Using AC power in Rome Hotels

Packman1000

I've been doing some research on how to use American appliances in European hotels. I understand I will need a plug adaptor. However, today I think I found that in order for my wife to use a curling iron, we would also need a power converter (from 220v to 110v). The adaptor is a pretty cheap, small item, but the converter seems a bit more expensive and larger. Do hotels have them for guests to use? Is there any alternative to buying one of these and hauling it to Europe, just to use it once or twice while we stay in a Rome hotel?

Since you in Denver I would check out Walmart, Target, or maybe even Kmart. You should be able to find a converter with all the universal plugs such as Europe, Eastern Europe, South America, Austrialia. This probably won't cost you much more than twenty dollars. More important the wife will be really happy with you. Been there done that. Tim

Before you buy a converter, check your wife's curling iron. If it's relatively new, it might be dual voltage (many new appliances are, even if you're not aware of it). If there isn't an obvious switch (from 110 to 220), take a look at the UL Listing box -- it should either be in a rectangle embossed on the handle or on an attached tag. If there is a range of voltage listed (mine says 120-240V), then you do not need a converter. Otherwise, you do need one. The choice is yours whether you buy a converter or just purchase a new dual-voltage curling iron, which probably costs about the same.

One warning: when your wife uses the curling iron, she might want to use it at a lower heat setting than she would normally use at home. I've blown out a few curling irons while traveling because they get too hot on the different voltage.

Tim, I'll take another look, but I think all I saw at Target was a package of plug adaptors, not a converter. It was something like $10. I saw a converter at another store, but it was $40. I'll keep looking.

Cynthia, I did look at the DW's curling iron and unfortunately it is 120v only. I suppose we can look for a new one that has dual voltage. I appreciate the warning about blowing out the curling iron.

It just seems like with most customer's in Rome hotel's from other countries, they would be able to make some money renting a universal converter for $5/day. I would have to think a lot of first time visitor's would have no idea about something like this prior to the trip.

Dave

Tim, I'll take another look, but I think all I saw at Target was a package of plug adaptors, not a converter. It was something like $10. I saw a converter at another store, but it was $40. I'll keep looking.

Cynthia, I did look at the DW's curling iron and unfortunately it is 120v only. I suppose we can look for a new one that has dual voltage. I appreciate the warning about blowing out the curling iron.

It just seems like with most customer's in Rome hotel's from other countries, they would be able to make some money renting a universal converter for $5/day. I would have to think a lot of first time visitor's would have no idea about something like this prior to the trip.

Dave

When we traveled in Europe many years ago (pre-kids), we always were able to borrow a converter during our hotel stays gratis. But now that so many items are dual voltage, I think it would be very rare to find a hotel that can supply them.

I certainly would check if your Rome hotel can supply you with one, or else perhaps settle for only the supplied hair dryer and forget the curling iron while in Rome! Perhaps your visit will be during the humid season and she will not really need one? :D

I would not go to all this trouble for a curling iron in Rome..not curling her hair for a couple of days will save time,and then she can get one of the really pretty scarf's the ladies wear there to tie back her hair...just MHO:D:D:D

I've been doing some research on how to use American appliances in European hotels. I understand I will need a plug adaptor. However, today I think I found that in order for my wife to use a curling iron, we would also need a power converter (from 220v to 110v). The adaptor is a pretty cheap, small item, but the converter seems a bit more expensive and larger. Do hotels have them for guests to use? Is there any alternative to buying one of these and hauling it to Europe, just to use it once or twice while we stay in a Rome hotel?

Yes well at least in our experience hotels have adaptors for their American and Australian guests. When you arrive ask the front desk if they have any available and if not you can always purchase a cheap one locally if necessary.

It's too bad them liitle outlets in the hotel rooms aren't bigger 'cause if my DW could just get her finger in one of 'em she could get her hair curled that way. :D:D

Thanks for all of the help. Ron, the web site is great. I have an email for our hotel and I'll send a note asking if they have a converter. If not, I think hair curling will take a short vacation, at the same time we do!

It's too bad them liitle outlets in the hotel rooms aren't bigger 'cause if my DW could just get her finger in one of 'em she could get her hair curled that way. :D:D

Thanks for all of the help. Ron, the web site is great. I have an email for our hotel and I'll send a note asking if they have a converter. If not, I think hair curling will take a short vacation, at the same time we do!

DW has a Belson travel curling iron. It's dual voltage and folds up nice and compact. She's used it in Italy without a problem. Cost less than a voltage converter and lighter too.

You might want to alo consider asking the hotel;odds are you are not the first American to walk through the front door with this issue. My wife and I have traveled throughout 10 European countries and I have never encountered a problem as the various hotels have always come through. Yes, she has a curling iron and a hair dryer...

RWW

Dave

But Dave, you need to remember that most of those "customers from other countries" come from countries where the voltage is the same as Italy - or all their gadgets are multi-voltage. It's mainly people from North America who are lagging behind the rest of the planet. Even in a backward place like China (with 220v), every electrical appliance we buy is multi-voltage.

I always travel with a convertor for the hair dryer and curling iron ... but it didn't cost very much!! And, be careful ... the power convertor needed for those high-watt devices is different from what you need to operate more delicate electronic equipment.

But the thing that I was very happy to discover is that virtually all of the "charging devices" for "cameras, computers, iPods, etc" are dual voltage and automatically adjust. All you need is the plug adaptor and you're in business. Just look at the small print on the charger and you should see something like "110-220 volts, 50-60 cycle"

packman,

Try this site

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Line-0900-27-Global-Travel/dp/B000QE28O6/ref=sr_1_2/184-7148232-2359025?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1254574977&sr=8-2

It has the converter and adaptor plug in one small kit. I've used mine since 1987 when I first started traveling and it is still going strong.

The only time it didn't work, was in Australia for my video camera recharger, the lights lit, but it didn't take the charge.

But for hair dryer, curling iron, shaver, etc, works like a charm.

Thanks, gotta go check my camera battery and also my cell phone. The cell is a World Phone which came with 3 plugs for the different areas which I assume means all I have to do is plug that in and it will charge. From what I am reading, I guess my camera battery (Sony Ion) would probably work without a converter also? When I am on vacation, things like curling irons go by the wayside!!

You will find that these appliance are very cheap in europe,why not buy new ones and throw them away when you leave,was looking in our local supermarket curling tongs £5 and straightners about same price,will also save on luggage weight just a thought :):):)

You will find that these appliance are very cheap in europe,why not buy new ones and throw them away when you leave?

Or better yet, buy them in Europe and bring them home for future use, as my wife and I have done for nearly 40 years. I have some 220/230 V night lights that I've been carrying around for years to help me find the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Archived