Grits??

rslex

I've had "grits" on one cruise ship, a Princess ship I think, and they were truly bad. Tasted as if they were totally unseasoned (no salt, pepper, or butter) and were overcooked.

Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned garlic cheese grits. These are a true delicacy. A variation that is even better includes worcestershire sauce. A non-southerner would almost assuredly like these, but I'm pretty sure it is illegal to serve them to such folks. If not, it should be.

I absolutely LOVE grits! They should not be guey at all!!! They are yummy by them selves, with butter, add salt and pepper, whatever. If you happen to drive to a Cracker Barrel restaurant for breakfast, try the grits. As a former northerner I am hooked! Trust me on this one. But they have to be cooked correctly........

Christapie..........running to the kitchen to have a bowl of grits.........mmmmmm

P.S. Never saw them on the ship but will look actively on the Sapphire in Nov.

You poor deprived yankees probably don't like boiled peanuts either!

No wonder no one ever moves to the north when they retire....oh how I wish they did!!:rolleyes:

Oh my.....don't even get me STARTED thinking about boiled peanuts! MMmmmmmm.......

Hey y'all!

Yes, grits are served but not everyday, and I do admit I have to add quite a bit of salt, pepper and butter. Still waiting for shrimp and grits on the dinner menu! Now that's a great dish....just ask Paula. :D

Man! Whodda thunk a simple question about grits would generate such responses. It's been very entertaining.

One last word on grits. I'm reminded of the old saying:

"If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'; eggs ain't poultry; grits ain't groceries and Mona Lisa was a man!"

Being from Georgia, I can tell you that grits are available most mornings at the buffet. However, they are not very good. :( Kind of gluey. My DS loves grits and he won't eat these.....

My favorite grits additions: cheddar cheese and jalapenos OR cheddar cheese and bacon

My favourite grits addition is shrimp!! As mycruz said above, I, too, would love to see shrimp and grits on the dinner menu. Yummmmmy.

I was on the Diamond last Christmas and they certainly had grits every morning for breakfast.

We don't get them in Australia but I had heard about grits from watching a lot of American TV so I tried some.

10 months later I'm still trying to get the taste out of my mouth!!!!

No, only joking, not that bad, sort of like soggy cardboard. I'm told that if I smothered them in butter and maple syrup I would enjoy them more.

I guess if I smothered soggy cardboard in butter and maple syrup I could enjoy that too.

Each to his own.

Cheers

Stu

I live in the US - in the South - and I just hate grits! No taste, looks like white marbled Jello after a couple of hours. Down here, if I go to any restaurant or fast-food drive-through, I automatically say, "Big Mac with large fries and NO grits." I'm obviously not from the South, but live here now. Grits and that horrible concoction known as "sweet "tea" are offered at every meal. I just can't stomach this stuff. No decent Mexican restaurants, or delis here, either. I'm losing weight daily!

From "My Cousin Vinney":

Vinny Gambini: [Vinny and Lisa receive their breakfast orders, Vinny looks at his skeptically] Whats this over here?

Grits Cook: You never heard of grits?

Vinny Gambini: Sure I've heard of grits. I just never actually *seen* a grit before.

One of my all-time favorite movies! Especially love when Vinny talks about the 'yoots'! I need to Netflix that one this weekend! :D

I live in the US - in the South - and I just hate grits! No taste, looks like white marbled Jello after a couple of hours. Down here, if I go to any restaurant or fast-food drive-through, I automatically say, "Big Mac with large fries and NO grits." I'm obviously not from the South, but live here now. Grits and that horrible concoction known as "sweet "tea" are offered at every meal. I just can't stomach this stuff. No decent Mexican restaurants, or delis here, either. I'm losing weight daily!

As one of the most favorite Southern comedians would say "If you don't like it here, please buy a ticket home "DELTA WILL GET YOU THERE!".

Yeah, grits get so hard after a few hours we can patch a roof with it. No restaurant serves grits after 10:30 am, you can't get them out of the bucket...too hard. Aah, wonderful sweet tea. You either love it or...well, you know. This ain't Mexico or New York. Enough said.

For everyone who would like to come down South, y'all come! If you are going to complain and tell us how it should be done, stay home!:rolleyes:

There is something I love having on a cruise but cannot find it in my supermarket, at breakfast they have "Birchers Muselli?" it's like a warm farina with raisins, nuts, cinnamin, etc. I must have had three bowls the first morning of my last cruise...seems like I have to book a cruise to find this.

We were on the Star in May, they served grits every other day - they would swap out with cream of wheat on the latter days...we will be on the Emerald starting this Sunday and I will check it out and let you know when I get back (as long as I can remember:oLOL)

TLC535

We are on Emerald on the 11/22 sailing. Would appreciate if you could tell me what the MUTS movies are and which nite is caribbean nite and italian nite in the dining rooms. And any other tidbits of info!!

Thanks so much......

A few years ago, I did a road trip to Virginia and

then South Carolina, every morning they would

automatically serve grits with every breakfast meal.

eggs, toast and grits....french toast and grits..

pancakes and grits. this was at every restaurant.

I once asked if they had potatoes instead of grits,

the woman looked at me like I was nuts.

An important question for every self-respectin' southerner-

Do they serve grits for breakfast on the Emerald Princess?

every princess cruise in the Caribbean we have seen grits on the buffet

I learned something about three cruises ago on princess, if you don't see it ask for it, you maybe surprised at what you can get or they may have it in the dining room and they will have someone run down to get them for you.

This is why I refuse to go on other lines, (after our last cruise) first of all you get a silly look and a no, on Princess they will at least check, or tell you where to go where you may find what you want, cafe caribe seems to really cater to special requests.

They can't do it all the time but it makes you feel good they at least try. IMO that is what service is all about and that is why we love Princess.

As one of the most favorite Southern comedians would say "If you don't like it here, please buy a ticket home "DELTA WILL GET YOU THERE!".

Yeah, grits get so hard after a few hours we can patch a roof with it. No restaurant serves grits after 10:30 am, you can't get them out of the bucket...too hard. Aah, wonderful sweet tea. You either love it or...well, you know. This ain't Mexico or New York. Enough said.

For everyone who would like to come down South, y'all come! If you are going to complain and tell us how it should be done, stay home!:rolleyes:

AMEN eagletwo....I 2nd that....LOL:D

Okay, I can't resist... I'll have to jump in here!!! :p

As a southerner.... who lives in an area of retiree/transplants....

"If you don't like it here, please buy a ticket home "DELTA WILL GET YOU THERE!" OMG!!!!! TOOO FUNNY!!!!!!! I just LOVE THIS!!!!!

One of my all time favorite bumper stickers is one that reads....

" I don't give a damn HOW you did it 'up north' "

OMG!!!! After hearing it all, incessantly, for years.... I can say that truer words have never been spoken.

Grits... IT'S JUST CORN, PEOPLE....

It's just corn... salt, butter, enjoy...

(don't even get me started on people who think grits are like oatmeal, and try to eat them with sugar on them....)

And, as foods go... there are many foods that are best when prepared by folks in the region who know how to prepare them and enjoy them.

In other words.... If one bases their opinion of 'grits' on what they had on a cruise ship.... Well, they may never have had decent grits.

All I can say is, anytime I have traveled out of the South, I have not been able to wait to get back home and get some food with some good southern flavor!!!

I'll tell you what is 'gross'..... people who feel compelled to refer to a food that others may enjoy as 'dog vomit'. :confused:

Forgot and bet u haven't tried this one.

Grits, collards, and southern fried chicken in real fat w/sweeten ice tea. And every once in a while substitute cat fish.:D:D:D

Found heaven at the kitchen table.:)

Archived