it. :o It takes me at least 3-4 days to get over it and by then my vacation is half done. Then I need to get back to normal in another 3-4 days so I can function at work. :( That's why I like going to Vegas when I go west. They have shows and dinners and breakfast anytime of the day. I can keep to my normal time schedule and still enjoy my vacation.:D

The key is to arrive at night and go straight to sleep. If you still have a hard time adjusting, try melatonin. It's available over the counter, and does wonders for quickly adjusting your sleep cycle.

I think though some of the lack of interest was that the itineraries got old after awhile. You can only do the Catalina/Ensenada route so many times (this is the biggest complaint from people on the West Coast). It would be nice if Carnival could offer a PNW cruise just to give us more choices. Or even a 5 day Mexican Riviera (besides Cabo and Ensenada). It really just comes down to lack of choices that's all.

Cabo was too far.....how would they be able to pull off a 5 dayer farther:confused:

It would be nice if Carnival could offer a PNW cruise just to give us more choices. Or even a 5 day Mexican Riviera (besides Cabo and Ensenada). It really just comes down to lack of choices that's all.

The main point for me is they took away our summer options. We are left with one choice for a short cruise that doesn't go to desirable locations. I'm from Arizona - hot Arizona. So during the summer when the kids are out of school and I want to go to a cooler location, it will cost me fortune to travel with air costs for the whole family. A PNW cruise to cooler weather is very appealing to me. I would like to see Seattle and I was a little girl when I visited San Francisco so that would be nice and a heck of a lot cooler than the 110 temps we deal with.

I personally like the Spirit. My favorite ship. I'm booked on it Oct 2010 but it only offers sailings 2 months out of the year when kids are in school. I will sail on the Splendor someday especially since that appears to be our only Carnival option but I've heard things about the ship that aren't all that appealing.

The Conquest price has come down since last year.......last year they were getting top dollar.........

Compared to similar cruises out of ports like Florida, they are still getting top dollar.

Triumph is not pulling down near what either Galveston ship pulls down as a daily $$$ rate and its not even that much further away for us. Im trying Triumph in Dec to see if its worth it, but as Lorrie says, getting there is part of the cost analysis. Galveston we can park and stay cheaper and drive down the morning of the cruise, and its only $50 to park for the week safely. New Orleans, hotels are over $100 and its now $16 a day to park at the port....it adds up and pulls down cruise prices.

The same reason Carnival did not bring 2 ships back to New Orleans...

the bottom line.

Carnival tried to give California more ships and you folks did not support it.

Can't blame Carnival for that.

Well California is also at 12.2 percent. So I think its kind of hard for people to go on a cruise vacation when they don't even have a job.

I sense that the California ships draw more of a local market customer (California, Nevada, Arizona) then do the Florida ships that draw from all over the country. Think of LA something like you think of Baltimore or New York. Probably not going to get as much Chicago business as Florida.

That said, I think Carnival would do well to broaden their product offering rather than simply try to get a ship stationed every 300 miles down the east coast. While Charleston is a great idea allowing even more folks to drive to the port, I'd take a single Fantasy class or Spirit class ship (cause they are smaller) and reach deeper into the Caribbean on 10-14 day loops.

Princess certainly offers it. Wonder if that is a product offering CCL is considering?

The same reason Carnival did not bring 2 ships back to New Orleans...

the bottom line.

Carnival tried to give California more ships and you folks did not support it.

Can't blame Carnival for that.

No sympathy from my fellow Evil Krewe member! ;)

I have supported them. Half of my cruises have been out of California. And I was waiting patiently to see Elation's Cabo schedule for next year so I could book. I realize it's not Carnival's fault for the lack of itineraries and though I'm not a Californian, I can't see Catalina/Ensenada holding much appeal as repeat cruising destinations for them. Cabo is the only one that held appeal for me as a repeat port.

Additionally, it never made much sense to me to have both Paradise and Elation essentially sailing the same routes.

I sense that the California ships draw more of a local market customer (California, Nevada, Arizona) then do the Florida ships that draw from all over the country. Think of LA something like you think of Baltimore or New York. Probably not going to get as much Chicago business as Florida.

That said, I think Carnival would do well to broaden their product offering rather than simply try to get a ship stationed every 300 miles down the east coast. While Charleston is a great idea allowing even more folks to drive to the port, I'd take a single Fantasy class or Spirit class ship (cause they are smaller) and reach deeper into the Caribbean on 10-14 day loops.

Princess certainly offers it. Wonder if that is a product offering CCL is considering?

Your absolutely correct, California, Arizona, and the even worse economy beaten state Nevada.......and let's not forget Canada too........I even read on here that more Californians fly to Florida to cruise then vise versa......

Same reason Hal and Princess don't offer short cruises......

Different markets......Princess and Hal market the longer cruises with itineraries that focus on Europe, Alaska and Hawaii........

Carnival's focus is shorter cruises to the Caribbean and Mexico......

Interesting discussion. I can certainly understand the OP's viewpoint of a loss of a ship. I think at the end of the day it is a bottom line decision. If Elation was not selling (for whatever reason...the economy, the ports, features on the ship etc.) then they will move it to a port where they think it will sell. Let's face it, the destination market for CA is limited.

Archived