Showing Drivers license to get back on ship

Bravesloop

Yes, in most ports, you need to show photo ID to get into the area around the ship that is protected by the local port authority. Then, you need your room key to actually get onto the ship.

Those under 16 do not need photo ID, and should be accompanied by an adult.

Do you need to carry your driver license to show to get back on ship along with your room key from shore excursion?
It all depends on the port. Some require personal identification in addition to your cruise card, others don't. Bring your driver's license or passport when you leave the ship to be sure. Usually, the Princess Patter will have information about whether the port requires identification but it's better to be safe than sorry.

It all depends on the port. Usually, the Princess Patter will have information about whether the port requires identification but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Yes, the Patter will tell you when you should carry the picture ID off the ship. However, not all of the ports will actually ask to see them even when the Patter mentions it.

Yes, the Patter will tell you when you should carry the picture ID off the ship. However, not all of the ports will actually ask to see them even when the Patter mentions it.

We have never once, in all our cruises, been asked for photo ID to get into the secure areas around the ships. The only time anything similar happened was this year when we were disembarking in Port Said and we had to show our passports with our visas in them before we could get off the ship. Other than that, as I say, we have never shown photo ID. However, the ship daily information sheets more often than not said that we should take photo ID with us.

We were just in Halifax, one of the ports that check for photo ID. Our friend forgot his. The authorities had a duplicate passenger list with his photo. After checking everything out he was allowed to board. It all depends on the port.

My wife and I always carry our photo ID along with a copy of our passports, just in case..

We have never once, in all our cruises, been asked for photo ID to get into the secure areas around the ships. The only time anything similar happened was this year when we were disembarking in Port Said and we had to show our passports with our visas in them before we could get off the ship. Other than that, as I say, we have never shown photo ID. However, the ship daily information sheets more often than not said that we should take photo ID with us.

Have you been to St. Thomas (Havensight), Nassau, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Aruba, Curacao, Ocho Rios, Boston, Halifax, St John (New Brunswick), Bar Harbor??? These are just some of the ports where you need to show photo ID to the local port authority before you can get into the secure area around the ship.

Do you need to carry your driver license to show to get back on ship along with your room key from shore excursion?

I just returned from the R/T 14-day cruise to Hawaii and we had to show photo ID along with our cruise card to the port authority at all of our stops. Even if you were on a Princess bus tour they would come aboard your bus and check everyone before the bus could proceed into the sceured area. After getting past that, boarding the ship just required the cruise card.

This was done at all the Hawaii ports and our stop in Ensenada.

~

Tracy

We have always had to show photo ID before boarding the ship in any port, along with our ship card. That's one of the purposes of a passport..which I carry with me whenever I leave the country. (I keep a copy in the cabin safe, and another in my luggage, should I lose the passport).

I do not take my passport ashore, UNLESS there is a notice in the Patter saying that specific document is required to access the port area.

I do always take my DL ashore, and I also carry a color copy of the photo page of my passport that I made using my scanner. I KNOW it has no "legal" standing, but it was recommended to me by a person who has taken many cruises worldwide as a backup piece of ID.

I do not take my passport ashore, UNLESS there is a notice in the Patter saying that specific document is required to access the port area.

I do always take my DL ashore, and I also carry a color copy of the photo page of my passport that I made using my scanner. I KNOW it has no "legal" standing, but it was recommended to me by a person who has taken many cruises worldwide as a backup piece of ID.

Agreed. Passports stay in the ship safe unless told otherwise. I haven't yet been anywhere exotic enough to actually require a passport when off the ship! In my limited cruising experience, I have always taken my DL and cruise card when on shore and that has worked perfectly.

Most of the time, we haven't had to show it even if they say so in the Patter. In fact, this last cruise was pretty much the first time we remembered needing to show it.

But having it and not needing it is infinitely better than needing it and not having it. So we always carry it and a copy of our passport.

We always carry our drivers licenses and a copy of our passports when we leave the ship. Most ports ask for photo i.d. with the cruise card. We leave the passports locked in the safe unless the ship recommends carrying them.

Also on our TA this past spring, many of the merchants in the European ports asked for photo i.d. when using charge cards as another measure of security. We especially noticed this in Seville.

Have you been to St. Thomas (Havensight), Nassau, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Aruba, Curacao, Ocho Rios, Boston, Halifax, St John (New Brunswick), Bar Harbor??? These are just some of the ports where you need to show photo ID to the local port authority before you can get into the secure area around the ship.

Well we have been to Grand Cayman (twice), St Thomas (Havensight),

Cozumel (twice), Ochos Rios, Aruba, Curacao and have never shown any photo ID:confused: It might be a recent thing but the first four ports have all been visited in the past three years. If the patter says to take photo ID then we do, but we have never been asked to show anything other than our cruise cards.

As has been said, it depends on where you go as to whether you need a picture ID or not. Most answers indicate that it is in the Carribean where you need a picture ID. In all our travels I don't remember any place that asked for a picture ID to reboard the ship. All that has been asked for is the ship's cruise card. But, we have not traveled in the Carib. Guess I better start carrying a picture ID; times are changing.

I've had to show my driver's license in HI ports, and we've been told to have photo identification with us in ports in the Baltics (of course, you need a passport for St. Petersburg), British Isles, Mediterranean, South America, etc. I'd say we've been told to bring photo ID more often than not.

We had to on our Australia / New Zealand cruise as well. They wanted to see passports, not DLs. They even waited patiently for us to produce the passport for the 6 month old baby. We didn't take it one out because we thought the adults and the 3 YO were good enough, but they said everyone and they meant everyone.

Hawaii, they checked picture ID and cruise card. Tahiti, only the cruise card was needed.

But then at FAAA, they didn't even make you take out the liquids from your carry ons (DH forgot, and even though they were in his carry on, they passed him right through the scanners) Announcements said you had to remove them, but nobody really paid any attention. And shoes didn't have to be removed either before going through security.

So, I think this all depends on the security of the port you are visiting.

Many times we have needed both picture ID and cruise card to reboard the ship, but just as many times, we haven't.

It does seem to depend on the port and even those rules vary in the same country. Some Mexico ports and all Hawaii ports are very particular about seeing a picture ID.

Along with our drivers' licenses, we carry a copy of our passports. We made a copy of the first page of the passport, reduced it, then had it laminated. Works well when you're snorkeling, going to the beach or getting it bent. It's about the size of a credit card. It is only a copy and wouldn't act as the real thing, but the numbers are all there which could facilitate getting a new one more quickly.

Archived