late for dinner in MDR?

They will but if your on a large table it may seem rude to your table mates as they may have to wait for you or you will turn up half way through their meal.

Footnote to my post:

we had a table of 4 for our May cruise and the 4th person not on our party was late both times we went into the main dining room, out wait staff waited a few mins before getting our order she turned up mid way thru our starters. She then also had a starter so we had to wait for her to eat that. then we had to wait for the mains all toghter.

Well, they will seat you but it extremely inconsiderate of the wait staff and your table mates. :mad: The waiters serve the course at the same time for the entire table. And most of dining room is getting the courses at the same time. If you are running extremely late, I would suggest not going to dinner in the MDR and going to one of the other choices. Better yet, if you know that the traditional dining schedule is going to be hard to stick to then sign up for MTD.

Yes, they will seat you.

We'll usually wait about 15 minutes for our tablemates to arrive. If they aren't there by then we order. If they come a little later we make sure to tell our waiter not to hold our dinner. They might be finishing their appetizer when we are almost done our main course. We won't let them "punish" us for their tardiness.

thanks for the info.... true, would be super inconsiderate to have to make others wait for food... not good at all... didn't realize they would make the rest of the table wait for the late group.

yep, the waiters have a system. All orders are taken at the same time for the entire table and then courses are served together. Otherwise the poor waiters would have major chaos..;)

Realize that its not just the waiters who are inconvenienced...its the kitchen staff too.

They set up to roll out appetizers all at about the same time...then they'll switch over to plating and serving main courses. Latecomers mean that some kitchen staff now has to backtrack and go BACKWARDS to appetizers, slowing the works up for main courses and putting the kitchen out of sorts.

Why would you be late? You know what time dinner is....plan to get there!

we're not planning on being late... just wondering what would happen IF we are late...

so now that we know that chaos and bad things would result from being late, we just won't bother with MDR if we're in a time crunch

(i was specifically thinking of excursion days when I posted this question... we've got an excursion booked that supposedly takes all day and that being late back to the ship is not uncommon.... this would in turn affect getting ready for 6:15 dinner)

oh...and totally nice reference with walking the plank... good visual lol

We try very hard to be on time. We have gotten tied up in picture lines a couple of times though.

Just a suggestion, we always tell our tablemates that if we are not at the table within a certain time frame (say 10 minutes) of the dining room door opening to go ahead without us, we won't be there.

We try very hard to be on time. We have gotten tied up in picture lines a couple of times though.

Just a suggestion, we always tell our tablemates that if we are not at the table within a certain time frame (say 10 minutes) of the dining room door opening to go ahead without us, we won't be there.

good suggestion. thanks.

What is even worst is that if you are at the first seating,that means that you put a strain on the wait staff as they have to get the table ready for the second seating.And they dont get anytime to relax between.

What happens if we're late to dinner (traditional dining) in the MDR? Do they seat us anyways?

After 27 cruises it was getting to be a habit with table mates showing up anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes late for dinner. And they think nothing of it. We were never late on any of ours.

That is an inconvenience to everyone from the waiters to the rest of us at large tables. We were all getting out of the dining rooms later and later because of this.

Even if you had a table for two, you are expected to arrive on time.

So my husband and I have now gone to the MTD because of passengers like that. I am really looking forward to a table for two. Not taking any formal wear this next cruise and not worrying who shows up when.

Perhaps if you plan on being late you might look into the MTD yourself so as not to inconvenience a whole table full of people including the wait staff. ;) Then you can choose your own time to eat.

(i was specifically thinking of excursion days when I posted this question... we've got an excursion booked that supposedly takes all day and that being late back to the ship is not uncommon.... this would in turn affect getting ready for 6:15 dinner)

If you know you will not be back to the ship on time. You have to shower and dress for dinner, eat in the Windjammer that night. There is a good dinner in there also. Just tell your wait staff the night before. Or perhaps if you were going to try the Specialty Restaurants, that would be a good night to do that. ;)

If only your party is seated at your table, obviously, it's not AS big a deal, but all of the above stuff about the kitchen and wait staff still applies;)

If we are planning a night in the windjammer or the specialty restaurant, we try to also tell the wait staff not to expect us on whichever night. I think they appreciate that as much as your table-mates might!

I hate to rush to get to dinner on time. I try to be realistic... if I'm not gonna be there on time, I relax and make a different choice :p

A~

That is why we always pick the later sitting time.

It takes mom time, to get ready after any outings.

Plus the CL has drinks from 5 -8:30, so don't want to miss that!

Once, we where going to run late, and new that we would not make it.

So please call them and let them know ahead of time.

Also call, if you know that you have reservations, to another restaurant

or if you want to go to the buffet one night.

Your table mates will like you better!:D

We actually had tablemates who were furious with the wait staff for serving us without them. I went to the Head Waiter and explained the situation and the next evening they were seated by themselves. Turned out great.

Great idea! We had a couple that was late EVERY night. Most of the nights, the waiter took our orders and began to serve before the VHM couple arrived.

This is the same couple that didn't want to tip the head waiter because, "He didn't do nothing for me, why should I pay him".

(*VHM = Very High Maintenance).

good suggestions folks! thanks!!!

I see you are fairly new on here so welcome. :D

It is good you asked this question in advance and got answers before your cruise. Even if we seem a little harsh.

Better you know now, than walking in to a Dining Room table of several "Silent people staring at you with darts in their eyes."

Just kidding. :D Not.

Have a great cruise. ;)

I see you are fairly new on here so welcome. :D

It is good you asked this question in advance and got answers before your cruise. Even if we seem a little harsh.

Better you know now, than walking in to a Dining Room table of several "Silent people staring at you with darts in their eyes."

Just kidding. :D Not.

Have a great cruise. ;)

i had no idea that being late would result in the "darts in the eyes" evil look from my tablemates...so it is a good thing I asked beforehand - LOL

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Why would you be late? You know what time dinner is....plan to get there!

After a certain point, they won't seat you.....or if they do, they (and you) will be rushed....

Just don't be late!

Do you hear yourself? The OP was just asking a simple question. He/she apparently has not sailed before. He/she responded with an appropriate response. Why be so blantly rude?

Guest maddycat
So my husband and I have now gone to the MTD because of passengers like that. I am really looking forward to a table for two. Not taking any formal wear this next cruise and not worrying who shows up when.

You are going to love MTD. We did it last May on the Explorer. It was great. We never made reservations. We showed up for dinner between 6:15 and 7:00. We never had to wait to be seated. We always got a table for 2. Dinner was quicker, but never rushed. Service was excellent.

Archived