YVR to Canada Place Questions

dsneymom

Is it worth the $$ to purchase a transfer from HAL to get to Canada Place from YVR? I've heard it's $14 pp and you avoid going through Customs (we're from San Fran). Does it save you time or does it put you in a long line waiting for the transfer? We are sailing on the Zaandam next Sunday and that is the only ship scheduled to depart from Canada Place that day. Any thoughts?

Is it worth the $$ to purchase a transfer from HAL to get to Canada Place from YVR? I've heard it's $14 pp and you avoid going through Customs (we're from San Fran). Does it save you time or does it put you in a long line waiting for the transfer? We are sailing on the Zaandam next Sunday and that is the only ship scheduled to depart from Canada Place that day. Any thoughts?

If the transfer from HAL really is $14, yes take it. More likely it's in the $35 range. The easiest way of getting from YVR to Canada Place is take the new subway.

This thread explains all http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1044929

but in a nutshell, it's $3.75 and takes you from the airport to 2 blocks from the cruise terminal, faster than a taxi could.

With only one ship in town, I can't see the lineups being long.

You will likely find that this transfer involves the US Direct Progam which works very well if your airline is a participant. I would double check on the price of it though. They had a little trouble getting the US Direct Program up and going this year and it really didn't become fully operational until about July 1st.

The $3.75 mentioned in the above post for the Canada Line will increase to $6.25 pp early in 2010 as a convenience fee will then start being paid to the airport authority. Failing the HAL transfer and the Canada Line then your options are taxi at a cost of about $35 a limo at $39 plus 5% tax.

Here is a link to the US Direct Program for your convenience:

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/usdirectprocess.aspx

If the transfer from HAL really is $14, yes take it. More likely it's in the $35 range. The easiest way of getting from YVR to Canada Place is take the new subway.

This thread explains all http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1044929

but in a nutshell, it's $3.75 and takes you from the airport to 2 blocks from the cruise terminal, faster than a taxi could.

The new Canada Line from YVR to Canada Place is $2.50 on Weekends and evenings.

I'll be using it today to get to the Statendam.

We did a HAL transfer from YVR to Fairmont last week and it was TERRIBLE! We did not leave the airport for 30 minutes and the bus ride was a bumpy, twisting afair that almost threw us out of our seats. Never again will I ride this - I only did it since it was part of the package this time. EIther take the Skytrain or a taxi (or limo). We had a great taxi ride back to the airport - $35 plus tip in a nice car with a very pleasant driver.

DaveOKC

We just returned from HAL Alaska Inside Passage cruise 9/19-9/26. USDirect was not available when we arrived at Vancouver. We had to go through customs with everyone else, however, we did not need to pick up our bags - Holland America did it. Bags showed up on our stateroom about 6 pm that evening.

On return we had planned to participate in Signature Expresss (HALs program like USDirect but in reverse). Signature Express was not available. HAL took our bags from the ship to the airport. We had to claim them at airport and check them through ourselves.

Since it was the end of the season there weren't many people traveling when we were so it was pretty quick.

:)

No more cab rides to downtown and sitting in traffic! Thanks for posting the pictures. It looks like the Olympic facilities and improvements are coming on line.

Next up Seattle for light rail access from the airport to downtown!

What a pleasure. Took the new sky train Wed. Sept. 16th, no problem. Collected our luggage, went outside, crossed the street, up the escalator, money in the machine, train came, got on and away we went to Waterfront. We got off at Granville, but I think we would have been better off to go all the way to the end. We walked easily the 2 blocks but when we got to Canada Place, there was a station for Waterfront. Very confusing, but definitely the 100 paces someone posted about.

Anyway either exit it was a breeze. Would definitely take it again.

What a pleasure. Took the new sky train Wed. Sept. 16th, no problem. Collected our luggage, went outside, crossed the street, up the escalator, money in the machine, train came, got on and away we went to Waterfront. We got off at Granville, but I think we would have been better off to go all the way to the end. We walked easily the 2 blocks but when we got to Canada Place, there was a station for Waterfront. Very confusing, but definitely the 100 paces someone posted about.

That is too bad about getting off at Granville as yes you would have been better off to go all the way to Waterfront Station....next time.:)

Anyway either exit it was a breeze. Would definitely take it again.

Was this from the airport? In which case, the Waterfront Station has two exits (one on Granville @ W.Hastings, one in the Waterfront station complex). Either puts you 3 blocks from Canada Place. The Granville exit makes it a downhill, vs uphill walk....

If you came from the (Via/Amtrak) train station (Main St Station on the old Expo/Millenium Line), yes, "Granville" is a station, and pops you out 5 blocks from Canada Place (Granville & Dunsmuir).

Yes it was the airport. I don't know what you are talking about.

When we walked the 2 blocks down to Canada Place there was the other Waterfront station right in front of the place, clearly marked Waterfront.

When we were looking at the times listed on the "ticker tape" message board(inside the train) it clearly mentioned 2 waterfront stations. We should have gotten off on the second one. But it worked out ok. We didn't mind the walk and we were there in a flash.

Yes it was the airport. I don't know what you are talking about.

When we walked the 2 blocks down to Canada Place there was the other Waterfront station right in front of the place, clearly marked Waterfront.

When we were looking at the times listed on the "ticker tape" message board(inside the train) it clearly mentioned 2 waterfront stations. We should have gotten off on the second one. But it worked out ok. We didn't mind the walk and we were there in a flash.

There are 4 'waterfront' station exits,

• Two from Canada Line (from YVR): the Waterfront Station complex (two awkward blocks east of Canada Place), and the one on Granville @ W.Hastings that you used
  • Two from the Expo/Millenium Line (from Burnaby/New Westminster): the exits are into the Waterfront Station complex, and the one right next to Canada Place.that you saw.

Where you exited (Waterfront Station on the Canada Line - Granville exit) is your best bet from the airport going to Canada Place for a cruise

The exit you saw was from the other subway line. Yes you could have got there, but you would have had to exit into Waterfront station, up the escalator, down another escalator to the other platforms, along the full length of the platform and back up to get out at Canada Place.

• 3 months later...

Which exit would be best if we finish our cruise at Canada Place and need to make our way to the Vancouver airport? I have read some posts about the increase in price now, is that correct? Something like $8.50 per person now.

With the increase in price, are we better to still take the Skytrain or take a taxi from Canada Place to the airport?

Thanks

Angela

"Vancouver recently added a $5 surcharge if taking Canada line to the airport. With more than a few people I think a cab for $35 still seems easier."

That is not correct - you only pay the $5.00 if you are coming FROM the Airport to downtown - not the other way - there are also easy ways to get around the extra fee right at the airport - just find a merchant who sells transit tickets and buy your ticket from them.

Scottbee can it explain it better as he works at the airport.

Cheers

Dennis

Which exit would be best if we finish our cruise at Canada Place and need to make our way to the Vancouver airport? I have read some posts about the increase in price now, is that correct? Something like $8.50 per person now.

With the increase in price, are we better to still take the Skytrain or take a taxi from Canada Place to the airport?

The ride is $3.75 from downtown to the airport ($2.50 evenings and weekends), the surcharge is only going the other way. Exit Canada place, and walk one block ahead (slightly left and ahead). Ignore the "WATERFRONT STATION" escallator you'll see in front of you; it places you on the old Expo/Millenium line subway platform, not where you want to be. When you get to W.Cordova street, turn left, and two blocks on your left go into the big station. Follow the signs for "CANADA LINE/YVR AIRPORT" the escallators/elevators are on your left.

This map should help:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.28692,-123.11098&spn=0.005354,0.016512&z=17

Does anyone know of a car service from YVR to downtown? We are arriving late at night and need a private car. Thanks.

Vicki

There are limos outside the Arrivals area (across the road to the right). These are from the limo company mentioned by Urbantrekker. Not necessary to reserve.

Here's a link to the YVR site with a list of flat rate limo fares:

http://www.yvr.ca/en/getting-to-from-yvr/hired-sedans-limousines.aspx

Just a footnote, about 7% of Vancouvers cabs are mini-vans and we have never had a problem getting one. All you need to do is ask the starter at YVR for one and then you step aside until one is avalable. The cost is the same as a regular cab, about $35.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived