Half Moon Cay?

sail7seas

If you've had a cabana there in the past, do you feel you 'need' to book cabana again for your next stop there? If you've had a cabana and then not, were you sorry you didn't book one?

Thanks.

We booked a cabana on our second HAL cruise after reading about how wonderful they are and what a good time people had in them.

I have to say, it's $200 I wish I could get back. It wasn't worth it. Sure, the chips and salsa were nice, but certainly not worth $200.

Now we get a clamshell if we want a little shade and pocket the $184.

We've had a cabana twice, clamshell many times and this summer on the Carnival Liberty had the Grand Oasis...now that has spoiled me for just about anything else:D

My mobility and tolerance of the sun is not what it used to be so being able to get in out of the sun with a mister and A/C in the cabanas is nice...We are going back in September and if we don't have the Oasis will get a cabana.

I must say that having a clamshell seemed perfect to us until last Friday.

A group of us from our roll call booked the Oasis Cabana and OMG! It was amazing!

I think I will feel "put upon" going to HMC and not having the amazing level of service we experienced in the Oasis! And really, as there were 12 of us signed up, it was no more than if the two of us had just reserved a "normal" cabana!

If you've had a cabana there in the past, do you feel you 'need' to book cabana again for your next stop there? If you've had a cabana and then not, were you sorry you didn't book one?

Thanks.

Well, suffice it to say, that after our last stay in a cabana, with butler upgrade, DW wants to know if we can get the Noordam to divert out of the Med next August, and swing by HMC.

In lieu of that, we have agreed to do B2B 7 days routes in the Caribbean our next cruise, with 2 stops at HMC.

Does that answer the question???:D:D:D

We are spoiled for the Grand Oasis now too. We've had it three times and nothing else even comes close!!!

That said, it was already booked (and waitlisted) for our upcoming cruise, so I booked a cabana, but thinking of cancelling it as I just don't think we'll use it.

We've only been to HMC once, and rented a cabana specifically so I could have shade (I'm very fair-skinned). For me, it was money well-spent, and we have one reserved for our next cruise. Without a cabana, we would probably have done more exploring on the island - we didn't even get to the gift shops last time.

We always book a cabana...and were lucky enough to be in the grand once--and would go back without hesitation! We are cruising with a group in Feb and booked the "big one" but I can't get dh on board with booking it for our family of three in April!! :D We will book a regular cabana, though, as dh can't be in the sun for a whole day, and with a six year old, same goes..plus gives her a place to settle. Last year she loved the hammock--while our FABULOUS butler helped "swing" her.

One year we booked it was not a pleasant day (windy, cloudy and cold)...and felt a little compelled to stay and use it, instead of just heading back to the ship!

I have to say, it's $200 I wish I could get back. It wasn't worth it. Sure, the chips and salsa were nice, but certainly not worth $200.
They're now $299.

We don't stay on HMC very long, so don't even get a clamshell. We go over early, sit in the shade a while, eat lunch, and go back to the ship. (We live only a mile from a nice beach, and while our sand isn't as nice as HMC's, it's good enough!)

Last cruise we had a cabana and hubby loved it. He hates to be in the sun and the AC helped him cool off. Personally, I thought it was alot of money for what we got, but we did enjoy having the shade and snacks available. It was the last stop on a port-intensive cruise so we didn't really wander around the island much. We were in rest mode so took advantage of the loungers. Next HAL cruise, HMC is the first stop so maybe we'll wander around more. Hubby has already asked about getting a cabana, but the cruise isn't until April 2011. Cabanas aren't even posted yet! I'm sure we'll end up getting one again.

Unfortunately we've never actually been to HMC even with our 4 HAL cruises. The two times we were scheduled to stop there were issues. First time the Captain couldn't anchor safely so we just cruised around for a while before heading back to FLL. The second time - lo and behold it rained and there is nothing worse than a rainy day on the beach. So...who knows what will happen this time.

When the cabanas were first offered and our 2 sons were on school break, of course we rented the yellow cabana! It's great to surprise them! Just the 2 of us, we get a clamshell-no WOW factor necessary 'cause we're just happy to have the opportunity to get away! It is up to me to provide the surprises whether it is the chocolate covered berries-pinnacle dinner-or cabana!

We had a cabana on our last stop at HMC, and will not book one again in the future. Was it nice? Yes. Was it special? Yes. Was it worth the money? Not even close for us. Granted, we don't really need a lot of shade as we live in Cali and have sun year round...but it was a pretty big disappoinment for us.

We got spoiled after our first visit to HMC. Decided to rent a cabana. Ever since that time, we haven't been to HMC without one.

Those recently added chaise lounges are fabulous, what a great way to relax in paradise.

Ths is slightly off topic but I would love to rent the Grand Oasis or even get one of the cabanas for a holiday week sailing (New Year's). Is it possible to have a birthday celebration for my husband and son? You know, cake etc. It is my husband's 50th and my son's 12th. Absolutely love Half Moon Cay -- I think it is the best private island there is and better than some of the places the ships go.

DH and I have been to HMC twice, both times we had the pink cabana and one time we upped the ante and had butler service. We absolutely enjoyed the luxury of the day. I'm fine on a lounger in the sun but DH does not like the sun so at the time the cabana was definately worth it! We got to spend the WHOLE DAY at the beach!:D DH is usually done after 2 hours.

At the time, it was worth the money to us as we both work very long and hard hours and "deserve" the vacation we desire. Now, with the economy, its been 2 years since we have cruised. At this time, I would just love to be on a HAL cruise that stopped at HMC and I would happily lay my towel on the sand!;)

Having been to HMC twice, and booked a cabana both times, I would not hesitate to book one again. The #1 reason is for the a/c, which really is nice when the weather gets too hot. The other reasons would be just the sheer indulgent luxury of it!

Also, a word to those who enjoyed the misters in the cabanas - they are no longer there. They've been replaced by a large fan. I don't know if they are planning to bring the misters back, but they were definitely absent when we were there last month. On the plus side, the upgraded furnishings are very nice and comfortable.

We had a family group of 6 adults & 2 teenagers and the cabana was worth every penny, just to have a place to meet up & leave things. The food and beverages for 4 was more than enough for us to share since the adults were getting drinks from the bar and only 4 of us used the snorkel equipment.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

Crystal – Serenity, December 10, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

We were in HMC in April and rented a Cabana with our friends, we barely used it. DH and I went back to HMC by ourselves in October and did not rent a cabana and did not miss it. We like to snorkel and play in the water, so there is not much time left for relaxing in a cabana.

Just back off the Eurodam last saturday and we were part of a group of 12 that rented the Oasis. We met on CC in advance but did not know each other. At the M&G we slowly got things together and I found the team. By the time friday rolled around most of us knew each other. By the time friday afternoon rolled around we knew each even better. We made a vow to met each friday in the Oasis. We had the Pinnacle grill chef and one of our favourite bar tenders RUDY on our side. The girls were great that looked after our every need. I know it is expensive but the $100.00 per person was well worth the effort. If you can book the Oasis and you will not be disappointed. The personal slide was well used. We came up with a game of who can outdo each other in antics. We also came up with a group slide of upto 6 at a time. The ages ranged from 25 to 75. Granted the drinks did help loosen up some but not all of us drank. The hot tub was kept busy and you never knew what was about to happen there. We felt the excitement. Colakid.

Last April my nephew and I had the yellow cabana.....loved it. We are sailing 11-29 and wanted another one. I called the TA and asked if she could check. There was only 1 for that day. There was a 3-way call between TA, HAL rep and myself so I could book the cabana (pink) and then the TA booked our cruise. So YES a cabana is very important. If a cabana had not been open then our date would have changed. I can leave my items there, it is a "stay" place that will be there when I return. It is just "my piece" of the island for the day ;) that noone else will invade. Unless I need to visit the restroom then I have no need to move :D

We visited HMC twice in the past 2 weeks and I was going t post about the cabannas anyway but will reply here.

We did not rent the cabanas or clamshell and would not do so in future.

The cabanas are very very overpriced in our view.

HMC is a beautifiul place. There is shade at the back of the beach if it's very sunny, just get there early. Failing that the clamshells provide shade if you need it at a much more realistic price.

If it rains go in the water or back to your ship!

If I rented a cabana I would want to spend all day in it to get my money's worth and would miss the other bits of the island, especially exploring the quieter bits of the beach.

The island BBQ is excellent and opens at 1130.

Save you money for something that gives better value.

Archived