Is River Cruising Really This Miserable?

drcpa

I have never taken a river cruise but was considering the idea.

This board has made it crystal clear that a river cruise is not like an ocean cruise.

However, until reading this board, I had always considered river cruising as a reasonable, enjoyable vacation alternative. Again, appreciating that it is different from a land tour or ocean cruise,

Now, I'm not so sure.

Since joining this board I've read about;

* River levels that turn cruises into prolonged bus trips

* Restricted use of onboard credits

* Power and water outages

* Poor air quality and air conditioning

* Engine failure and unacceptable levels of engine noise

* Improper/faulty emergency equipment

* Limited deck space

* Uninformed, unattentive, untrained, understaffed, unpleasant, rude, sarcastic, crew and staff

* Poorly maintained and unclean vessels

* Deplorable food

* Mediocre tours

* Unsympathetic and uncommunicative staff reference special needs passengers

* Unresponsive corporate offices

For service like that I could re-enlist in the army and let them pay for my transportation.

You will find if you look through all the comments on cruise critic for Ocean & River Cruises that the negatives are much more obvious than the positives. It appears that those who enjoy the experience are not as verbal as those who do not enjoy the experience.

I just spent a week on the QM2 when in France many of the US passengers were "incensed and disgusted" that the merchants in France would not take dollars. "After all we won the war for them"

I have taken more than 20 river cruises. No, they have not all been perfect. If they were not perfect they were very enjoyable.

Yes................. This is not an ocean cruise.

No Waves

Shore Excursions included

Wine with diner

Visit great cities that you could not get to on an ocean cruise

Eat with whom you please

Unpack once

Walk ashore in the middle of town

Just returned from our 11th river cruise and only one has not met our expectations. It is a most enjoyable way to travel and meet English speaking from all over the world. Never out of sight of land and not a wave in sight. We have 2 more booked for next year and can't wait. You MUST do research before you travel on the rivers, so that you know what could happen. We are blessed to never hava had a trip turn into a bus trip. Don't let our rantings about 1 or 2 lines put you off. Give it a try.

Pat

As usual those that have negative comments are much more vocal than those who have a postive experience. I have noticed on here recently that the same people keep commenting over and over about their negative experience like we didn't understand them the first time. :eek: They get an axe to grind and boy do they grind it.I get really sick of hearing about it on EVERY post.I understood it the first time and will be cautious about who I travel with.I also have traveled with people who just don't understand why they won't take USD in foreign countries. Those people should stay home where their money is accepted.:D

We took a Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise 2 years ago on Avalon and loved it.Best vaca we ever had. We have just reserved the Burgundy/Provence cruise on Avalon for next April.We have taken 7 trips to Europe and river cruising is by far the best,most relaxing way to travel.If you don't want to do it don't. Anytime we travel we must expect that not everything will be exactly the way it is at home. I would not want it to be.

I agree that right now I would not book a cruise on Viking or Scenic because of all the recent complaints regarding the way they handle problems.I probably would not book Vantage either as they seem to be having financial problems. You have not read those complaints regarding AMA,Avalon,Uniworld and Tauck., I can't afford Tauck but would definitely book on any of the other 3.If you plan your cruise for May,June or July you can be pretty sure the river levels will not be a problem.We booked our next cruise for late April and are fully aware the water levels might be high. We got a great 2 for 1 price and decided it was worth the risk. One thing I know I can be sure of is that Avalon will handle any problem in an honest and fair way.Avalon is part of Globus and we have taken several tours with Globus and know what a great job they do.That is why we chose Avalon originally to do our first river cruise.

I have never been on a river cruise; my first one is booked for next October, and I can't wait. I'm sure it will be a very different experience from ocean cruising, but I can't imagine it being miserable.

Some vacations are great, others are not as great but still vacations nonetheless.

The way I look at it, if you don't go, you won't know.

drpca -

No, river cruising is not like "big ship" cruising... And there are very few (if any) perfect vacations... And - I am one of the people that wrote about some of the things that did not quite live up to my expectations. But - that is not to say that I would not do a river cruise again. Quite the opposite, actually, I have at least 3 more that I would like to do.

I have thought a lot about your posting since reading it last night. And - have thought about it in another way - and compared it to going to a restaurant.

If I ordered steak in a restaurant, and it did not meet my expectations, I doubt that I would stop ordering steak just because of that one experience. I also doubt that I would stop going to that restaurant - just because that one item on the menu was not what I expected it to be. If there were multiple issues (ie: food cold, service slow or rude, overpriced, too noisy) then I might rethink a return visit.

I commented on the wait staff on my recent AMA cruise. This one issue is not enough to make me stop cruising - or prevent me from cruising with AMA again. What happened on this cruise, however, made me aware of the fact that the universities in the area that we cruised start their fall semester in early October - so I will try to stay away from a cruise in that time frame if I don't want to (potentially) experience the same issue with inexperienced staff. I also posted that here, so that other CCers will be aware of that issue. If the cruise I want (with the best price point) crosses this time frame in the future, I will go --> but will be aware of the possibility that I will again encounter "new" wait staff.

I think that all of the "negatives" you have mentioned can be (and probably have been) experienced on "big ships"... If someone is looking for a "perfect" vacation, then perhaps cruising isn't the best choice. You can always find something negative to say if you look long and hard enough.

I agree with pacmom... don't let a couple of "negative" comments put you off --> there are lots of positive comments here about this way of traveling.

Fran

If I had the choice between a river cruise, bus tour, or tour in Europe with car//////no question. A River Cruise,for sure. I ve been on both Ocean and River Cruises and enjoy BOTH.Just different. I, too, have made complaints about some ships but praised others too.Just do your homework, find area you want to see, research ships and cruiseline,read reviews .. then pick one.Anytime you can see Europe, or elsewhere, on the comfort of a riverboat......I say GO FOR IT..... life is short.ENJOY!!:)

If I had the choice between a river cruise, bus tour, or tour in Europe with car//////no question. A River Cruise,for sure. I ve been on both Ocean and River Cruises and enjoy BOTH.Just different. I, too, have made complaints about some ships but praised others too.Just do your homework, find area you want to see, research ships and cruiseline,read reviews .. then pick one.Anytime you can see Europe, or elsewhere, on the comfort of a riverboat......I say GO FOR IT..... life is short.ENJOY!!:)

I agree. I have done both - just returned from a New England cruise that ended in rough seas. It's the chance you take, can't control weather. Also had great meals, and so so ones. That's just part of it. We went on a Viking Danube cruise last April. Can't say enougth GOOD things about it. And that was the 1st cruise out for the season with a staff that was not familiar working together. We enjoyed it so much we have have booked the Viking Tulips & Windmills for April 2010. And even after reading all the negative, I am still thinking of booking the Viking Legend for a 2010 Christmas Market Tour in 2010. I have done bus tours in Europe, and while we enjoyed it there is nothing like cruising down the river. Research the different cruise lines and go for it. I'm sure you will enjoy.

Karen

drcpa,

It does seem like a lot of the river cruising issues regarding water levels occur at the same times of the year. If you select your cruise dates properly, you should be able to avoid these most frustrating of problems. If you pick one of the more highly regarded river cruise lines you should find that your other concerns will be minimal. Our AMA Danube River cruise was an absolutely wonderful experience. You can read about it and see lots of photos on our website www.thepreismans.com .

The reason you want to do a river cruise is to see wonderful ports that can't be seen from an ocean cruise. In addition, cruising down a river seeing the beautiful countryside is a wonderful experience. A river cruise is a lot better to me than a land tour. It is something you should certainly try; but do it on a decent line and at the right time of year to avoid pitfalls.

drcpa,

It does seem like a lot of the river cruising issues regarding water levels occur at the same times of the year. If you select your cruise dates properly, you should be able to avoid these most frustrating of problems. If you pick one of the more highly regarded river cruise lines you should find that your other concerns will be minimal. Our AMA Danube River cruise was an absolutely wonderful experience. You can read about it and see lots of photos on our website www.thepreismans.com .

The reason you want to do a river cruise is to see wonderful ports that can't be seen from an ocean cruise. In addition, cruising down a river seeing the beautiful countryside is a wonderful experience. A river cruise is a lot better to me than a land tour. It is something you should certainly try; but do it on a decent line and at the right time of year to avoid pitfalls.

What times of the year are the most problematic on the Danube for river cruising?

drcpa,

There is only one word to describe the reviews that are on your website, OUTSTANDING!! Thanks for taking the time to prepare the reviews and the pictures made me feel like I had almost taken the trips myself.

What times of the year are the most problematic on the Danube for river cruising?

When we went in June was supposed to be a good time of year; but you need to ask an expert like Steamboats who really knows when the least risky times of year are.

There is only one word to describe the reviews that are on your website, OUTSTANDING!! Thanks for taking the time to prepare the reviews and the pictures made me feel like I had almost taken the trips myself.

Thank you so much. Your thoughts are most appreciated.

When we went in June was supposed to be a good time of year; but you need to ask an expert like Steamboats who really knows when the least risky times of year are.

I won´t call myself an expert but a local :D. Mid May - Mid July should be very good months. So are usually September til Mid October. But as no one can make a longterm weather forecast no one can make a forecast for river levels either. We had years with hot and dry Augusts causing low water levels. We had two years with extense rainfall and floodings in August.

You simply have to be aware of the fact that weather can influence your cruise itinerary. Actually for me it´s part of the river cruise fun!

And BTW most of the cruises go as scheduled. Usually it´s only a handfull of cruises which might be affected by low or high water throughout a whole season. More than 90% go as scheduled.

steamboats

This board has made it crystal clear that a river cruise is not like an ocean cruise.

However, until reading this board, I had always considered river cruising as a reasonable, enjoyable vacation alternative. Again, appreciating that it is different from a land tour or ocean cruise,

Now, I'm not so sure.

* Limited deck space

* Uninformed, unattentive, untrained, understaffed, unpleasant, rude, sarcastic, crew and staff

* Deplorable food

* Mediocre tours

For service like that I could re-enlist in the army and let them pay for my transportation.

not on Avalon's Tapestry last month. It was wonderful!

My only experience of a River Cruise was the former Easycruise2 which was totally no frills whatsoever. This was one of the best holidays I have had due to a great group of fellow passengers. I am off to Egypt tomorrow with my 2 sons for a Thompson Nile Cruise. Then in August solo on a croisieurope Danube trip. Looking forward to both as I prefer the idea of smaller vessels.

Now, I'm not so sure.

* Limited deck space

* Deplorable food

* Mediocre tours

We took a AMA Danube River cruise three years ago and it was wonderful. Yes, at one point the river was high (it was in April) and we needed to be bussed and fed lunch at a restaurant (AMA paid for it) and I wondered if AMA lost money on that cruise. But the point is, if the water level is high and the ship cannot traverse the river, we found that AMA took very good care of us and that we didn't miss much, if any, of our itinerary and actually got to see more. A reputible cruise line, as mentioned, Tauck, Uniworld, AMA, will do their utmost to give you a pleasant experience no matter what AOG occurs. In April 2009 we took a Uniworld Rhine River cruise and were just as happy with Uniworld as with AMA. While we did not have high water levels, the staff obviously went out of their way to make everything as perfect as they could. Try it, you might like it. But, if not, different strokes for different folks. I know some who do not like ocean cruising and I say "what's not to like." Even on an ocean cruise there are AOG and ports are sometimes missed, but the cruise contract states that, so you know going in that some things can happen beyond the cruise line's control.

Been reading drcpa's post about are river cruises miserable over and over trying to understand it and I didn't want to respond on the negative. I gather this person has never been on a river cruise but only big liners with gobs of people and many decks with all kind of entertainment. Maybe I was wrong reading that into his/her post. Anyway I would tell that person that many people on this site have different ideas on river cruises. I have never been on a big boat but have been on two river cruises and will be taking another one next August. Small river boats for me are more personable, gives one a chance to meet other people (with whom I still stay in contact and visit when in their state). Entertainment is minimal but local entertainers brought on board. I think river cruises are more laid back and that works for me. I would not knock big boats unless I tried one. Granted small, 150-170 person river boats are not for everyone but one should at least try it. Might find that that person would like it. For me it works. My suggestion to drcpa would be to give it a shot. That's my two cents. Willard

Been reading drcpa's post about are river cruises miserable over and over trying to understand it and I didn't want to respond on the negative. I gather this person has never been on a river cruise but only big liners with gobs of people and many decks with all kind of entertainment. Maybe I was wrong reading that into his/her post. Anyway I would tell that person that many people on this site have different ideas on river cruises. I have never been on a big boat but have been on two river cruises and will be taking another one next August. Small river boats for me are more personable, gives one a chance to meet other people (with whom I still stay in contact and visit when in their state). Entertainment is minimal but local entertainers brought on board. I think river cruises are more laid back and that works for me. I would not knock big boats unless I tried one. Granted small, 150-170 person river boats are not for everyone but one should at least try it. Might find that that person would like it. For me it works. My suggestion to drcpa would be to give it a shot. That's my two cents. Willard

NPPHOTOG, respectfully, you missed my point.

I came to this board open-minded and quite fascinated about river cruising.

In fact, I'm planning a 2010 Christmas cruise even as we speak.

I tried to make it clear that (a) I fully understood and appreciated that river cruising was not like ocean cruising and (b) I didn't expect that it was or even want it to be so. I am 100% interested in a new travel experience.

What I was quoting was statements from other posters over just a few days, a string of negative, unhappy, sometimes bitter comments. These are not my opinions, but rather the postings from people who I believe to be far more experienced than I.

Frankly, all this negativity worried me.

I unintentionally (my fault) gave people the impression I was negatively comparing river and ocean cruises and was dissatisfied with the results. That is not the case.

drcpa - Sorry if I missed you point. I only know that we have been very pleased with river crusing. Apologize if any of my remarks offended anyone but we have been very pleased with our experiences. Not saying that the next one we take will not measure up to the one's in the past. We have signed up for a Eastern Europe and the Black Sea cruise next August. At times I seem to rant on and on, maybe that was the case on my recent remarks. Hope you have an enjoyable upcoming trip. Willard

Willard, my apologies as well....I did not mean to come across as strident or critical.

I value everyone's opinion on this board and did not mean to imply otherwise.

Again, my apologies if it came across as anything but appreciative of your comments.

Archived