Atlantis - RCI/RCCL Mariner of the Seas - October 17, 2010 (10/17/2010)

SoBayJake

Some friends and I are booked on the Atlantis cruise, aboard Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas, October 17-24, 2010.

I didn't see a thread about this one yet, so figured it's never too early to start one!

My first Atlantis cruise, my friends are alumni.

I was on the Mariner this past September. I had an AWESOME time. I loved the ship, crew, and itinerary. I was on the ship when a storm was brewing and our Captain Per sailed around it and made all 3 ports! I thought the food was certainly ok but I did eat at Chops 3 times because we thought the food and service there was exceptional and well worth the small upcharge. We ate in the MDR most meals and avoided the buffet. We have never been on an Atlantis cruise but now we are very tempted to book this cruise.

And even though this was not a gay cruise in any way...I know the people around us and crew knew Jeff and I were together (legally married! we are from Boston). Not at any time were we made to feel uncomfortable. And we made friends with quite a few straight but not narrow couples and others who welcomed us to hang out with them on excursions.

Tom,

Thanks for your note. I had a lot of fun on the cruise. We had 2 days of really bad weather as we hit the outskirts of Hurricane Rick. Rain, high winds and high seas. It also rained all day in Puerto Vallarta but that didn't spoil the fun. We missed Mazatlan because of the hurricane.

I was very disappointed in the food. Very bland menus with little or no taste. Windjammer sucked. Pre-cooked hamburgers in a steamer! Yuck! The food in Chops and Portofino was very good and I ended up at those restaurants 3 nights.

If I don't get on the Asian cruise, I may join you on the Eurodam.

Would you mind sending me some suggestions for the Hong Kong to Singapore cruise?

I guess that I can leave my e-mail here, just hope that it doesn't get hacked.

hobie99 at the hotmail place.

Take care, Glenn

I can't believe you guys started a thread for this cruise already!! I've decided to do this cruise again in 2010 (just got back a few weeks ago from the last one)! The first time was a little overwhelming, but now that I know what to expect I think I'll have even a better time. That must be how they keep drawing people in year after year.

My friends and I really had a great time and met some great people, it really was fun despite what some people have said. I'm looking forward to starting the count down all over again and having something to look forward to. If any newbies have questions just let me know...I'm no longer a virgin and can share my experiences.

From the pre-booking brochure from Mariner 2009:

Los Angeles to Mexico Cruise

October 17-24, 2010

17 Oct: Los Angeles, depart 5:00 p.m.

18 Oct: At Sea

19 Oct: At Sea

20 Oct: Puerto Vallarta, arrive 12 p.m., depart 2:00 a.m. (overnight)

21 Oct: Mazatlan, arrive 1:00 p.m., depart 8:00 p.m.

22 Oct: Cabo San Lucas, arrive 9:00 a.m., depart 4:00 p.m.

23 Oct: At Sea

24 Oct: Los Angeles, arrive 7:00 a.m.

I see no disclaimer about the itinerary being preliminary or subject to change.

I don't know how this itinerary compares to Mariner 2009. With the hurricane spanking our schedule, nobody knew where we were or what day it was... though most of us probably didn't care.

I see no disclaimer about the itinerary being preliminary or subject to change.

All cruises, though, have a disclaimer about changing ports, due to weather, etc. It might not be in the brochure, but it is always subject to change, even once the voyage starts.

All cruises, though, have a disclaimer about changing ports, due to weather, etc. It might not be in the brochure, but it is always subject to change, even once the voyage starts.

Yup, and I believe it's also disclaimed in the cruise contract. We know first-hand how weather can impact an itinerary (Hurricane Rick). My guess is that the lack of an explicit disclaimer in the brochure means no more planned changes to the itinerary, which makes sense, since Mariner is scheduled for Mexican Riviera cruises the week before and after.

The Venice and Athens cruises, up until the Atlantis e-mail yesterday, were published as "preliminary" and "subject to change" -- which they did, both in ports and days.

Great to have finally a lot of feedback from the Atlantis guys here on CC.

For those who also did the RSVP Caribbean, how did it compare to the Mexican cruise? Better, different etc etc???

Reint

Yup, and I believe it's also disclaimed in the cruise contract. We know first-hand how weather can impact an itinerary (Hurricane Rick). My guess is that the lack of an explicit disclaimer in the brochure means no more planned changes to the itinerary, which makes sense, since Mariner is scheduled for Mexican Riviera cruises the week before and after.

The Venice and Athens cruises, up until the Atlantis e-mail yesterday, were published as "preliminary" and "subject to change" -- which they did, both in ports and days.

For those who also did the RSVP Caribbean, how did it compare to the Mexican cruise? Better, different etc etc???

Reint

I did both cruises. I definitely have some opinions on the differences, and I'll post them later tonight. In short summary, take a look at my signature and see if there's a pattern :p

I did both cruises. I definitely have some opinions on the differences, and I'll post them later tonight. In short summary, take a look at my signature and see if there's a pattern :p

Ok Woofie, out with it, why do you like Atlantis so much and how do you people have the time to do so many cruises? I had to guard my work calendar for six months to make sure nothing was scheduled just so I could go in October. I already marked it off for 2010 just so I'll stick with the commitment and so I can say, 'sorry, I'll be away that week'.

Sorry, I tried to write up comparisons, but I can't seem to do it without sounding unfair to RSVP and its clients.

I did enjoy the Eurodam cruise, but I didn't care too much for the ship. She was elegant, but that made her seem too serious and less fun-oriented. Her ceilings felt low and claustrophobic. The deck views were blocked by the cabanas, and it was hard to lurk at the parties because they were always at the very aft, with limited upper areas to look over.

I'm also getting way off topic, so I'm going to shut up now.

Ok Woofie, out with it, why do you like Atlantis so much and how do you people have the time to do so many cruises? I had to guard my work calendar for six months to make sure nothing was scheduled just so I could go in October. I already marked it off for 2010 just so I'll stick with the commitment and so I can say, 'sorry, I'll be away that week'.

3 weeks of vacation == 3 cruises per year :D Sorry, no time for family, too busy cruising! Except for Facebook, I haven't seen my family since last Christmas... LOL.

You've experienced the Atlantis Cruise, so you know why we love them and why there are so many repeaters. Your cruise mates become your friends and family.

Sorry, I tried to write up comparisons, but I can't seem to do it without sounding unfair to RSVP and its clients.

I did enjoy the Eurodam cruise, but I didn't care too much for the ship. She was elegant, but that made her seem too serious and less fun-oriented. Her ceilings felt low and claustrophobic. The deck views were blocked by the cabanas, and it was hard to lurk at the parties because they were always at the very aft, with limited upper areas to look over.

I'm also getting way off topic, so I'm going to shut up now.

Interesting point of view. I did one Atlantis cruise but it was within a week after my Dad died, so looking back it's all a bit of a blur and I didn't enjoy it. That had nothing to do with Atlantis, just personal circumstances.

So that's why I went on RSVP to give gay cruising another fresh start. I liked the RSVP crowd a lot which seems to be a bit more socially orientated, less part focused than Atlantis. I actually starting considering taking a RSVP cruise by getting to know the cruise critic boys on here.

The parties are really good fun, but less spectacular than Atlantis. I liked the fact there seem to be no druggy boys around on RSVP.

You are right about the Eurodam. I simply do not like the HAL ships and their drab atmosphere. These ships are really designed for the shady pines crowd. RSVP seem to have a good deal with now even Atlantis start using them. A friend asked me to come along on the Solstice Caribbean but I was already booked on RSVP. Would love to go back to Celebrity again.

3 weeks of vacation == 3 cruises per year :D Sorry, no time for family, too busy cruising! Except for Facebook, I haven't seen my family since last Christmas... LOL.

You've experienced the Atlantis Cruise, so you know why we love them and why there are so many repeaters. Your cruise mates become your friends and family.

Wow, I have six weeks of vacation a year...I could do a lot of cruises if I did what you did. Unfortunately, most of the cruise dates are not cohesive with when I really need to be at work...and I'd go broke doing that many cruises. But I know what you mean...only 339 days until my next cruise, I've convinced myself that it will be here before I know it.

Wow, I have six weeks of vacation a year...I could do a lot of cruises if I did what you did. Unfortunately, most of the cruise dates are not cohesive with when I really need to be at work...and I'd go broke doing that many cruises. But I know what you mean...only 339 days until my next cruise, I've convinced myself that it will be here before I know it.

Credit cards, baby! If I had six weeks of vacation, I would be at 18 cruises by now! Had I discovered cruising before 2007... well, I'd be in big trouble!

Credit cards, baby! If I had six weeks of vacation, I would be at 18 cruises by now! Had I discovered cruising before 2007... well, I'd be in big trouble!

Throw your credit cards my way and I'll be happy to do more cruises, heck you can even come along if you want.

Archived