Nutritional Information

Jods00

There is no place to get the calories. They do have what is called

"Vitality Selections" on the menus that are for health conscious people counting calories.

There are alternative menu choices for calorie counters. Selections such as a Chicken breast, Baked Potato, Steak and a Fish. This is available every night of the week on the menu.

I don't think a cruise is the right vacation for somebody counting calories. Take a break and enjoy the cruise unless you are counting calories for some medical reason.

Posting nutrition information would probably benefit the cruise line though. If people knew how many calories they were consuming they might think twice about consuming the two entree and six deserts allowing the CL to cut down on waste and food cost.

Seriously if you are really into counting calories on a cruise then you need to study nutrition before the cruise and make your selections accordingly. Actually with the variety on board, it is your choice. There is nothing wrong with ordering the salad in the MDR and asking it to be served with the main courses. And then the French women have it right - eat 3 bites of each course. For me, I frequently only order the entre and forget the appitizer, soup/salad, and desert. Now if I could stay away from the fresh baked breads . . .

I am surprised by your question, if you are really into the nutritional aspects of food, you will know what foods supply what benefits or not. I would be impossible to state what ni is applicable to the food in the Windjammer, as it would depend on the portion size that you help yourself to. You could ask the Head Waiter to ask the Chef for you in the MDR, if neither of them has nothing better to do with their time. After all they are only catering for approx 15,000 meals a day.

OP - that's a good one! :D

Even when restaurants post nutritional information, it's usually waaaayyyyy off because the info is for the "ideal" serving. Sometimes the cook drops in an extra pat of butter, or maybe they scoop up a serving that is 20% larger than the standard.

Just be smart about your choices. A croissant is going to have more calories than a slice of rye bread. Skip the mac and cheese or potato salad at the salad bar. Say "no thanks" to the bread at dinner. Walk AWAY from Sorrento's pizza and Johnny Rockets! :)

I think it's a very valid question. I would love to see the information somewhere so I could make an informed decision comparing two selections that I otherwise prefer equally. I agree though, that for a cruise I can just use my judgement and in the long run I'll be OK.

I think most of the responses have been on target. If you are concerned about food calories, fat and sodium content you have educated yourself about appropriate food choices.

Now if I see on the menu the Lovely Videllia onion tart it will have a brief description so I will know if it has a crust or not, made with cream and butter and possibly parmesean or other cheese. With all of that info I can compare it to the shrimp cocktail - no butter, no cream, no sodium, etc.

Almost all of the foods have a brief description - if it has a sauce, fried, broiled etc. Most of the meat portions, except for the prime rib seem to be pretty close to what a standard serving should be. If the sauce is a problem - request no sauce or on the side.

Personally, I don't want to see that info on the menu, too much like being at Applebees or TGI Fridays and looking at the calorie conscious menu. :o

Plus, like was previously mentioned - there are Ship Shape items clearly marked.

The reason why I asked is because someone in our party just had heart problems this week and went to the hospital for a day. She is fine now, but the Dr. says she needs to start watching what she eats, watch her calories and her sodium intake. I'm sure by the time we sail in April she will be good at knowing what she can and can't eat, but she is concerned right now. This is going to be her first cruise and I want it to be great for her.

The reason why I asked is because someone in our party just had heart problems this week and went to the hospital for a day. She is fine now, but the Dr. says she needs to start watching what she eats, watch her calories and her sodium intake. I'm sure by the time we sail in April she will be good at knowing what she can and can't eat, but she is concerned right now. This is going to be her first cruise and I want it to be great for her.

Good luck with your friend, I hope she is much better by the time of your cruise.

As you wrote, she will probably be much more knowledgeable by the time of the cruise. She has 5+ months to practice.

The Windjammer buffet has an excellent selection of green salads and some grilled or roasted meats. Not every thing is breaded or fried. It also features selections of sugar free deserts.

The main dining room menu features what are called Ship Shape selections every evening. They are all regular menu items but are lower in fat and sauces. There is an option on he RCCL website to contact the Special Needs and special Diet department. Several posters on here have had experienced working with them and can give you info. I also think if you mention it the first day to your Head Waiter and Waiter they will take extra care with her food.

Have a wonderful cruise.

If it's heart problems one factor is sodium. I found myself swelling up when I was on the Grandeur last month. Being I didn't fly in for this cruise (I always blamed it on flying). It had to do with the amound of salt used in food preparation so be sure your friend points this out either before sailing (I think there is someplace to enter dietary needs) or once you go to dinner first night.

If you are concerned about the sodium content in the food, speak to the chef. I have always found RCCL to be very accommodating.

From the RCCL website:

What type of special meals does Royal Caribbean offer? - Royal Caribbean International A: We make every effort to accommodate our guests' dietary requirements whenever possible. We can accommodate dietary needs such as: Food allergies Gluten-free Kosher Low-fat Low-sodium Vegetarian Meals (including Indian-style vegetarian) are available on all menus in the Dining Room and Windjammer Cafe every day.

Call RCCL before your cruise and ask if any arrangements need to be made in advance. Enjoy your cruise!

OP - that's a good one! :D

Even when restaurants post nutritional information, it's usually waaaayyyyy off because the info is for the "ideal" serving. Sometimes the cook drops in an extra pat of butter, or maybe they scoop up a serving that is 20% larger than the standard.

Just be smart about your choices. A croissant is going to have more calories than a slice of rye bread. Skip the mac and cheese or potato salad at the salad bar. Say "no thanks" to the bread at dinner. Walk AWAY from Sorrento's pizza and Johnny Rockets! :)

Good advice, I am diabetic [since 1980] and in general am responsible for my own portion control ... just because some chef slops 2 cups of food onto my plate does not mean I have to eat the whole thing ... so I follow my normal portion control and don't eat any that is excess to what I would normally serve myself [steak or piece of meat the size of a deck of cards, half cup portion of mashed potatoes or vegetables, stuff like that. I also tend to ask for any sauces to be served on the side or eliminated. ]

Actually, it can actually be easier to eat from a buffet, I can take only what I need to eat, so I don't have a plate full of leftovers.

[and no I dont tend to splurge too much, I hate dealing with shooting up insulin in excess of my normal amounts. It is just easier to keep behaving than suffer health issues ;)]

Portion size....just don't eat more than the recommended SIZE of any given item....6 oz of meat,(about the size of a deck of cards), and you'll be fine. Veggies...go hog-wild!

Desserts---skip as many as possible!

As long as you don't overeat, you'll be ok! Counting calories isn't practical on a vacation, but sizes, you can totally do---by "eye"!

I am surprised by your question, if you are really into the nutritional aspects of food, you will know what foods supply what benefits or not. I would be impossible to state what ni is applicable to the food in the Windjammer, as it would depend on the portion size that you help yourself to. You could ask the Head Waiter to ask the Chef for you in the MDR, if neither of them has nothing better to do with their time. After all they are only catering for approx 15,000 meals a day.

When they do their recipes, they are usually for about 800 servings of soup. :D

Now that's a lot of calories. :eek:

If you are concerned about the sodium content in the food, speak to the chef. I have always found RCCL to be very accommodating.

From the RCCL website:

What type of special meals does Royal Caribbean offer? - Royal Caribbean International A: We make every effort to accommodate our guests' dietary requirements whenever possible. We can accommodate dietary needs such as: Food allergies Gluten-free Kosher Low-fat Low-sodium Vegetarian Meals (including Indian-style vegetarian) are available on all menus in the Dining Room and Windjammer Cafe every day.

Call RCCL before your cruise and ask if any arrangements need to be made in advance. Enjoy your cruise!

=Jods00;21863099]The reason why I asked is because someone in our party just had heart problems this week and went to the hospital for a day. She is fine now, but the Dr. says she needs to start watching what she eats, watch her calories and her sodium intake. I'm sure by the time we sail in April she will be good at knowing what she can and can't eat, but she is concerned right now. This is going to be her first cruise and I want it to be great for her.

Have your waiter get the Head Waiter the first night to come right to your table. He/She will go over the menu with you. Then every night he/she will come to your table and pick out your meal for the following night from the menu as far as the low sodium foods.

There was a lady at our table who needed them and this was done for her.

That is who arranged them, not the chef. ;)

They can also point out the healthy choice meals on the menus. ;)

The last place we need mohter governemnt telling us what is good for us is on a ship.

Let them run your life at home in the nanny state, but leave the decisions on a ship to yourself.

Some folks like to try make informed decisions. And for some of us that does not mean getting all of our information from Fox News!;);)

Seriously if you are really into counting calories on a cruise then you need to study nutrition before the cruise and make your selections accordingly. Actually with the variety on board, it is your choice. There is nothing wrong with ordering the salad in the MDR and asking it to be served with the main courses. And then the French women have it right - eat 3 bites of each course. For me, I frequently only order the entre and forget the appitizer, soup/salad, and desert. Now if I could stay away from the fresh baked breads . . .
Dear me, if I did not know better I would think that this was one of my posts. I start every cruise telling myself I will ignore the bread (have you ever had the bread basket in Portofino?) and by the second meal I have fallen off the wagon. Ah well, life's too short.

Personally I think the OP has a very valid question. I am a very healthy woman and I work out and watch my calories and even now I can be surprised. Even with my knowledge of nutrition ( I have taken classes and met with RD before) you can still be shocked to learn what you thought was a healthier selection was in fact more caloric than another option. This does not happen very often to me, but it still does so I do think every restaurant should post the nutitional content on the menu. Those that want to know, can look. Those that don't, don't.

But just because the ship says it is the healthier selection with their vitality identification I would like to know more. What is the protein, fat, saturated fat, calories etc. My husband and I work out daily and we like to make sure we are eating enough of everything and the easiest way to know that is to see it. Before we go out to eat we can usually locate this info on the restaurant's website so we can make the best selection when we get there.

And I disagree with the vacation attitude- just because I am on vacation does not mean I will let my health lapse. But I have had health issues in the past so I am very staunch about this. We will continue our fitness routine. If RCL does not want to post this on the menu fine, but I think they should have it posted somehwhere so the head waiters could bring it to those who do want to know. And if you don't fine. It is a personal choice and we are entitled either way :)

Archived