Have you used Tru Travel or CSA Travel Protection

stipmom

to insure your trip? Since we are driving to the port I am not concerned with travel delay or baggage delay. I really want to cover myself for outright cancellation due to illness or trip interruption in case of emergency at home.Wondering how these companies are. Any feedback from users is appreciated. Thanks

It might be a little difficult to find people that have actually had to USE their travel insurance. I have purchased CSA, and various other companies as well. I have never heard of TruTravel. Thankfully, we haven't had to file a claim with any of them. CSA is well known.

Maybe there are others familiar with the claim process and response. :)

We have purchased both CSA and TruTravel in the past....we have TruTravel for our cruise next month....

TruTravel is underwritten with Nationwide Insurance.....

Have not had to file any claims since Hurricane Francis a number of years ago, that was through CSA and no issues, quick to reimburse.

We had to make a claim against CSA for on-board medical expenses on a Carnival cruise recently. Absolutely no problem in having claim paid. Filled out form, attached receipt from ship's infirmary. I have insured my next cruise (on RCI in December) with them.

We used CSA in 2005 and had to put in a claim because we were delayed getting into port because of Hurricane Dennis. We missed our flight, had to stay a night in a hotel, meals, etc. The ONLY thing they didn't cover was the extra night the dog was at the kennel. Everything else was covered and we had no problem getting refunded.

Can someone help clarify one thing for me?

If I understnad how these insurances work for medical coverage, your primary insurance that you would have at home takes priority over this travel insurance. Meaning, first you would file a claim for your primary and anything that wasn't covered you would file through the travel insurance. Correct?

Yes - on the CSA policy you are supposed to bill your primary health insurance carrier first, then CSA will pay the difference. In our case, my wife had not met her primary deductible at the time, and the amount was relatively small ($110) so CSA paid the lot (doctor and pharmacy).

In 2008 we had to cancel a cruise a week before sail time, because of my husbands hospitalization. CAS refunded the complete amount except the premium for the insurance and no questions asked. We always use CSA

Guest maddycat
Can someone help clarify one thing for me?

If I understnad how these insurances work for medical coverage, your primary insurance that you would have at home takes priority over this travel insurance. Meaning, first you would file a claim for your primary and anything that wasn't covered you would file through the travel insurance. Correct?

Some travel insurance policies are primary coverage. We use Access America and it is a primary medical coverage. We do not have to go through our medical insurance.

Have never had a problem with CSA. Have made claims twice I think, once for onboard illness and once for a cancellation. They were both handled very efficiently. On the other hand, we used Berkley Care (which was purchased through NCL) once and we'll just say it was less than satisfactory.

We always use CSA Travel Protection. Unfortunately we needed it this past August. My husband became ill and we had to leave the Explorer 4 days early.

CSA was great. "Trip interruption" covered the 4 nights that we missed on the ship as well as the change fees for our flights. They were very helpful and easy to deal with.

The medical coverage is secondary. My primary coverage finally covered their portion and I emailed the documents to CSA. They responded the next day and a check is on the way for deductibles and other out of pocket expenses.

Nice to hear good things about CSA. Using them for the first time for our November trip. We have used Travel Ex in the past but they don't cover H1N1 so wanted someone who would. We hope we never have to make a claim but good to know CSA is not hard to work with if we do.

Had to cancel a cruise 3 days before we were to leave due to emergency surgery for my husband. We were insured through CSA. They reimbursed for everything....even our expense for re-depositing our freq flyer miles.

We have taken out TruTravel for our upcoming trip. I hope we won't have to use it.

Archived