Tipping on a Daily Basis

viajes001

This will be my first time on a cruise. I am going on Royal Caribbean and they do not automatically charge you for tips like many of the other cruises. Is it ok to tip the waiter and cabin attendant every night by giving them their tip or is that something that is simply not done? This is what I typically do when I stay at all inclusive resorts.

i guess you coul...but like many others said...just really isnt the way many people do it (really have never seen it done). You can have them charge the account for you or if you'd like you can give them the fuill tip in cash at the end of the cruise. Either way you'll be fine...the crew's expectation is for grats to come on the last night

Tipping is traditionally done on the last evening of the cruise. You are suggested to tip your room attendant, waiter, ass't. waiter and head waiter. Any drinks you purchase will already have the tip applied (15%). No need to tip more for drinks.

If you tip on the last evening (which is the easiest way), figure $9,75 per person, per day to cover those I mention above. $3.50 pp pd -- room attendant

$3.50 pp pd- waiter

$2.00 pp pd -- ass't. waiter

$. 75 pp pd --head waiter.

It would be much too difficult, and probably confusing to the crew, to tip each and every day. Everyone waits until the last night of the cruise where you either tip in cash or you can put the total amount on your on board account.

If you tip on the last evening (which is the easiest way), figure $9,75 per person, per day to cover those I mention above. $3.50 pp pd -- room attendant

$3.50 pp pd- waiter

$2.00 pp pd -- ass't. waiter

$. 75 pp pd --head waiter.

If you were to tip daily ..how you your break down the tip if you come close to the recommended amount :confused::confused:

$1.15 for breakfast waiter

$1.15 for lunch waiter

$1.20 for dinner waiter

to the OP just add the tips to your S & S card..and enjoy the cruise

If you were to tip daily ..how you your break down the tip if you come close to the recommended amount :confused::confused:

$1.15 for breakfast waiter

$1.15 for lunch waiter

$1.20 for dinner waiter

to the OP just add the tips to your S & S card..and enjoy the cruise

The money is supposed to get pooled anyway, and divided amongst all the waiters. All the wait staff generally work all meal times in various locations so there doesn't need to be a breakdown of breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The money is supposed to get pooled anyway, and divided amongst all the waiters. All the wait staff generally work all meal times in various locations so there doesn't need to be a breakdown of breakfast, lunch and dinner.

You missed my point ;)

You don't tip the breakfast waiter and lunch waiter....you only tip the DINNER waiter...and if everyone does that, every waiter onboard gets the recommended tips. That's what DanJ was trying to say. The cruiseline is trying to make it easy for us vacationers!

You don't tip the breakfast waiter and lunch waiter....you only tip the DINNER waiter.

Why ?

Your breakfast & lunch wait staff work just as hard :rolleyes: :D

My point is.. if everyone started tipping the wait staff daily personally it will become to much to keep track of.

They usually have to turn in the tip anyway to the pool

Just leave the auto tip in place or tip the last night.

Most people may slip the crew extra $ to get extra favours

I have never found that necessary and do tip extra on the last night to those that went above & beyond

While it might be a hassle for the crew member to have to turn in tips received on a daily basis, we should remember that they are there to provide service and convenience to the passenger. If it makes the passenger's experience better to pay the tips daily, the passenger is free to do so. At least they are paying the tips, which is more than can be said for a lot of passengers.

On a five day cruise we take a hundred dollars in singles and I tip the cabin steward with some of them every evening on our way out to dinner, including the first evening. I also include a personal note to him thanking him for his efforts and noting something special we've appreciated.

One may feel tipping one way or another is a matter of conscience or even obligation, or alternatively an opportunity to occasionally reward meritorious service. Everyone has an opinion and everyone has just as much right to tip as they sees fit.

The bottom line to me is to respect others decisions about this topic- because either way, tipping is a personal and ultimately private decision for each of us to make on our own, otherwise it's not a tip - it's a surcharge.

Have a great cruise!

OP (first time cruiser ) asks is tipping every night "simply not done" . The answer is "correct" !

Tipping on RCI can be painlessly done by filing out a form @ embarkation , or waiting til the last night to tip personally (or additionaly) .

"Simply not done?" Sure it is.

Archived