Hotel Jazz or Hotel Arts

marlong

I don't know about the Arts ... but we stayed at the Jazz and thought it was great. Very conveniently located about a block off La Rambla at the Playa Catalunya end. There's even a Starbuck's a few feet away! The price was great (compared to other hotels), free wireless internet, a rooftop pool and comfortable rooms. Some describe it more as a new "businessman's hotel" meaning it's not "resort like." Not lots of bars, restaurants, etc. but very good facility. Especially since you're going to spend most of your time out of the hotel exploring wonderful Barcelona. We'd go back to the Jazz.

We stayed at the Jazz also. Very nice hotel. Modern facility and newer. Apparently the lower floors hear the rumble of the metro, but we were on the 7th floor and fine. Breakfast was fine there and came with a special rate we booked on their hotel's web site. Use that site to book. Once you book, if the rate drops, just email for the lower cost and you will get it.

There is a small bar not many used and free internet. They will serve food and drinks up on the roof too. The desk staff knew English very well.

Location is very good. Between the University Square and the Catalunya Square. There's an aerobus from the airport that will drop you at the University Sq where you will walk maybe 2 blocks to the hotel. Simple. Fast. And inexpensive.

To get to the port, just step out of the hotel and go to the main street and flag someone down. Actually the desk told us that if they called a cab for us the charge would be a little more. The door man actually then walked the 50 ft with us to tell the cabbie ( that we flagged) in Spanish where we were going and the name of our ship. Once to the port, we pointed out the big X (celebrity) ship and we went straight there. Simple as pie.

Now if you ask me how much the cab was I have no idea. I'm thinking around 15-20 euro. Alot depends on the traffic.

Sorry not familiar with the other hotel.

We had four of us and luggage so we did have the front desk call for a taxi van. I don't remember the cost, but it was certainly very reasonable. There are all sorts of restaurants and cafes all along La Rambla. Or you can stroll down to the fabulous La Boqueria (I'm sure I spelled it wrong) and pick up some great fresh fruit and other treats there. Believe me, finding food and drink will be no problem in Barcelona!

How far is the Jazz from the airport? Also what good restaurants are nearby?

Maybe 20 min.

All the restaurants directly ON las Ramblas have average, at best, food. They are specifically geared toward the tourists. Very generic. Had one meal at the outdoor dining area in the median and it was NOT very good. But for the price of sitting in the middle of the action and people watching we were willing to put up with it. (Actually we split a paella that tasted like something out of a box...ie no seasoning, little protein etc. )

There are several nice restaurants inside the Gothic Area off Las Ramblas. You'll lnow which ones have good food as all the tables outdoors will be full with a long wait. We ate at one and waited at the bar indoors for probably an hour. (Eat at 7 or earlier and you won't wait long.)

There are also a couple restaurants away from Las Ramblas that are within blocks of the Jazz. Ask at the desk. We ate at one and it was wonderful. Food actually TASTED like we were in Spain. We had an array of tapas and enjoyed them all.

Sorry I can't help with the names. But ask at the desk and they'll steer you to whatever kind of food you'd like.

We stayed at Hotel jazz last month and really enjoyed our stay there, very convenient for everything. We ate at two restaurants off the Ramblas, both recommended by family and both coincidentally recommended by Rick Steves. One was La Creme Canela, which is just north of the Placa Reial in a little passage called Passatge de Madoz. Excellent meal but the place doesn't open till 8 pm which suited us and fills very quickly. The other place was on the Placa Reial called Les Quinze Nits, open air seating looking ut over the square, not as good as the other restaurant but still very enjoyable. We just had drinks on the Meridian restuarants of the Ramblas to people watch and saw the funniest mime show ever there. Enjoy Barcelona, we loved it!

Terry

For 1 night I would choose Hotel Jazz. The Hotel Arts is down by the beach, while Hotel Jazz is closer more of the attractions that you are going to want to see. There is a Tapas Restaurant on Rambla de Catalunya(Not the Ramblas, but just up from there) called Ciudad Condial that is very good. About a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually wasn't comparing any "stars." I don't at all mind spending a lot of money on a hotel ... if I plan on spending a significant amount of time in it. I was simply recommending the Jazz because I'm guessing you'll be out-and-about in this amazing city from morning to night. We were back at the hotel only in the late evening so, spending 250 euro+ for a place to stay didn't make much sense to us. The Jazz was a wonderful hotel and we paid 95 euro in July.

We're staying at the Hotel Jazz for our post cruise stay in 2010 having stayed there before after a cruise. Very nice hotel and close to the Ramblas and Placa Catalunya. You can get the Aerobus from the airport and get off at the Universitat stop (Hope I got all those spellings correct!).

We stayed at the ARts two weeks ago for one night before our cruise. The reservation was completely screwed up, apparently a recurring theme for people who use Marriott points there. Other than that, the hotel was spectacular! We had a view from the 17th floor towards the Sagrada Familia and an easy 5 minute walk to the Subway. It was easy and cheap to get to the Ship on Saturday. If you don't mind spending BIG bucks it's fabulous!

We're staying at the Hotel Jazz for our post cruise stay in 2010 having stayed there before after a cruise. Very nice hotel and close to the Ramblas and Placa Catalunya. You can get the Aerobus from the airport and get off at the Universitat stop (Hope I got all those spellings correct!).

Hi, peteukmcr, we just booked Hotel Jazz for a three-night post-cruise stay in mid-May. Due to the early discount rate (which is sans breakfast), it is an extra 34 Euros per night for breakfast (because it is regular rate only). We never have stayed at a hotel in Europe without breakfast included, but we are unwilling to spend $50 for that meal.

Are there any chocolate and churros places nearby so we can eat breakfast fairly rapidly, return to our hotel if necessary and start off our tourist day without wasting too much time?

Hi neverenoughtime

We are booked at the Hotel Arts in February post cruise.

Can you let me know what the problem was with check in with points, so that if it happens to us, we will be prepared with what to do.

Did you have breakfast at the hotel or did you find somewhere in the neighborhood for breakfast?

Did you use public transportation returning in the evening, or did you use a taxi?

How safe is the area in the evening?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lorraine

I chose Jazz for the location, price, and reviews. I realize that there are hotels that are fancier and nicer. We are spending so much cash on this upcoming cruise that this is one spot I don't mind saving. I took the special without the breakfast and heard that there are many places to get decent breakfasts at Ramblas.

Hi neverenoughtime

We are booked at the Hotel Arts in February post cruise.

Can you let me know what the problem was with check in with points, so that if it happens to us, we will be prepared with what to do.

Did you have breakfast at the hotel or did you find somewhere in the neighborhood for breakfast?

Did you use public transportation returning in the evening, or did you use a taxi?

How safe is the area in the evening?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lorraine

We confirmed with Marriott 3 times so thought we were set. You have to have an orange voucher that Marriott has to both issue ( an extra step for them) and snail mail to you. Without the orange voucher your reservation number and email confirmation ( even in hardcopy) are useless. Anything Marriott confirms on their reservation system will not be in the Ritz's system. Seems ridiculous since Marriott owns Ritz but I'm a platinum member and it was a huge hassle.

We used public trans everywhere. Felt very safe but did meet a band of pickpockets on the subway our first 20 minutes in Barcelona!! We had everything tucked away safely so they got nothing but you can't believe how brazen they are. We were on our way to the hotel from the airport and had luggage on a crowded subway car. We were prime targets so be careful. The area around the Arts was very clean and safe. Lots of tourists and business people milling around. No worries.

We did have breakfast at the hotel. Outrageously expensive but fabulous! Again screwed up with the reservation so make sure Marriott puts it in writing. Plenty of places on the beach to eat also.

Good Luck!

Thank you for your helpful Marriott information. I will contact them in early December for my voucher so that I will have plenty of time to get "the orange one". We are going in mid February and hopefully we will have all the proper documentation by then.

We will be staying at the Arts for three nights, so breakfast might be an option only one day!

Lorraine

I chose Jazz for the location, price, and reviews. I realize that there are hotels that are fancier and nicer. We are spending so much cash on this upcoming cruise that this is one spot I don't mind saving. I took the special without the breakfast and heard that there are many places to get decent breakfasts at Ramblas.

Ljberkow, thanks.

Location, price and reviews - an excellent and succinct summation of our reasoning as well!:)

Booked the Jazz yesterday for €134 incl breakfast. Glad I did, today the rate is €174! Room without breakfast yesterday was €110, so €24 for their breakfast is a good deal. I don't like having to go out for my morning tea as being in Spain there won't be tea/coffee facilities in the room. That's very rare in Spain and many other European hotels.

Booked the Jazz yesterday for €134 incl breakfast. Glad I did, today the rate is €174! Room without breakfast yesterday was €110, so €24 for their breakfast is a good deal. I don't like having to go out for my morning tea as being in Spain there won't be tea/coffee facilities in the room. That's very rare in Spain and many other European hotels.

It is amazing how often the room rates changed. We had several folks on our cruise who made reservations, canceled them, and then rebooked two or three times. We ended up with a 95euro rate at the Jazz in July.

€24 ($36) seems pretty high for breakfast, anyone's breakfast. I got a rate of €100 without breakfast. I guess I'll go to tripadvisor and find a decent breakfast place around that area.

Just to be clear ... our 95 euro rate at The Jazz was also without breakfast. We wanted the experience of wandering La Rambla to a nice cafe for morning breaksfast. There is also a Starbuck's right next door to the hotel. A couple we were traveling with strolled down to La Boqueria (the great market!!) and purchased some cut fruit and coffee. Lot's of breakfast possibilities if you don't want the typical hotel breakfast.

Just to be clear ... our 95 euro rate at The Jazz was also without breakfast. We wanted the experience of wandering La Rambla to a nice cafe for morning breaksfast. There is also a Starbuck's right next door to the hotel. A couple we were traveling with strolled down to La Boqueria (the great market!!) and purchased some cut fruit and coffee. Lot's of breakfast possibilities if you don't want the typical hotel breakfast.

Thanks BG25. Mine for next year is €101.12. I can pass on the $72 combined for breakfast for my wife and I. Starbucks or the market will do and we'll spend our money on dinner and drinks.

Archived