Anyone ever ask for different dinner appetizers?

Does he eat cheese??? There's a cheese plate option on the dessert menu, but DH loves cheese as his appetizer and with his salad, so on the first night we ask if he can order it and after that it's always waiting for us when we get to the table each night. I have not seen any appetizer like cheese sticks or chicken wings on the reg menu... but I've never looked at the kiddie menu and do know they have fab chicken wings on the room service menu, so it may be available.

My hubby won't eat veggies either, he gets his cucumbers from pickles & tomatoes from ketchup.:D

He will eat potatoes and corn on the cob. He hsd never had a problem finding something on the ship to eat. We have also ordered escargot on nights when it wasn't on the menu without a problem.

YUM! If not for a cruise, I never would have tried escargot! Now I so look forward to that night. Never thought of ordering it on other nights!!!!

I don't see anything wrong with just eating bread, if that's what he prefers. If he prefers the WJ, then why not do both? You can sit with him while he eats in the WJ...and he can sit with you nibbling on bread, while you enjoy your dinner.

You can always ask. One night on our last cruise last June aboard the FOS we were given the dessert menu. When the waiter came around asking what we will have, I said I don't want anything. He said no desert? I said you do not have any chocolate on here. So then he said, would like like a hot fudge brownie sundae? I said sure. They brought it to me. I was delicious. The next evening my dh did not like the desserts on the dessert menu so he asked if he could order a brownie sundae. They said yes.

Here's another option. Contact Special Needs and ask for a bland diet. Perhaps someone on these boards can give you some insight into what is offered with this option. At least he'd be able to choose some plain, basic options. I've found the Special Needs department to be very helpful!

Good luck.

Iceberg lettuce wedge, cheese annd crackers, shrimp cocktail, soup, kids menu has grilled cheese sandwich. I am also a very picky eater, but there are ways to work around it and find things you like. I usaually end up ordering the steak most evenings, with a baked potato. :D I don't feel any need to experiment with new foods. :)

I have a standing order of a cheese plate for an apatizer and if there is another thing I like on menu that night I might order it in addition to the cheese plate.

Great tip! :)

Looking over the menus, I didn't find any appetizers I'd want on a few of the nights. Figured I'd just eat whatever rolls/bread they served. Now both my DD (also loves cheese) and I have another choice.

I would agree with the previous poster in that a cruise is the perfect opportunity to try things he wouldn't otherwise try - free. There are so many options of apppetizers, soups, and salads. Enjoy yourself and encourage him to try things.

If the only things your husband will eat are fried foods, I'd be worried about more than just not enjoying dinner. Don't get me wrong, fry anything and it's great, but if that's the only way you'll eat, make sure your life insurance is current!

I'd tend to agree; with a selective list such as that (fried foods), there are probably more things to be concerned with rather than being accommodating at meal time.

I'm not particularly sure I'd opt for the WJ over the MDR because my party was picky. Let him choose something from the children's menu, inform the wait staff about preferences or have him eat something before heading to dinner.

I also agree with the other posters about having him at least try something off the appetizer menu. It's free...he can turn his nose up after he at least tries it without any cost to you.

No disrespect, but I think he should at least be the gentleman and let you enjoy the MDR over the WJ. No grumbling while eating the bread (if he chooses that only) allowed - put on a smile and discuss all the fun you two had in port that day.

These boards are hilarious. Some people actually have something productive to say, while others have nothing better to do then be a wise a**!

You have just summed up Cruise Critic very nicely! lol:p You have a very good sense of humor, it seems, and I'd love to be on a ship with you and your picky hubby!:D

By the way, I don't put milk on my cereal, don't use mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese, syrup on pancakes.....and I live with a very accomplished chef!:eek: Can you guess who the frustrated one is when we go out? I will say, though, that I have tried SO much in the 6 years we've been together but it wasn't easy!

I got sick on our Explorer of the Seas cruise this past August (no fault of the cruise line.....don't go there!) and we used room service a great deal. It was really great service and the offerings were more in line with State side fast food. If the offerings at dinner are not enough for your DH you could order a little something before or after dinner....or both. :D

You have just summed up Cruise Critic very nicely! lol:p You have a very good sense of humor, it seems, and I'd love to be on a ship with you and your picky hubby!:D

By the way, I don't put milk on my cereal, don't use mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese, syrup on pancakes.....and I live with a very accomplished chef!:eek: Can you guess who the frustrated one is when we go out? I will say, though, that I have tried SO much in the 6 years we've been together but it wasn't easy!

Thanks luckyprincess, you see where I'm coming from. Besides the milk, ketchup, and syrup you guys have everything else in common. Tomorrow 10/5 is actually our 15th anniversary and I made sure to pick a place for dinner where I can enjoy some crab legs and he can have his steak. :)

To OP, I believe you said your dh usually likes the entrees-did you know he can order an entree sans vegetables for an appetizer, and then a different full entree. My dh has done this, not because he is a picky eater, but rather sometimes there is both a fish and a beef entree that he would like to try. Our waiters have always been accommodating with any request.

If there is an appetizer that he really likes, you can request it each evening. I know I've seen a post by someone who wanted shrimp cocktail every night and got it.

On past cruises I traveled with someone who really liked shrimp cocktail and told the waiter so. He would receive a shrimp cocktail every evening in addition to a regular appetizer on the menu.

[quote name='luvcruizin']Unfortunately this trip is to celebrate our 15th anniversary so that wouldn't work out too well......LOL. So as you can see I am very used to his picky eating. To answer another post his life insurance policy is high and up to date (auto checking account deduction ;)).

He has no problem picking an entree, if there isn't anything he likes he'll just have the steak or chicken.

These boards are hilarious. Some people actually have something productive to say, while others have nothing better to do then be a wise a**![/quote
I am picky too and have food sensitivities and have managed fine. Perfect place for me. I always find something I like. They will bring the same thing each night if you wish.

One little fellow that was at our table, only wanted steak and chips, every night he got that and was so happy.

Have a wonderful cruise, he will find something he likes and can have what he wants if he lets them know ahead of time.

I, too, am an extremely picky eater, plus I have Celiac disease. So, between what I can't eat, and what I won't eat, there isn't much left. But, I always manage to find things to eat. Like the OP, I will have a steak or chix breast and baked potato and I am happy with that. The list of things I will eat is WAY shorter than the things I won't. But, I do agree, that is my problem and I would never stop my DH from having whatever he wants to have in the MDR. I usually just have a salad for an appetizer, just like I do in a restaurant here in WI. He can have whatever he wants, doesn't bother me in the least.

[quote name='sas80']Lol, my husband is a picky eater just like yours. I dont know why YOU feel bad....? He is doing it to himself. I always sit across from DS and smile and say "mmmmmmm" as I shovel nummy food into my mouth. He knows better to complain as he gets zero sympathy from me. Why should he? He makes his own choices!

Sorry, no enabling here![/quote]
that would be me, right down to the yummy noises.

at first I thought this was about her son. took me a while to see that it was a grownup. So, agree with this post and the one that said this is HIS problem.

especially since it's your anniversary, I just can't imagine having to skip MDR. If he lives with his picky eating every other day of his life, he can adapt for this cruise.

Archived