BA Baggage Allowances

CuriousCruiser66

We are just back from an 18 night cruise on the Crown - flew back from New York with BA. We had to take a mixture of clothes as it was a Transatlantic via Iceland and Greenland so had to pack some warmer clothing. We were still allowed 2 bags each but only checked in 3 between the 2 of us. The smaller of the 3 cases could have been taken on as cabin baggage but as we were allowed 3 we decided to put it in the hold instead of lugging it around. The 3 bags only came to 46kg and that include DH's tux. As I do after each cruise I vowed to cut back on the clothes we took next time - never seems to happen. Hopefully you'll manage with some clever mixing and matching of clothes!!!

Well that really sucks. How come they reduced the weight. I thought BA was supposed to be a better type of airline like Qantas.

We are going to US for a month in Feb. I would die if I could only take 1 bag at 23 kg. We can take 2 at 32kg. We will be going this time with V Australia.

Just thought i'd mention that V Australia economy class is 2 weighing a combined maximum of 32kg. Premium economy & business is still 2 at 32kg.

Qantas economy is now 2 at 23kg, no longer 2 at 32kg. (Business & first is still 2 at 32kg).

We have been dealing with this in the states for about 2 years now with 1 bag no more than 50 pounds and paying $15 average for that. This is why the ships are starting to loosen up their formal nights. There are only a couple of airlines that allow 1 bag to go free now but still a weight limit of 50 pounds unless you want to pull out your wallet.

Hey chill out and enjoy your cruise and your anniversary after all you have paid for the cruise what is £40.00 each way for to save the worry , we have just paid £188.00 to have 1 case 30 kg taken by courier to / from Rome for our cruise next week , yes its a lot of money but so what you cant take it with you and why ruin your cruise for a few bob extra

Checked our paperwork last night for our cruise on the 22nd Nov 09 flying with BA to Miami from Heathrow and returning from LA to Heathrow, flight was booked as part of the cruise with Princess so it's part of a block booking I presume by princess. Anyway it states my baggage allowance is 2 cases each at 23kg. Hopefully it won't change, but it won't be a problem if it does, has we managed with one case each at 23Kg in January for two weeks round the Carribean on the Sea Princess.

We fly to Newark on Saturday from Glasgow with Continental Airlines and we have also received notification of luggage changes.We are on New York to Quebec on Crown Princess.Going out we can take 2 cases each up to 23kg for free.Coming back 1st case will be $20 then 2nd case $30.

From being quite relaxed about 2 x cases for free i'm now panicking!

Makes transatlantic cruising more appealing!:)

This is no surprise to us who travel often in the US and beyond--just feel lucky when the first bag is free--I would also pay a few bucks for an aisle seat--can't handle that middle seat or window seat for that matter.

Guess we could all stay home--since that's not happening we'll just go with the flow.

Nancy:D:D

Newport Dave .... how about this? according to the people who our flights are booked through we can take 23kgs x 2 pp in November .... Hand luggage 6kgs !! .... BA over the phone say Hand luggage 23kgs ? despite no weight being shown on their website .... Left hand / Right hand ? comes to mind ..... :eek:

Just to add to the debate. We have just received our flight documentation for our flight later this month to Quebec on the 23rd October, returning from Miami on the 7th November. It clearly states one bag per person at 23kg. The cruise was booked last year.

Sonic.

Hi soinic,

do you mean Princess paper work, your actual flight stuff will say two bags.

we fly same day.

what route are you taking.

we go via Ottawa so far we are the only ones from our cruise

doing this route.

yours Shogun

One free checked bag sounds good to me. I survived with one large checked bag and 2 carry-ons for a 3-week Europe trip, and that included a 2-week Transatlantic cruise. I wore the same black dress for all 3 formal nights, and wore other clothes more than once.

I agree with Nancyil we have2 Delsey suitcases and i find that if we are doing a week in Greece or a month in OZ/Asia we still take the same two cases and over the years find we take less, on board there are always laundrettes, who cares if you wear the same outfit for formal night, anytime dining makes this even easier, no one is going to notice if you have the same shoes on. If we go for a week in Europe we can manage with just carry on, I honestly think you will always take the maximum allowed. Just relax and enjoy.

Sue

We are flying out from Heathrow on 7th February with Virgin and have checked the baggage allowance. Still 2 bags @ 23kgs each. Hope you manage to persuade them to give you the extra allowance!

Fiona & Craig

Hi Shogun,

We’re flying outbound with Continental Heathrow via Newark to Quebec, there are 35 Princess passengers on this flight.

Return with BA Miami direct to Heathrow.

The only paperwork we have is from Princess.

Regards,

Sonic.

OMG !! What on earth do British airways think they are doing ?? ....... We are booked onto the 08th Feb 2010 Ruby Princess to the southern carribean to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary and really cannot wait, we're both soooo excited :D

UNFORTUNATELY Panic time is here as we have just recieved our flight confirmations and are booked onto a BA flight from Heathrow to Miami........... baggage allowance of 1 bag ber person up to 23 Kilos :eek::eek: HELLLPPPPPPP !!!!!

As of 07th October 2009 they have altered their baggage allowances from 2 bags per person to just 1 ( this is for checked baggage)

You mays still take a second bag but they are now charging £40 each way for this EXTORTIONATE !!

Ok if this was a land based resort holiday then maybe its possible but for a 10 day cruise with formal wear required for 2 formal nights this is just rediculous.

Please help as I need MAJOR advice on how to pack everything we need for this cruise into just 1 x 23 kilo bag each.

All replies will be read eagerly as I really am panicking :(

Thanks

Why not pay for 1 extra bag between you?

I still believe that if the flight was booked before 7th October you can check in two pieces of luggage. But as for the pre-booking seats, which you could do after 7th October - I phoned BA today, and they told me that as the flight was booked by Princess, I could not pre-book seats until Princess has issued the tickets. I then phoned Princess UK, who told me that they only issue tickets about 4 weeks before the flight (our flight to LA is on 20th November). I therefore do not have the opportunity to choose (and pay for) the best seats until then. Princess are arguing this point with BA, and told me that they will in future try to avoid BA for their flights!

Joy .... we both know that the left hand does not know what the Right hand is doing with regards to BA ! ..... our flight is 12th November to Miami ...our TA told us we will get our Tickets 2 weeks before! having spoken to them about the 1 bag or 2 bags dance they contacted the place they booked the flights with who replied that we can take 2 x 23kgs but hand luggage was 6kgs!! .... seems that even the TA and the Flight people are unaware of the Hand luggage weight of 23kgs ...:eek:

Just thought i'd mention that V Australia economy class is 2 weighing a combined maximum of 32kg. Premium economy & business is still 2 at 32kg.

Qantas economy is now 2 at 23kg, no longer 2 at 32kg. (Business & first is still 2 at 32kg).

Yeah, I knew that. I wrote it very ambiguously didn't I - Sorry about that :D I am an overpacker, but I never usually go over 20kg so I am taking 1 bag over and buying a small cheap bag over there to bring back all the contraband (we have to fly on delta from LA to Fort Lauderdale but we return from LA - so we have to watch the weight for delta.)

Archived