Underwater Cameras

hillorama

My husband and I are getting ready to leave on a cruise to the South Pacific on the Paul Gaugin, but I recall seeing pictures on this board of underwater cameras that look just like regular digital cameras. I would like to know which cameras they are, and how well they take land pictures.

Would we have to take two cameras? When we were in Grand Cayman there was a man in the water with a camera, and people were telling him to be careful of it, and he was saying, no it was a waterproof camera. I swear it was small and just looked amazing.

Elena:)

My husband and I are getting ready to leave on a cruise to the South Pacific on the Paul Gaugin, but I recall seeing pictures on this board of underwater cameras that look just like regular digital cameras. I would like to know which cameras they are, and how well they take land pictures.

Would we have to take two cameras? When we were in Grand Cayman there was a man in the water with a camera, and people were telling him to be careful of it, and he was saying, no it was a waterproof camera. I swear it was small and just looked amazing.

Elena:)

Here are two reviews to look thru. If you don't want the gory details just skip to the end of the review.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FIS/FITSA1.HTM

I got a lot of help on this subject on the Photo Discussion board. You can go to it through the drop down box at the bottom of the page or use this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=118

I ended up buying a Canon Powershot A570 and a Canon waterproof housing for it. This works well, plus I can use it for shots on land just as easily. Check out the Photo Discussion board for lots of input on this. :)

Alot of people will probably say Ill look retarded, but I purchased a Liquid Image Digital Camera Mask.

Its basically a snorkling mask with a 5 mp camera attached to it, which allows you to record pictures and video to a memory card.

I got it on ebay for about 50 bucks brand new. The reason why I got this one was becuse my wife already had one for taking stils out of the water, and I wanted one that was hands free while I was swimming around and snorkling.

http://www.liquidimageco.com/

Check it out if you want.

Thanks OP I have the same interest.

Our camera was just stolen and we need to replace it. We want one that will take good all around photos and would rarely use it underwater. It would be fun to take some snorkel pictures on our cruise. I was wondering if underwater cameras take as good of land photos as the standard digital cameras.

Do most people have a second regular camera for their normal use?

I got a refurb Olympus 850SW on ebay (directly FROM Olympus...they sell their refurbs there) for $100. It comes with a 3 month warranty (which they honored, without question, when I got a crack in the LCD screen on mine...as it's also "shockproof"). I had it back in my hands in under 2 weeks. I also bought an extended warranty through Square Trade (online).

Anyway, the camera is amazing. It takes better pictures than my Sony (although it doesn't have the zoom capabilities, so I still use both frequently).

In a nutshell, the camera itself has rave reviews (and they are well-deserved...check out amazon.com for user reviews). And the Olympus seller on ebay is reputable (I think it's just "olympusauctions"). And I can't recommend it highly enough.

I'm so looking forward to some DECENT underwater pics this trip, rather than the grainy, washed out ones that the disposables produce.

Hope that helps!

Based on good reviews and some fantastic pictures right here on this board, we chose the Canon Powershot D10. It just arrived (best price was Amazon) so I haven't had a chance to give it a go yet. It's waterproof to 30 feet, so for diving I guess we can buy it a housing.

Based on good reviews and some fantastic pictures right here on this board, we chose the Canon Powershot D10. It just arrived (best price was Amazon) so I haven't had a chance to give it a go yet. It's waterproof to 30 feet, so for diving I guess we can buy it a housing.

Excellent choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We didn't want to spend a lot of money on an underwater camera. We just spent about 300 on a regular digital camera and couldn't justify buying another digital camera for about that much or even slightly less, which is what the going rate for a new waterproof camera costs. Plus, we'd be nervous to bring such an expensive piece into the water.

But we wanted something better than 35mm.

So we opted for the 5mp VuPoint. I think we spent $30 including shipping on Ebay. We have a 1gb memory card for it, which is more than enough. We're not professionals, so this works well enough. It can take pictures out of the water as well, but I think I will be using it solely for the purpose of underwater picture taking.

Here are two pics I took while testing the camera out, here in FL at a freshwater spring. The first pic is my hubby, and it is distorted because I moved the camera while taking the pic (but note the color). The 2nd pic is a "vent" where the spring water comes out of - it's taken at about 8 feet deep. I think the camera can go as deep as 30 feet, maybe even more? Not sure....

2009_0809004.jpg

Taken about 8 feet down, picture of the vent that fresh spring-water comes out of (here in FL):

2009_0809007.jpg

Anyway, I think this camera is ideal for someone who is just going on vacation and wants a few underwater pics but wants a better quality than 35mm, but not for an extraneous price. Hope this helps someone!

My first Olympus was the 1030SW. Loved that camera until it sprung a leak in the battery compartment despite it being closed. My SquareTrade warranty gave me a refund (it was refurbished), so I took that and applied it to the Tough 8000, basically the newer version of the 1030. Seems a bit slower on the shutter speed than the 1030, but it takes good pictures, and I love the tap controls, makes it so much easier to use underwater!

We use two Olympus 850's for work. They are about 2 years old now and have been totally trouble free. They've been dropped, rained on, fallen in a mud filled ditch and used in the pool and both are still working great. The biggest draw back is the batteries. The OEM batteries are only good for about 250 shots. I purchased six batteries on e-bay for $5 apiece. They are not as good as OEM but do last about 150 shots. Otherwise, they work perfect. For the price of an OEM battery you can get about 10 of the cheap ones and they will work fine. Just be sure that whenever you open a cover, that you make sure that the rubber gasket is clean and free of dirt and debris before closing it and you will have no trouble with it at all. They recommend cleaning the camera in a pail of clean water or under a running faucet by turning the camera on and off repeatedly to flush out any dirt and crud from the lens cover. They take okay photos. Not as good as DSLR, but way acceptable. If you get the genuine Olympus xD card (other brands of xD can't do this) you can take panoramic shots and it will stitch the shots in camera for you. Cool feature that we never use.

If you get the genuine Olympus xD card (other brands of xD can't do this) you can take panoramic shots and it will stitch the shots in camera for you. Cool feature that we never use.

I use an 8GB microSCHC card in my camera, and I'm able to do the panoramic shots, also. Rarely use it, but it's fun to play with sometimes!

One thing I did find curious about my new Canon is that it only comes with a little wrist strap, and it doesn't float. :eek: I ponied up for the overpriced accessory kit that includes two different straps to attach it to yourself with, and separately ordered a floating wrist strap for it. I would be horrified to be snorkeling in deep water and drop it!

You can get a Canon A570IS (7MP) on ebay for about $80, then get the matching underwater housing (Canon Model# WP-DC12) for about $180. After that, look up CHDK (Canon Hack Development Kit). It's an add-on program that installs to your SD memory card, so it doesn't change the firmware, but it gives your camera much greater functionality.

IMG_0428.jpg.24a70e396c5d67cffc8a6370c0ad6b97.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg.cd9c1c2a2a4f07c86d642a17080a3c1c.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg.e660fc09f46e91c1c6603f2bb48c6337.jpg

We purchased an Olympus 850sw "bundle" for about $150 at sams club. Came with the 850SW (love the camera!!) a floating wrist strap, a case, and coupons for 125 digital prints at Sams Club. After alot of research we found the 850 to be just what we were looking for, a nice camera that is waterproof and shockproof and under $200. The Canon takes great pics but just couldn't see buying another $300-$400 camera.

go to flickr.com and search for 850sw to see pics taken

Depends what you want to use the UW camera for. If snorkeling any of the above are fine. You lose color underwater. Red goes away at 15 feet under water and the others follow quickly, so if you will be diving (even resort course) you may be dissapointed with the pictures because they will have very little color, mostly blue. Most UW cameras can come out of their housing for land use. or their are disposable UW cameras good to about 15 feet.

Depends what you want to use the UW camera for. If snorkeling any of the above are fine. You lose color underwater. Red goes away at 15 feet under water and the others follow quickly, so if you will be diving (even resort course) you may be dissapointed with the pictures because they will have very little color, mostly blue. Most UW cameras can come out of their housing for land use. or their are disposable UW cameras good to about 15 feet.

OT. I just noticed you live in Drexel Hill. I used to live in Upper Darby. Lived in Aldan and W. Chester for a while. My parents still live in Newtown Sq. Trying to plan a cruise up I-95 to see them later this year. :)

Archived