Ships we've sailed that no longer exist.

mek

RCCL-Nordic Prince

RCCL-Sun Viking

RCCL-Song of Norway

RCCL-Song of America

RCCL-Serenade of the Seas

RCCL-Viking Serenade

Sitmar-Fair- something thru the Panama Canal

Carnival-dont remeber booze cruise

When we went on the Song of America she was the biggest and best, my Brother and I made a pact that we would go on every ship RCCL ever puts out. We didnt realize that RCCL could build them faster than we could afford them. I now cruise with DH and maybe some day we can say we have been on every ship in the fleet, but as long as we keep cruisin it doesnt matter.

How do you find out what happened to ships you've sailed on. How would I know if they're still around, or if they've been scrapped, etc? Specifically, I'm thinking of Monarch of the Seas and Song of America. Is there a web site to look this type of thing up?

Edited by treasurespast

How do you find out what happened to ships you've sailed on. How would I know if they're still around, or if they've been scrapped, etc? Specifically, I'm thinking of Monarch of the Seas and Song of America. Is there a web site to look this type of thing up?

Monarch of the Seas is still sailing...out of FLA.

Ships I've sailed that are no longer (However, I don't know if they are sailing under different names.):

Song of America

SS Azure Seas (Admiral Cruise Lines)

Stardancer (Western Cruise Lines) (or visa versa...I don't remember which ship belonged to which line)

Carnival Jubilee

Carnival Holiday

Viking Serenade

Good subject....I didn't realize how many ships I've sailed on are no longer.

Edited by MszKitty

You can try this site which lists ships and their former names. However, the primary listing is by the current name which you might not know. If you do a "find on this page" and put in the name of the vessel you are looking for you might find it. If the search isn't successful then you know it has probably been scrapped and turned into paper clips or razor blades.

Good luck!

I have used this site for a long time. It is not updated that often, but it is still pretty good.

I have another one too. If I can find it I will post it.

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/other/former_ship_names.asp

This is the other site. It is VERY large and has an extensive list of ships, from A to Z.

http://members.shaw.ca/erik.langeland/Ships/PassengerShips/PassengerShips_NameIndex.html#A

Edited by Alexis

Lots of fun times on these:

Carnival:

Mardi Gras ( 4 in a cabin with actual metal bunkbeds bolted to the floor!)

Holiday

Jubilee

Celebration

NCL:

Norway

Empress of the Seas

RCL:

Song of Norway

Song of america

Sovereign of the Seas

Renaissance:

R1 , R2

Others:

Dolphin IV

Emerad Seas

Cunard:

QE2

Britanis, Amerikanis, Constitution, Regent Sea, Doric, Homeric, Leonardo Da Vinci, Cristoforo Columbo, Michaelangelo, Raffaello, France, Norway, Queen Elizabeth, United States, Queen Anna Maria, Carnivale, Marti Gras, Marconi, and several others that have changed names and no longer sail from US ports. Looking over the list, I notice not only are some of these ships no longer sailing, but the lines no longer exist!

Not only is your list a history of lost ships - its also a NY cruiser from the 1960 - 2008 resume....I too have saield on may of the ships you list & miss those lines out of NYC...oh a carib cuise would be nice on ythe Italina Line right now!!!!

Britanis, Amerikanis, Constitution, Regent Sea, Doric, Homeric, Leonardo Da Vinci, Cristoforo Columbo, Michaelangelo, Raffaello, France, Norway, Queen Elizabeth, United States, Queen Anna Maria, Carnivale, Marti Gras, Marconi, and several others that have changed names and no longer sail from US ports. Looking over the list, I notice not only are some of these ships no longer sailing, but the lines no longer exist!

Give me a Home Lines ship any day!!! I remember leaving NYC aboard S/S Homeric on a day just like this one. We worried we would not make the 60mi drive to the pier!

HomericSnow.jpg

Not only is your list a history of lost ships - its also a NY cruiser from the 1960 - 2008 resume....I too have saield on may of the ships you list & miss those lines out of NYC...oh a carib cuise would be nice on ythe Italina Line right now!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Rotterdam: Yep, since the 60's and yes....NOTHING sailing now compares to the Home Lines. Even the "Crystal" experience is not what Home Lines ships were like. They really set the standard for cruising. And sailing out of NY was a real "event". The bon voyage parties, the streamers and confetti, the bands on deck, the tugs, the whistles and horns back and forth. And one more, the "Victoria" of Incres lines, that was pretty close to Home Lines although the ship was an older one.

I was thinking about all of the ships I've sailed on that have changed ownership and now sail under a new name and then I did some research on ships I've been on that no longer even exist. Here goes...

Emerald Seas - Scrapped

Mardi Gras - Scrapped

Festival - Scrapped

Regent Sea - Sank

Regent Star - Scrapped

Seabreeze - Sank

Norway - Scrapped

Anyone else?

Commodore Cruise Line....good riddance....

Yes those winter sailings......sitting in the bar w/ something while watching the traffic on the westside highway as wee headed down the HUdson.....

The last time it was snowing when I sailed was in 2003 on QE2 at teh start of the world cruise -I stayed out until teh Verrazano Bridge.....wonderful....

Give me a Home Lines ship any day!!! I remember leaving NYC aboard S/S Homeric on a day just like this one. We worried we would not make the 60mi drive to the pier!

HomericSnow.jpg

We would sail Holland America & Frnch Lines for the most part - once on the Bremen - but the best were Italian & Home Lines......

How did we pack alll those clothes......but the service & food were the best....

Rotterdam: Yep, since the 60's and yes....NOTHING sailing now compares to the Home Lines. Even the "Crystal" experience is not what Home Lines ships were like. They really set the standard for cruising. And sailing out of NY was a real "event". The bon voyage parties, the streamers and confetti, the bands on deck, the tugs, the whistles and horns back and forth. And one more, the "Victoria" of Incres lines, that was pretty close to Home Lines although the ship was an older one.

I was a child "ten pound pom" (technically my fare was free). I sailed to Australia on the Castel Felice, which was a rustbucket even in the 1960s, but I came back on the majestic, wonderful, never to be repeated Achille Lauro. 8 weeks, wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise together (our honeymoon) January 1995 out of San Juan to the Panama Canal on Celebrity's maiden ship Meridian.

I believe the Meridian sank while suffering a major engine fire while cruising for an Asian line in the late 1990's.

Great thread...........

Norway (scrapped)

Starward (now Bolero)

Bermuda Star - Bermuda Star Line (?)

Seaward (?)

Monarch of the Seas (sailing out of Florida)

Inspiration (sailing out of Tampa, FL)

Although I enjoyed all of my cruises, I really loved the Norway. Her interiors were so elegant.

• 2 weeks later...
Our first cruise together (our honeymoon) January 1995 out of San Juan to the Panama Canal on Celebrity's maiden ship Meridian.

I believe the Meridian sank while suffering a major engine fire while cruising for an Asian line in the late 1990's.

Great thread...........

Yes, the MERIDIAN did catch fire during a cruise and sank. No fatalities. I sailed on her from New York to Bermuda in the early 90's. After sailing on RCL's Freedom class ships, you realize how far ships have come over the past 20 years.