Hotel Jazz or Hotel Arts

marlong

Thanks BG25. Mine for next year is €101.12. I can pass on the $72 combined for breakfast for my wife and I. Starbucks or the market will do and we'll spend our money on dinner and drinks.

I mentioned that I thought €24 was a good deal for 2 of us for breakfast. €12 pp for breakfast in Europe is not unusual. Please remember, the prices aren't as good you guys get in the US.

No offence, but you maybe surprised at the prices in Starbucks in Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if a coffee & pastry will come to around €8 pp. Hopefully I'm wrong.

yes, it is always an eyeopener for us when we travel in Europe. what my husband always says: what you pay over here in dollars, you pay over there in euros. and he has been correct!

but what a fascinating continent Europe is, so we just enjoy our time there and accept the cost of the food, lodgings,etc. (of course, we do check beforehand the price on the menu, etc.):)

yes, it is always an eyeopener for us when we travel in Europe. what my husband always says: what you pay over here in dollars, you pay over there in euros. and he has been correct!

but what a fascinating continent Europe is, so we just enjoy our time there and accept the cost of the food, lodgings,etc. (of course, we do check beforehand the price on the menu, etc.):)

That's why we like travelling to the US, £10 is worth around $16 at the moment and other Europeans who have the Euro as their currency (not yet here in the UK, nor in the near future either!) do nearly as well when visiting you guys!:) That's why we like cruising out of Florida!

We find it harder when travelling to mainland Europe, 2 years ago we'd get around €15 for every £10, now it's more like only €11. :(

So 2 years ago the rate at the Hotel Jazz would have only cost us around £90, next year it'll be around £120!

I've looked at restaurant prices for decent dinners and they aren't that bad. The $72 breakfast for two at Hotel Jazz just seems a bit much. As far as hotel prices go, the Jazz rates are pretty cheap, especially compared with typical US prices in major cities.

I've looked at restaurant prices for decent dinners and they aren't that bad. The $72 breakfast for two at Hotel Jazz just seems a bit much. As far as hotel prices go, the Jazz rates are pretty cheap, especially compared with typical US prices in major cities.

Sorry but I don't understand where you get that breakfast at the Jazz costs $72 for 2. The average rate for breakfast for 2 is around €24 which at most depending on the exchange rate will come to $34. I've checked several dates and the difference between the room rate and the additional for breakfast ranges from €22 - €24 for 2 people.

I mentioned that I thought €24 was a good deal for 2 of us for breakfast. €12 pp for breakfast in Europe is not unusual. Please remember, the prices aren't as good you guys get in the US.

No offence, but you maybe surprised at the prices in Starbucks in Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if a coffee & pastry will come to around €8 pp. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Most mainstream hotels in most US cities (especially the major cities) have about the same cost for higher for a breakfast buffet as I saw in Barcelona. I paid €10 in Barcelona at the Banys Hotel Orientals for an amazing breakfast - totally worth it. I've paid $20 - $25 in NYC, Boston, Chicago, and Denver for much less.

Sorry but I don't understand where you get that breakfast at the Jazz costs $72 for 2. The average rate for breakfast for 2 is around €24 which at most depending on the exchange rate will come to $34. I've checked several dates and the difference between the room rate and the additional for breakfast ranges from €22 - €24 for 2 people.

Hi, petukmcr, as per my post #15 above, the cost for breakfast was an extra 34 Euros per night, which is about $51 US, when I booked using the early booking rate a few weeks ago in early November. That is because the early booking rate does not include breakfast and why I asked about anyplace with chocolate and churros nearby.

I am used to my European hotels including breakfast in the rate. In fact, this will be the very first time in our many years of European travel (England, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Greece, Istanbul and Italy) that breakfast was not included in the rate.

I too thought that more than $25 per person was a bit steep for this class of hotel. I have accepted that, and simply will go elsewhere for breakfast. Any nearby recs (other than Starbucks)?

Pam

Sorry, I thought it was 24 euros per person. The 24 or $36 (that's half of 72) isn't that bad for 2.

We confirmed with Marriott 3 times so thought we were set. You have to have an orange voucher that Marriott has to both issue ( an extra step for them) and snail mail to you. Without the orange voucher your reservation number and email confirmation ( even in hardcopy) are useless. Anything Marriott confirms on their reservation system will not be in the Ritz's system. Seems ridiculous since Marriott owns Ritz but I'm a platinum member and it was a huge hassle.

Hi

We too, are platinum members, but I did get on the phone with the Marriott today. Our trip is in February, but this will give me enough time to get the certificate. The operator said there was a yellow certificate that he would snail mail to us. I guess this is the "orange" certificate you mentioned.

We have used points internationally in the past (before email/etc) and always had a certificate, so I guess this is nothing new.

I agree with you that with a printed confirmation and number this does seem like a waste of time, but thank you for giving me the "heads-up"

Thanks for all the other hints.

Lorraine :)

We recently stayed at Hotel Jazz for 1 nite pre-cruise & enjoyed it very much. It’s a modern boutique hotel at the top of La Rambla between Placa Catalunya & Placa Universitat. Ideal location for independent exploring.

We had reserved a Jazz room for E101 sans breakfast. We asked for a higher-floor upon check-in & ended up with a lovely 6th floor room at the back of the hotel overlooking a feeder steet for La Rambla. The room was spacious by any standard with a comfortable king bed, small sitting area & personal safe. The bathroom was well supplied although the soap was pretty paltry! Everything was spotless. We were there on a Friday nite, yet street noise was not an issue.

Check-out was 12 noon. We asked for later check-out but they were busy & only able to give us another ½ hr till 12:30 pm. Reception staff offered to store our luggage after that. We returned to Hotel Jazz at 12:15 pm only to discover that our key card had already been disabled! We sorted that out (they weren’t very friendly about it) and checked out. We decided not to leave our luggage with them once we discovered that the secure spot was actually out in full view & unattended! But in fairness, they were very busy & perhaps would have moved it to a locked place later.

We liked Hotel Jazz & have already reserved to stay there again for 2 nites when we return to Barcelona next spring. Great value in an excellent location.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't mean to highjack this thread but: a quick question. We love Hotel Jazz and also have stayed at the Marriott at the airport. Dumb question: How do you use Marriott points for Hotel Arts? It does not list as part of Marriott. Thanks!

Don't mean to highjack this thread but: a quick question. We love Hotel Jazz and also have stayed at the Marriott at the airport. Dumb question: How do you use Marriott points for Hotel Arts? It does not list as part of Marriott. Thanks!

Hi

I just booked the Arts with Marriott points.

Call the Marriott reservation number, and they will make the reservation at the Arts for you. Be sure to ask them to mail the "yellow" certificate to you. We received the email confirmation, however an earlier poster said they had trouble when registering with the email, so be sure you get the "yellow" certificate from Marriott via snail mail.

When you make the reservation you will have to guarantee with your credit card, so that is why it is important to have the "yellow" certificate in your hand when you check in

Hope this answers your question.

Lorraine :)

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know about the Arts ... but we stayed at the Jazz and thought it was great. Very conveniently located about a block off La Rambla at the Playa Catalunya end. There's even a Starbuck's a few feet away! The price was great (compared to other hotels), free wireless internet, a rooftop pool and comfortable rooms. Some describe it more as a new "businessman's hotel" meaning it's not "resort like." Not lots of bars, restaurants, etc. but very good facility. Especially since you're going to spend most of your time out of the hotel exploring wonderful Barcelona. We'd go back to the Jazz.

Big Guy or anyone who has stayed at the Jazz Hotel in Barcelona

Can someone give me the hotels' email address. Everyone says to book directly with the hotel.

I've googled it and only came up with hotel searches who's prices are $648 for 3 nites in mid May 2010 plus tax. Any other suggestions for getting a better price?

Thanks

Pat

We have reservations for here for our cruise in April. I had just posted this infomation----guess it was missed.

Yep ... I saw it .. but you had the wrong web-address! To avoid confusion I wanted to make sure I listed the right one.

Yep ... I saw it .. but you had the wrong web-address! To avoid confusion I wanted to make sure I listed the right one.

Ooops! Thanks! I did not do a cut and paste and I misspelled Barcelona!!! But I checked with the correct spelling and both of the links take you to the same website???? That seems strange! Thanks, again! We definitely got a better rate by booking directly with the hotel.

We were at the Jazz mid Oct and had a great stay. The location is perfect and the area appears very safe. It's at the University metro stop and lots of restaurants close by. The hotel is well above our, US, standards for a 3 star. I highly recommend this hotel to any interested. Be sure to have a roof top drink :) Happy cruising

We were at the Jazz mid Oct and had a great stay. The location is perfect and the area appears very safe. It's at the University metro stop and lots of restaurants close by. The hotel is well above our, US, standards for a 3 star. I highly recommend this hotel to any interested. Be sure to have a roof top drink :) Happy cruising

Thanks for your post. We have three days there post-cruise in mid-May and look forward to our first visit to Barcelona.

Archived