May 2010- What to Pack?

birdylady

I have been reading all the postings I can and I'm not sure if it helps or confuses me more. We are booked for our first Alaskan cruise for the end of May. I am originally from up North so I like cool weather. Hubby is from the South and doesn't care for it as much. I know we want to go on a whale watch and I know from my time up North that just cause it's 60 degrees doesn't mean it can't have a raw feeling when out on the water. So, I guess my question is do we need long johns for our trip? I've read people highly recommend Fleece jackets. Some even suggest just to buy them at the first port as they are everywhere and reasonably priced. A concern I have with not prepacking everything we need as we are not petite individuals.

So with all that-

Is it recommended to bring long johns?

Fleece jackets?

Umbrellas?

Any all all other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanx,

Erika

I haven't been to Alaska in May, but have been there in September three times and have never needed long johns. We are orignally from Minnesota so we are used to cool/cold weather but have never felt the need for them on our Alaska trips. We both wear sweatshirts and light weight waterproof jackets on our trips and we haven't been cold, even on whale watching excursions. We do bring gloves and hats on those. We don't bother with umbrellas as they just get in the way of others walking in the port towns and our waterproof jackets have been enough for us. There was only one time, in Ketchikan, that it totally poured. On our trips we have been lucky that the rain we have had in ports was just light and we were never drenched and miserable.

As you have probably read - you can't predict the weather in Alaska. I went on my first cruise in June 2009. The week before my cruise it was about 80 degrees but the next week - the week of my cruise - the high was about 68. A good jacket, scarf for the neck and some gloves did the job. The only port we had rain was Juneau. The best suggestion I got from these boards was the over the door shoe holder to use in the bathroom. It held everything 2 women needed and didn't take up any room :) Have a great cruise!

We've cruised to Alaska 4 times and once we tried May we loved it. Now that's the only time we cruise there. We live in Hawaii but love cold weather travelling and each time we've been to Alaska in May it's been wonderful with beautiful sunny days and chilly temperatures.

I'm petite and have a tendency to feel the cold, but I have a fleece jacket that I wear over layers and with my gloves and scarf I'm just fine. I've done a fishing charter, whale watch, a zipline, a 4x4 trip, kayak trip, and a jetboat tour as well as other outdoor excursions and I've been comfortable without long johns. The thing I'd recommend is one of those disposable rain ponchos. They're compact and are easier to handle than an umbrella. I've made use of them a couple of times in Ketchikan. :)

hi birdlady. i have been to the glacier bay in alaska in the middle of may and the middle of sept. each time i have gone on the whale tours and up into the white pass mountains. i am not saying it does not get chilly and windy on the deck but i am from the north part of IL so the temps during those months did not bother me enough to make me uncomfortable. there were some spots of snow in the mountains in may but nothing that would bother any kind of outing . i wore a teeshirt under a hooded sweatshirt in the ports and on my tours with a comfy pair of jogger pants and tennis shoes. out on the deck i had a unlined nylon jacket to put on over my sweatshirt if i needed it. out on the whale tour or in the glaciers ( if you are going there ) you might want to have a pair of lightweight gloves and a headband in your bag. i have always taken a small umbrella but i have been lucky enough to not need it. it did rain one day at sea but not in the ports. ''the sun-gods where looking down on me :D''. on the ship i wore sweaters and comfy pants ( i dont take any pants that dont have a elastic waitband ) and i was very comfortable the whole cruise. jogging outfits are great to wear for warmth and comfort around the ship and in the ports. your hubby might want to have a little more heavyweight gloves and hat on when he is out in the open. i took cuddles long johns the first cruise and never needed them. i leave them home now. if i get chilly on the deck i would go inside and grab a hot drink, warm up and then go back outside. there are windows everywhere to be able to see things. if you want to be safe and bring a fleece jacket or vest go ahead , but as other posters have said you can buy any kind of outerwear,sweaters and sweats in most of the shops at the ports or on the ship. my first cruise i forgot too bring enough socks of all things :eek:. they sell them in the ports too ;). dont over pack. your cabin will have a robe for each of you and you can mix and match and wear the same thing twice because you dont get dirty. take half the stuff out of your bag and then rethink AGAIN whether you will really need that extra sweater or outfit. a shirt, tie and pair of pants will be just fine for your hubby for formal night. as for you, think of what you would wear to church or a wedding and that will be a good choice for you for that night as well. you will see a few tuxes, gowns and really dressy sparkly dresses, but you will not be out of place in the clothes i recommended. i know you are going to have a great time and be awed by alaska. just relax on the cruise and take it all in. i love going there and plan too make many more cruises there in the future. have a wonderful time. :)

We were on ROS May 22, 2009. I think we ( I ) overpacked didn't need my Ugg Boots. We had beautiful weather but it is Alaska. The coldest it got was about 46 degrees and that was the morning we were at Hubbard Glacier. All our cruises have been to hot tropical climates and we were actually looking forward to some really cold weather and yes snow.:eek: When we got off ship noticed the locals were in short sleeves so easy to spot the tourists. Had a little misty drizzle in Skagway that was pretty much it. Did buy a great jacket in Skagway $19.00 ( of course didn't need it but couldn't pass a bargin up LOL ) and don't worry they have a wide range of sizes ( after all it's Lumberjack Country) Layering will be your best bet. Enjoy, don't overpack but be prepared ;)

Having been to Alaska in all the cruising timeframes, I find that you need the SAME stuff, no matter when you go. IF you are at all likely to get outside, then you need the warmer attire, with knit hat and gloves. IF you aren't planning any outside stuff on the ship, then skip it. Pack a pair of shorts, if so desired. I have never worn shorts in Alaska. :) But plenty of people do.

Doing laundry can greatly cut down on bulk, consider it.

And NO you don't need boots.

IMHO umbrellas are a hazard and a pain in the butt. Pack a pair of long johns -- if you need them and don't have them, you might be pretty uncomfortable. As for buying a fleece in port, do you really want to waste precious vacation time searching for a fleece? Bring one from home, IMHO. Make sure to bring a hooded waterproof jacket as a top layer.

Archived