Southampton port, best airport?

Partyatsea

I'd agree with mypleasure that Heathrow would be the best airport if you are driving, but you need to take the M3 rather than M4. If you are getting the train then Gatwick may be the best option as there are direct trains from the airport to Southampton station.

I'd agree with mypleasure that Heathrow would be the best airport if you are driving, but you need to take the M3 rather than M4. If you are getting the train then Gatwick may be the best option as there are direct trains from the airport to Southampton station.

Going to Wales next week to visit my sister and have the M4 on the brain!

There are frequent non stop buses from Heathrow from Southampton .(1.5 to 2 hrs) http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Gatwick has non stop trains on weekdays (but non weekends) - 2 hrs. If there are 5 to 7 passengers private transfer may be more economical. We took one from Gatwick this August; driver was on time & it took 2 hrs door to door. There were 7 of us in an 8 seater VW passenger van; price was 120 gbp.

There are frequent non stop buses from Heathrow from Southampton .(1.5 to 2 hrs) http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Gatwick has non stop trains on weekdays (but non weekends) - 2 hrs. If there are 5 to 7 passengers private transfer may be more economical. We took one from Gatwick this August; driver was on time & it took 2 hrs door to door. There were 7 of us in an 8 seater VW passenger van; price was 120 gbp.

From Gatwick you can get a day pass on Southern RR 10 GBP for 1 passenger or 20 GBP for up to four passengers. Kids under 12 1 GBP. The van sounds like a great option but not the most economical. Good on weekends and after 10:00 AM weekdays. Direct train takes just under 2 hours. Same service on Saturday. None on Sunday without making a change.

http://www.southernrailwaytickets.com/main.php?page_id=189

We are cruising from Southampton, I was wondering what the best airport is to fly in to. We are looking for convienence, not sightseeing.
Don't forget that convenience is made up of many bits, and the ease of the transfer from airport is only one of them. The availability and frequency of flights to the airport, and the feasibility and practicality of any connections, is also important.

On that basis, most passengers will find that Heathrow is most convenient for Southampton. It's no more difficult to get there from Heathrow than from the other major long-haul airport (Gatwick), but it has a much greater variety of flights from which to choose. But there will be some North American starting points which offer better choices of itineraries to Gatwick than to Heathrow.

Southampton airport is a hands-down winner for proximity to the port. But there are few decent connections for North American passengers.

You'll find more discussion about this on the British Isles and Cruise Air forums.

sorry, I'm cruising the boards as I just booked the Epic and need details!

We sailed out of Southampton a couple of years ago and Heathrow was very easy access. Also, pooled with others on our board and got a car transfer service which was awesome. Have done the same for the Baltics next summer when we sail out of Harwich, got an awesome price for round trip transfer from Heathrow to Harwich and back from Adelphia Executive Hire and Darren was so immediately responsive!

Good luck!

Archived