getting a table at Portofino w/out reservation?

I've been watching the forum for a while...and there's seems to be a lot of preplanning going on... The only pre-planning I've really done for our first-ever cruise this month is the excursions at the ports of call. i've been kinda leaving the rest of what we do up in the air.

as a result of watching the forum, i've also learned that portofino's has good food and desserts. I really would like for us to try it. i prefer to NOT make reservations for dinner at portofino's because I just don't know what we'll be doing and don't want to tie us down to reservations.

So I'm posing a question to those that know more about cruising than I do. :)

Would it be possible for us to get a table for three at portofinos without prior reservations?

TIA for your response!

Would it be possible for us to get a table for three at portofinos without prior reservations?

You can give it a shot. If available, I'm sure they would accommodate. If you're feeling like Portofino at some point during the day, call for a reservation.

Your best chances for a last minuite reservation at Portofino are the first night of the cruise and the two formal nights. It also depends on how full the ship is. If the ship is fully booked, your chances may not be so good. If the ship is sailing lass than fully booked, your chances may be better. It never hurts to call the restaurant and ask.

Portofino is most definitely worth the experience, so do give it a try.

Your best chances for a last minuite reservation at Portofino are the first night of the cruise and the two formal nights.

HeavySuf, you bring up a good idea... it seems like it would be easier to eat at Portofino's on formal night.

Here's another question then.... is the food in the MDR any different on formal night? what's special about formal night? (forgive the first time cruiser question)... b/c if formal night really isnt any different/better than any other night, then we could probably do Portofino's for formal night.

You can give it a shot. If available, I'm sure they would accommodate. If you're feeling like Portofino at some point during the day, call for a reservation.

this is exactly what I was thinking when I first posted my question. Thanks lcguy

I don't know about walk-ups, but I have absolutely gotten a craving for Portofino and called late afternoon to see if they had availability for that night and gotten a time.

However! You do need to be prepared to eat probably earlier or later...you are not likely to get prime meal time unless you are lucky about a cancellation.

The problem with the walk up concept is availability. I can almost guarantee that at any given time there are empty tables. The issue is servers, they spread dinners over time so that those who are dinning get exceptional service. So,,,I’m sure you could walk up and make the request,,,I’m all sure they would say an opening is available later in the evening.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to walk up. Everytime I have dined at either Chops or Portofino it has been more than half empty. One time we were the only couple in the place. I do, however, make reservations while on board. Never had any problem getting the day and time I wanted. I think the reason it is less crowded on formal night is because they serve lobster in the MDR. Both restaurants are worth the added charge. The mushroom pasta, in Portofino, is to die for and my wife still talks about the dessert sampler.

We were able to get "last minute" reservations at Chops once. We looked at the MDR menu when we reboarded after a port stop. It didn't look that appealling so we called Chops around 4:30 to see if they had any openings. We could either take 6:30 or 9. We prefer 8, but since we were booking late, we went with the 9 seating.

My parents tried to get a last minute reservations at Portofinos on Jewel but were told that the seating was full that evening. They booked a reservation for another night that wasn't full. They didn't try just showing up to see if they could be seated so I don't know if they would have been seated.

Then you should expect a late seating. They will fill all the prime times early, but we have been at Portofino's on evening when the 8:45 or 9 pm walk ups were able to get a table!

Your first timer questions are invited! Bon Voyage!

Keep in mind that the speciality restaurants will fill up quickly, but you can wait to book on the ship. Usually, DH and I go down the first day and make our reservation for later in the week. We usually have an idea of what we will be doing and what day would be a nice time to get away from the MDR.

My husband and I are cruising for the very first time in two weeks on Radiance of the Seas, Mexican Riviera. We are SOOOOO excited. However, yesterday, I ran into a woman I know who said she sailed this ship to Alaska and the food in the main dining room was awful. Now, I'm worried. Can anyone tell me if the food on Radiance of the Seas is good? Thanks

My husband and I are cruising for the very first time in two weeks on Radiance of the Seas, Mexican Riviera. We are SOOOOO excited. However, yesterday, I ran into a woman I know who said she sailed this ship to Alaska and the food in the main dining room was awful. Now, I'm worried. Can anyone tell me if the food on Radiance of the Seas is good? Thanks

Food is very subjective. If you go in expecting gourmet 5 star quality food, you will be disappointed. I think the food is very good. It is not always great, but usually as good or better than what I am cooking at home or eating at fairly mid-priced restaurants. I have the attitude that I don't have to cook it, if I don't like it I can order something else, or I can order more if I love it! I don't have to clean up after myself. In my opinion, those things make the MDR great.

As you can see, I've spent 20 nights on the Radiance and will be spending 11 more Nov-Dec of this year. She is my favorite ship. Once in a while I find things I don't like in the Windjammer or on the menu in the Main Dining Room, however, awful??? I don't think so! There are some things I think the Radiance seems to do better than other RCI ships. Those are custards and anything with pork and the incredible french toast in the MDR in the morning. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed by the food.

Pamela

Tucson

The food on Radiance (Mexican Riviera) and especially in the Windjammer has been getting much better reviews lately! :D

On the other hand Portofino on Radiance-MR has been getting very poor reviews recently. Very slow service, lukewarm meals...bad enough that people have been comenting on the comment cards :(

We sail on Saturday, we haven't made any reservations at the specialty restaurants yet. If we decide to do so, it will probably be day of. And we wil probably book Chops. :)

this is exactly what I was thinking when I first posted my question. Thanks lcguy

You're welcome. I failed to mention a couple of things. Take a look at the MDR menus. If nothing looks good for you, then that's a good opportunity to go to Portofino. Also if you call for a reservation and they say they have either 6pm or 8:30pm only (curiously coincides with MDR dining times:rolleyes:) press them nicely for the time you desire. Chances are while you're on the phone, they will get a magical cancellation at that very time you asked for. :) Enjoy.

On the first day the Promenade has tickets and drawings for prizes.

DH won a certifiicate for Portifinos but it was for 1 person. We traveled with 4 people. Thought at least the raffle would be dinner for 2 but with RC cut backs it was a gift.

Tried to get reservations but the bad weather that cruise kept most people inside the ship. When we checked with Portifinos the only dinner time was 8:45 or later and we usually eat near 6 in MDR. So left the certificate in the room maybe for the next person. It wasn't dated....who knows.

I would suggest booking Portifinos and the ice show the first day as both were gone by the time we tried to get tickets or early reservations.

On the first day the Promenade has tickets and drawings for prizes.

DH won a certifiicate for Portifinos but it was for 1 person. We traveled with 4 people. Thought at least the raffle would be dinner for 2 but with RC cut backs it was a gift.

Tried to get reservations but the bad weather that cruise kept most people inside the ship. When we checked with Portifinos the only dinner time was 8:45 or later and we usually eat near 6 in MDR. So left the certificate in the room maybe for the next person. It wasn't dated....who knows.

I would suggest booking Portifinos and the ice show the first day as both were gone by the time we tried to get tickets or early reservations.

What a disappointment to not get to use your gift certificate! However, it was super nice of you to leave it in your cabin for the next people. Maybe someone will leave me a nice surprise like that on my next cruise!

You're welcome. I failed to mention a couple of things. Take a look at the MDR menus. If nothing looks good for you, then that's a good opportunity to go to Portofino. Also if you call for a reservation and they say they have either 6pm or 8:30pm only (curiously coincides with MDR dining times:rolleyes:) press them nicely for the time you desire. Chances are while you're on the phone, they will get a magical cancellation at that very time you asked for. :) Enjoy.

nice tip. thanks again!

We had pre-booked Portofino on our last Mariner cruise for what we thought would be a sea night. But when our cruise was re-routed from the Mexican Riviera to the Pacific Northwest because of Swine Flu that night ended up being our port stop in San Francisco.

We decided SF had too many great placed to eat, so we popped into Portofino the first day onboard and easily changed our reservation to another night with no problems.

Granted, I don't think the ship was full because it was early on in the whole Swine Flu redeploy thing and many people took advanted of the cancellation option... but the person at the Portofino desk told us they do leave a certain amount of space open for people to book on-board and day of, but the prime times do book first.

Archived