Santorini Sites - Can We Do It All?

Wakkyj

DH and I will be in Santorini mid-October from 7am-9pm and want to take advantage of the day as much as possible.

We are thinking of traveling by bus (but also considering renting a car) and seeing the following not necessarily in this order:

Prehistoric Museum in Fira, Walking from Fira along the path to Imerovigli then taking bus to Oia. Walking around Oia. Perissa Beach. Winery perhaps near Megalohori. See the sunset before heading back to the ship.

Is it reasonable to accomplish all that we have planned?

Would it also be possible to take the trip to the volcano and hot springs or is it just too much to squeeze in?

For sunset is it reasonable to see it in Oia at 6:50 and still make it back in time to the ship or would we be better to just see it in Fira?

Any suggestions whether it would be better to rent a car or take the bus?

How busy will it likely be in mid-October?

All comments appreciated.

Out of the main tourist season I don't think the buses from Fira to Oia run very often so it would be best to make your way back to Fira before sunset just in case. It is also about a 30 minute bus ride from Fira to Oia so bear this in mind as well.

We would be a bit concerned about getting back to the tender pier on time. Your last tender will probably be at 8:30 which means you would probably want to be back down to the port by 8:15. In order to accomplish this you would need to be on the cable car a little after 8 (this is really cutting it close) which means you need to get back to Fira by about 7:45 (it takes time to walk from the bus station to the cable car station). In other words, if you are not on a bus in Oia by about 7:15 you need to start worrying about missing the ship. Keep in mind that those buses do not run as often as one would hope and delays can happen. Also keep in mind that depending where you watch the sunset in Oia it can take 10 min (give or take a few min) just to walk from your location to the bus stop. The bottom line is we would never recommend watching the sunset in Oia when you must depend on the bus (might not even be possible depending on the bus schedule). Sometimes those buses are only running once an hour or 1 1/2 hours. So, what to do? You probably need to arrange for a taxi in advance to be waiting for you at Oia, and feel confident that the taxi will honor the commitment.

Hank

We were in Santorini just last week. We found the bus schedule to be in writing only. And the crowds that needed to get on a bus in Fira to Oia just about trampled each other trying to get on the one bus that showed up in a 50 min. waiting period. :eek: Altho we were in the first group of 6 people to wait for the bus, we were pushed out of the way and never got on. Totally unruly and unorganized.

I would take no chances with the bus system. Either coming or going to Oia. Either allow a couple hours to get on a bus or just cab it. Depending how busy the island is, those can be a challenge to find too. The island is not geared up for large numbers of cruisers at one time.

Hi - we were just in Santorini last month and rented a car. We went to Oia and walked the length of it then had a drink at the most amazing bar/pool area I've ever seen! Then we went for a drive all around the island and to Kamira and Perissa. We sailed earlier than you but we still left plenty of time to get back to the ship. We saw the beautiful sunset from on board and it was still amazing :)

Here are some pics to show you what I'm talking about....

javssl.jpg

34ovqiv.jpg

Scottygirl.....We will be in Santorini 27 Nov (Solstice) and will be renting a car and exploring the island. Which rental company did you use, if I may ask? I read somewhere that the driver needs some kind of int'l driving license ($15)? Did they ask you for this when you picked up the car? Did you pick up the car in Fira?

Thanks......

Scottygirl.....We will be in Santorini 27 Nov (Solstice) and will be renting a car and exploring the island. Which rental company did up the car? Did you pick up the car in Fira?

Thanks......

Hi - we had international licenses, not sure if they asked for these because we toured with a couple from Canada and he drove. We don't drive on the right hand side of road so we thought it best to allow someone to drive who was used to this!!

The company was just on the main road of Fira, not sure what it was called. We initially booked a car with another company but the car didn't turn up so we just walked and asked until we found a car that was available. It cost a little more but hey, what price a day in paradise!! We went to Oia first then after an amazing time there we went over to the beaches and had lunch somewhere on the way. If it was down to me, we would never have made it back with my sense of direction but luckily the guys with us knew exactly where we were!

Seriously this was just the best day ever. Oia was unbelievable - you really can't believe that it is actually like the photos, if not better!!

We used Eurodollar in Santorini in August and were very pleased with this family run operation. Once on the ground, they were very helpful with helping to plan our drive around Santorini. It did take us longer to get around than we had thought it would. However, the island was at its peak with tourists so perhaps that slowed us down. We did get an international driver's license. It is my understanding that if you have an accident and you don't have one, the fines can be pricey. So it was worth the extra $15 just to be sure. Enjoy your time there. Whatever you see, even if its not everything, will be wonderful.

This is all very helpful info!

We're thinking of doing the hike/walk from Fira to Oia.

Can anyone tell me how far Fira is from where the ship tenders? Is it walkable or will a bus jaunt be necessary?

Thank you!!

This is all very helpful info!

We're thinking of doing the hike/walk from Fira to Oia.

Can anyone tell me how far Fira is from where the ship tenders? Is it walkable or will a bus jaunt be necessary?

Thank you!!

The ship tenders just off Fira and you get the cablecar or donkey up to Fira. Oia is quite a way and while the walk might be beautiful in part, it will take a lot of time that you could spend seeing other sights.

That's understandable. We're pretty avid walkers, but I can see where seeing actual sights might be best with only 8 hours. Maybe the hike would make more sense if we were there for several days.

Is Fira a place worth staying in to just walk around/shop/etc.? Or does anyone recommend also going elsewhere?

That's understandable. We're pretty avid walkers, but I can see where seeing actual sights might be best with only 8 hours. Maybe the hike would make more sense if we were there for several days.

Is Fira a place worth staying in to just walk around/shop/etc.? Or does anyone recommend also going elsewhere?

Fira is beautiful and if you don't have the time to go elsewhere then I'm sure you'd have a magical time just being there BUT Oia was much more picturesque in my opinion. I am so very glad we went there! Either way, you will love it!

We were in Santorini last May and shared a cab with another couple from Fira to Oia, cost was 15 E total. We had planned on taking the bus back but experienced the same chaos that eandj experienced: late bus, then wrong bus, then pushing, shoving masses, and NO TAXIS anywhere! My husband just about had a meltdown: I mean, you could see the steam coming out of his ears!! :eek: Just by pure, dumb luck, I found a minivan driver with an empty vehicle pulling into a parking space, and was able to entice him to transport my DH and myself, plus 16 of our new best friends, back to Fira. Wasn't our fondest travel memory, but makes a great story, though.

We're going back in May 2010, and this time, we're renting an ATV.

About the volcano hike and hot springs, I read some negative comments on TripAdvisor.com, that the ocean water was freezing, and you had to swim quite a ways from the boat to get to the hot water, which was actually luke-warm. I'd say skip that part of your day.

Marcie

My husband and I are traveling with 7 other families on the Splendour leaving Oct. 23. Do you recommend keeping the kids (we have a 3.5 year old) on board for this stop. Our plan is to leave him in kids club every other day or so. So -- between Corfu and Santorini -- any advice on which one to take the kiddo with us?

My husband and I are traveling with 7 other families on the Splendour leaving Oct. 23. Do you recommend keeping the kids (we have a 3.5 year old) on board for this stop. Our plan is to leave him in kids club every other day or so. So -- between Corfu and Santorini -- any advice on which one to take the kiddo with us?

We just returned from a 12nt that included Santorini. We rented a car and saw the entire island. It is very do-able on your own, but I would consider leaving the little one on the ship for this one. There are alot of inclines and steep sets of stairs, Not something I would (or could) manuever a carriage up and down. Also the only way up to Fira is by cable car or donkey. Obviously, you would have to take a cable car which you have to hop on in a hurry...to scary for me with a 3 yr old....IMHO.

Archived