Eurodam vs Westerdam for Caribbean?

GadgetNeil

My first ever cruise was this past summer on Zuiderdam, to Alaska. I loved it, and I'd like to stick with HAL. I was looking at eastern caribbean itineraries for this coming february, and there are very similar cruises available on the Westerdam and Eurodam.

Could anyone comment on the pros and cons of each of these ships?

thanks,

Neil

Never been on the Eurodam but we are taking our 3rd cruise on the Westerdam the end of January to the Caribbean. We really like the Westerdam, the crew is always there for you and the ship is nice. I'm sure someone will give you more opinions. Barb:)

This question comes up very frequently, since the itineraries are so similar. If you do an Advanced Search for Eurodam Westerdam in thread titles you will find more than a dozen.

Most of the posters tend to agree that the primary advantages of the Eurodam are the Tamarind and Silk Den, and a new-ship look, while the primary disadvantages are that the E is more crowded. It has 200 more passengers in basically the same public space, and with cabanas taking up about 1/4 of the space around the Lido pool, and reduced aisles in the Lido it is noticeably is more cramped there.

One good thread was entitled something like "Would you book the Eurodam again?", but due to Search not working right I can't find that for you. You might try looking down several pages for a title like that.

I would book the Eurodam again if the price and dates were preferable, but otherwise I would choose the Westerdam again ... and miss going to the Tamarind. :(

EDIT: FOUND IT! See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1045871

I've only cruised on the W'dam and I loved it but I think the Eurodam offers Puerto Rico which the W'dam did not so I'd love to try the newer ship.

We are booked once more on the Westerdam in February 7-21st a B2B and we are doing Puerto Rico. That was a must for us as we have friends that live there and will be visiting with them while in port.

I chose the Westerdam over any other cruise ships with HAL because we loved the itinerary and the ship itself (we were on her when we booked.)

Joanie

We have booked the Eurodam, because it is going to Pureto Rico. Have been on the Westerdam twice before, love it.

We don't use the pool area on any ship except when everyone or most folks are off the ship, those this would not be an issue for us.

Not in to asian food either so that was not a draw to the Eurodam, like to check out new ships.

I've only cruised on the W'dam and I loved it but I think the Eurodam offers Puerto Rico which the W'dam did not so I'd love to try the newer ship.

The only month I have checked is November 09, but the Westerdam goes to San Juan on the Nov. and 22nd cruises. It looks to me the 2 ships offer almost the same itineraries-the Westerdam just alternate weeks on her itineraries.

One week is San Juan and St. Marten-the next week is Curacao and Aruba on the Westerdam. Eurodam does San Juan and St. Thomas every week in November 09.

We have booked the Eurodam, because it is going to Pureto Rico. Have been on the Westerdam twice before, love it.

We don't use the pool area on any ship except when everyone or most folks are off the ship, those this would not be an issue for us.

Not in to asian food either so that was not a draw to the Eurodam, like to check out new ships.

Nov. 1 and 22, 09 cruises, the Westerdam goes to San Juan.

Thanks for all the input.

The 2 itineraries are almost the same, except the Westerdam goes to St. Martin, and the Eurodam to St. Thomas. We've always wanted to see St. Martin, so that alone would lean me to the Westerdam. Also, a priority for me is lack of crowds, lines, etc - so if that's the main difference, then I'll definitely prefer the Westerdam.

I was very happy, when we did Alaska with the Zuiderdam, that there was almost never a line up for anything (or just short, very manageable lines). The Lido did get quite busy, but never with lines that took more than a few minutes. Besides, we ended up eating almost all our meals in the dining room anyway - at dinner, we had a lot of fun with our tablemates (we were placed at a table for 8), and I liked the attentive service, selection, and food quality at all 3 meals. (we also did Pinnacle grill one night)

One other question: given that it won't be hurricane season, is it fair to expect smooth sailing? Has anyone had rough seas in a february caribbean cruise? With Alaska, on an inside passage, we were in protected waterways most of it - but when we had some rougher patches I didn't like it, so I wanted to know what to expect in the Caribbean.

Thanks for all the quick replies - cruise critic is great! I love that so many people who are knowledgable and passionate about cruising are willing to help out others with advice and information. :)

The only month I have checked is November 09, but the Westerdam goes to San Juan on the Nov. and 22nd cruises. It looks to me the 2 ships offer almost the same itineraries-the Westerdam just alternate weeks on her itineraries.

One week is San Juan and St. Marten-the next week is Curacao and Aruba on the Westerdam. Eurodam does San Juan and St. Thomas every week in November 09.

This should have said Nov. 1 and 22 cruises. Also Dec.13,2009 Westerdam goes to San Juan.

Thanks for all the input.

The 2 itineraries are almost the same, except the Westerdam goes to St. Martin, and the Eurodam to St. Thomas. We've always wanted to see St. Martin, so that alone would lean me to the Westerdam. Also, a priority for me is lack of crowds, lines, etc - so if that's the main difference, then I'll definitely prefer the Westerdam.

I was very happy, when we did Alaska with the Zuiderdam, that there was almost never a line up for anything (or just short, very manageable lines). The Lido did get quite busy, but never with lines that took more than a few minutes. Besides, we ended up eating almost all our meals in the dining room anyway - at dinner, we had a lot of fun with our tablemates (we were placed at a table for 8), and I liked the attentive service, selection, and food quality at all 3 meals. (we also did Pinnacle grill one night)

One other question: given that it won't be hurricane season, is it fair to expect smooth sailing? Has anyone had rough seas in a february caribbean cruise? With Alaska, on an inside passage, we were in protected waterways most of it - but when we had some rougher patches I didn't like it, so I wanted to know what to expect in the Caribbean.

Thanks for all the quick replies - cruise critic is great! I love that so many people who are knowledgable and passionate about cruising are willing to help out others with advice and information. :)

Glad to have been of help GadgetNeil!! What dates are you looking at for going? I think I remember something about February? If so some dates... Feb 7 is Super Bowl Sunday in Miami, HAL is putting us in a hotel in West Palm Beach, some 60 miles away (no hotels in FLL or Miami Area), Feb 21st is Official start of Presidents Week and College Spring Break.

If you are planning on the 7th or the 14th Sailings, we have roll calls set up over on the Roll Call Boards. Also on the 14th sailing we are planning a Meet and Greet for CC'rs.

Joanie

Thanks for the info Joanie.

If we went, it would probably be the Feb. 7th sailing. But my parents live near Boca Raton, so pre and post cruise accommodations are taken care of! :D

Great to hear that. That makes for one less problem to worry about.

Since we are on B2b starting the 7th, I have a Meet & Greet I am setting up for the 2nd week. Would you be interested in one for the week of the 7th?? I can easily set that up also.

Joanie

The Westerdam is a newer and nicer version of the Zuiderdam. Both are "Vista" Class ships. The Eurodam--which I have never been on--is a bit bigger. If you liked the Zuiderdam you will like the Westerdam even more!

And to finish your quote...Eurodam is a newer and nicer version of Westerdam.

It does hold a few more passengers, but we did not notice any more "crowds" on Eurodam than on Westerdam. Both are wonderful ships and the addition of the additional food choices on Eurodam is very nice. If that doesn't matter to you, then chose by itinerary.

If you want to see pics of either, please let me know and I'll be glad to share for comparison if you'd like.

One good thread was entitled something like "Would you book the Eurodam again?", but due to Search not working right I can't find that for you. You might try looking down several pages for a title like that.

I would book the Eurodam again if the price and dates were preferable, but otherwise I would choose the Westerdam again ... and miss going to the Tamarind. :(

EDIT: FOUND IT! See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1045871

Thanks for the link!

Archived