MTA Makes It Easier for Airport Travelers with Luggage

GTJ

Transit buses serving New York City's two airports are being outfitted with luggage racks as part of a pilot program to assess their usefulness. These luggage racks should be helpful to those cruise line passengers who elect to use the City's transit system in getting to and from the airports.

The first luggage racks have been installed on buses along route M60, a route that connects all passenger terminals at LaGuardia Airport with Upper Manhattan. Additional racks will be installed on bus routes Q33 and Q72 (connecting all LaGuardia Airport passenger terminals except the Marine Air Terminal with the E and F express subway trains in Jackson Heights and Rego Park, respectively); route Q48 (connecting all LaGuardia Airport passenger terminals with Flushing); route Q10 (connecting JFK Airport Terminal 4 with E and F express subway trains in Kew Gardens); and routes B15 and Q3 (connecting JFK Airport Terminal 4 with Brooklyn and Jamaica, respectively).

Note that these bus routes are part of the extensive New York City transit system, and not the more expensive express buses that travel directly between the airports and midtown Manhattan. Cruise line passengers using the City's transit system should be able to handle their own luggage independently, and while there are many elevators and escalators throughout the system, should be able to lift their luggage up and down steps that may be encountered. Travelers unable to handle their own luggage independently should instead use the express buses that travel directly between the airports and midtown Manhattan or a hired vehicle.

The full press release is located here. http://mta.info/mta/news/releases/?en=091012-NYCT169 Transit maps are located here. http://mta.info/nyct/maps Transit schedules are located here. http://mta.info/nyct/service/subsch.htm

Having luggage racks on the busses is great, but if I read the information correctly, the busses take you to the subway. Taking the luggage on the subway is not for the faint of heart. The best public transportation from JFK is the Airtrain to the LIRR. Unfortunately, the airtrain does not include LaG.

The Silver Line buses in Boston have had this for several years. Getting to South Station from Logan Airport is no more difficult than getting to a car rental.

We just returned this past weekend from a 7-day voyage on the Norwegian Spirit from Québec to Boston, and we used the Silver Line from the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal to South Station. Low floor buses make bringing luggage on board easy. But I did not notice any luggage racks on the bus we traveled upon. The only substantial downside we found is that there does not appear to be any place to buy a 1-day tourist pass at the cruise ship terminal (but I just walked over to the World Trade Center station to buy tickets for both us, then returned to the terminal for boarding). It appears to me that this bus stop should have ticketing machines available for the sale of such tourist tickets (and to help single ride passengers who might not have exact fare available). At South Station there are elevators and escalators all the way from the Silver Line station to the trains and buses that depart from the station, and we stored our luggage for the day at the package express office of Greyhound Lines for $5 each piece.

Having luggage racks on the busses is great, but if I read the information correctly, the busses take you to the subway. Taking the luggage on the subway is not for the faint of heart. The best public transportation from JFK is the Airtrain to the LIRR. Unfortunately, the airtrain does not include LaG.

Yes, what you read is largely correct. However, one can travel on the M60 bus from LaGuardia Airport to Upper Manhattan, then transfer to another bus going down one of the avenues into Midtown Manhattan without having to use the subway. It would not be as quick to ride the bus as it would be for the subway, but doing so might cause less anxiety for some people. From the M60 alight at any of the following intersections for access to Midtown Manhattan:

Eastside

Via Second Av: Transfer to M15 at 125 St & Second Av

Via Lexington Av: Transfer to M101 or M103 at 125 St & Lexington Av

Via Fifth Av: Transfer to M1 at 125 St & Fifth Av

Westside

Via Seventh Av: Transfer to M7 at 125 St & Lenox Av

Via Ninth Av: Transfer to M11 at 125 St & Amsterdam Av

Via Seventh Av and 42 St crosstown: Transfer to M104 at 116 St & Broadway

Yes, what you read is largely correct. However, one can travel on the M60 bus from LaGuardia Airport to Upper Manhattan, then transfer to another bus going down one of the avenues into Midtown Manhattan without having to use the subway. It would not be as quick to ride the bus as it would be for the subway, but doing so might cause less anxiety for some people. From the M60 alight at any of the following intersections for access to Midtown Manhattan:

Eastside

Via Second Av: Transfer to M15 at 125 St & Second Av

Via Lexington Av: Transfer to M101 or M103 at 125 St & Lexington Av

Via Fifth Av: Transfer to M1 at 125 St & Fifth Av

Westside

Via Seventh Av: Transfer to M7 at 125 St & Lenox Av

Via Ninth Av: Transfer to M11 at 125 St & Amsterdam Av

Via Seventh Av and 42 St crosstown: Transfer to M104 at 116 St & Broadway

And none of these routes will have luggage racks, nor any easy method for you to hoist your luggage on board, so what good are they for travelers? You start out on a bus with luggage racks and have to transfer to one without, or the reverse.

So what do the New Yorkers really think about recommending that tourists take the M60 bus to 125th St in Harlem to transfer to the bus or subway? I've had a chance to drive through Harlem several times recently and the parts I saw are really buffed up, but I can't help but believe that certain crosstown spots are better than others to make a transfer.

So what do the New Yorkers really think about recommending that tourists take the M60 bus to 125th St in Harlem to transfer to the bus or subway? I've had a chance to drive through Harlem several times recently and the parts I saw are really buffed up, but I can't help but believe that certain crosstown spots are better than others to make a transfer.

I do the buses and subways, all the time in my NYC travels, including Airtrain and A subway. Have taken the bus/subway combo for years from LaGuardia.

It definately is NOT for everyone, and probably not for most.

You will always see other travelers, and frankly, many are ill prepared, have great difficultly hauling over packed, low quality bags and should have chosen something else.

And none of these routes will have luggage racks, nor any easy method for you to hoist your luggage on board, so what good are they for travelers? You start out on a bus with luggage racks and have to transfer to one without, or the reverse.

Quite true with respect to the luggage racks. But what I think is the MTA's motivation--more so than passenger convenience--is to get the luggage out of the way. On the routes serving the airports there are many passengers boarding with luggage . . . higher amounts of luggage compared to the average for all buses. On those routes the racks could help keep the luggage out of the aisles and prevent tripping over all the pieces. On the other hand, other routes don't regularly have passengers with much luggage, so there may not be as many pieces in the aisles over which passengers could trip.

On the other hand, there are now many low-floor Orion VII buses throughout the city, and the hoisting of luggage upon these buses will be just the same as with the buses with newly-installed racks (there just won't be a dedicated place to store them). Of course, it will remain a task to bring heavy bags into high-floor buses (the RTS, Orion V, and New Flyer articulated fleet). One of the interesting things about the MTA is that while there is a fleet of MCI D4500 coaches with underfloor luggage storage, the MTA has made the decision to keep all the luggage bays locked and to require passengers carry into the coach any luggage they might have. I think New Jersey Transit does a better job in that respect.

Regarding the MTA buses from Laguardia to Midtown Manhattan for cruise ship passengers... WHY?? A taxi from LGA to any midtown hotel would be less than $30 inclusive of tolls and tip - Not even $15 per person if you are a couple. Sure the bus routine would only cost $2.25 per person (oh by the way - make sure you have that in coins, since buses do not accept notes) - but to have to haul your luggage, transfer buses (including wait time at transfer point) just doesn't make sense.

I am a New Yorker and I LOVE our public transportation - but given what you have spent for your cruise - treat yourself to a taxi.

Regarding the MTA buses from Laguardia to Midtown Manhattan for cruise ship passengers... WHY?? A taxi from LGA to any midtown hotel would be less than $30 inclusive of tolls and tip - Not even $15 per person if you are a couple. Sure the bus routine would only cost $2.25 per person (oh by the way - make sure you have that in coins, since buses do not accept notes) - but to have to haul your luggage, transfer buses (including wait time at transfer point) just doesn't make sense.

I am a New Yorker and I LOVE our public transportation - but given what you have spent for your cruise - treat yourself to a taxi.

There's a few reasons whey people might want to travel by public transportation instead of private transportation. While not everyone will accept these reasons, but since this board is well-read, having the information regarding the use of public transportation is helpful to those who so choose.

1. Not everyone has money to burn. With the economy the way it is, many are unemployed and are looking to cut corners where possible. In the case of my last cruise a $30 taxi would have been greater than 10 percent of the cruise fare. With a taxi here, and a taxi there, soon the cost of the journey can soon be doubled.

2. Some may be traveling on business (as was the case with my penultimate sea voyage), and most employers want to minimize unnecessary travel expenses. All of my employers have discouraged the use of private transportation if reasonable public transportation exists.

3. Especially when visiting other places, some people find that travel by private transportation can be isolating, while public transportation enables greater intimacy with the locale.

4. Others, out of a concern for the environment, avoid adding to the number of unnecessary vehicular trips when possible and try instead to use regularly scheduled public transportation. New York City would fail as a city if everyone decided to use private transportation regularly.

5. Private transportation is more dangerous than public transportation. One is more likely to suffer injury or fatality while using private transportation.

What is up with number 5? What do you want to do, make people afraid to use taxis or limos? And yes, the subways are intimate. It is always "nice" to be sqeezed in like sardines. As for number 1, as we say in NY, not for nothing, but if you are unemployed you really shouldn't be taking a vacation, should you??:rolleyes:

There's a few reasons whey people might want to travel by public transportation instead of private transportation. While not everyone will accept these reasons, but since this board is well-read, having the information regarding the use of public transportation is helpful to those who so choose.

1. Not everyone has money to burn. With the economy the way it is, many are unemployed and are looking to cut corners where possible. In the case of my last cruise a $30 taxi would have been greater than 10 percent of the cruise fare. With a taxi here, and a taxi there, soon the cost of the journey can soon be doubled.

2. Some may be traveling on business (as was the case with my penultimate sea voyage), and most employers want to minimize unnecessary travel expenses. All of my employers have discouraged the use of private transportation if reasonable public transportation exists.

3. Especially when visiting other places, some people find that travel by private transportation can be isolating, while public transportation enables greater intimacy with the locale.

4. Others, out of a concern for the environment, avoid adding to the number of unnecessary vehicular trips when possible and try instead to use regularly scheduled public transportation. New York City would fail as a city if everyone decided to use private transportation regularly.

5. Private transportation is more dangerous than public transportation. One is more likely to suffer injury or fatality while using private transportation.

Agree that information is helpful. So my first helpful hint would be if you would like to use public transport from the Airport to Manhattan then do NOT fly into Laguardia. Choose JFK or Newark instead - they are both connected to Manhattan by the Airtrain system.

What is up with number 5? What do you want to do, make people afraid to use taxis or limos? And yes, the subways are intimate. It is always "nice" to be squeezed in like sardines. As for number 1, as we say in NY, not for nothing, but if you are unemployed you really shouldn't be taking a vacation, should you??:rolleyes:

We should probably be "mindful" about highway travel, not necessarily "afraid" of it. We've generally averaged about 40,000 highway fatalities each year (though the data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for the first half of 2009 shows only 16,626 deaths), a number that is thirteen times greater than the number of people murdered at the WTC eight years ago. There's a benefit to be gained from highway travel, but we should be aware that there is also a cost to it as well, something we don't always think about given how omnipresent our automobiles are today.

I suspect that few of us like dealing with rush hour conditions in New York City, whether it is squeezed in on the subway, or delayed on the highway. Hopefully our visitors will pay heed to the advice of avoiding, if possible, rush hour travel.

My most recent cruise was while being unemployed (and my wife, too, had been laid off). I used the voyage in part to seek out some job opportunities and otherwise keep my professional skills up-to-date, so it wasn't really "vacation" (it was tax-deductible transportation). Right now the cost of cruising is so low it may be less than the cost of staying at home and it is certainly it is comparable to the cost of traveling on a Greyhound Lines bus. I paid USD 249 for a one-way journey between Quebec and Boston; the fare on the bus would have been USD 125. Add on the cost of a hotel and food and the cruise fare comes in at a lower amount.

Yea depending on what time you take the subway especially if it's a packed car good luck getting your luggage on.

Archived