Atlantis - RCI/RCCL Mariner of the Seas - October 17, 2010 (10/17/2010)

SoBayJake

signed up for the cruise while we were onboard. we had no issue with food - but then again, we ate at chops 1 night and portofino 3 nights - the other night we had room service followed by 1 night at johnny rockets, never went to the main dining room except for brunch a couple of days (this imo was very good) - - - there is plenty of food onboard and surprised so many complained - im sure no-one went hungry, again imo - this was one of the better service/food cruises i have been on with atlantis&royal caribbean......

the weather u cannot change, and it was what it was, but gave u a chance to relax as well - parties were amazing, did not attend much entertainment on board, but thought that the guest star was lacking, usually we look forward to the headliners but again this is not why we went on the cruise, we had an amazing time and just went with the flow - as this is the cocktail for a great vacation, if u cant change it, why stress over it....

• 2 months later...

think we are gonna sign up for this one, our first atlantis cruise! hope the crowd is as friendly as on the 3 rsvp cruises we've been on. the last two have been with holland america so we're looking forward to a change of cruiseline anyhow!

anyone know if there's any chance of discounts atm? any magic words that might get us one?! we were thinking of a promenade interior stateroom on deck 7. they look like a nice compromise on view/price. any thoughts?

so excited! it looks like such a beautiful ship! :D

If any newbies have questions just let me know...I'm no longer a virgin and can share my experiences.

Atlantis Mexico cruise will be the first cruise my partner and I have taken. Anything you can tell us about what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This will be my first Atlantis cruise as well as first time to Mexico (other than walking across to Tijuana many years ago). Have been on RSVP cruises before (including their first - what great fun!). Decided this cruise would be an early birthday present to me. Upgraded to (per this forum) an excellent class D1 cabin - much larger cabin and balcony than standard.

Have not settled on a cabinmate as of yet - most people cannot plan a vacation so far in advance. Luckily don't have to supply the name until almost departure date!

Sailing from LA will be so much easier that East Coast - no worry about flight delays - just whether to drive and park or take shuttle/cab!

Anyone arriving via the Long Beach airport (jetBlue)? Within walking distance from my house and generally less of a madhouse than LAX.

I can't believe you guys started a thread for this cruise already!! I've decided to do this cruise again in 2010 (just got back a few weeks ago from the last one)! The first time was a little overwhelming, but now that I know what to expect I think I'll have even a better time. That must be how they keep drawing people in year after year.

My friends and I really had a great time and met some great people, it really was fun despite what some people have said. I'm looking forward to starting the count down all over again and having something to look forward to. If any newbies have questions just let me know...I'm no longer a virgin and can share my experiences.

Markit,

I would be interested to hear what your experiences have been with Atlantis. I have been considering taking an Atlantis cruise but since I've never been on one I'm afraid I might be getting into more than I bargained for. I'm definitely looking to have fun but I also enjoy just relaxing by the pool and getting some sun.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Unless it is a late April Fool's joke or something, the current prices on the Atlantis Website (http://http://www.atlantisevents.com/cruises_2010_mexico_pricing.aspx) show decreases of $100/pp or more in most cabin classes (and the Additional Guest dropped $300). The Port Fees are up $20 to $210).

Their "Fair Rate Guarantee" on back of Confirmation page states you have a choice of a refund or upgrade to cabin class matching what your original rate.

From another older thread (10/2009) on this board, a post was made stating that Atlantis will NOT automatically give you a refund - you must contact them and ask for it. Anyone have more recent experience?

Sorry guys, I decided not to go on this one in exchange for the 20th anniversary cruise on Allure. If I wasn't doing that, then I would definitely be on this cruise again. You can get a little bit of everything from relaxing at the pool...just remember everyone is relaxing at the pool too, to dancing until the sun comes up. Lots and lots of stuff to do. My advice is to realize that you can't do everything so just settle on the stuff you want to do and make the most of that. I do recommend going to the tea dances, everyone seemed to be there and it was always a blast, everyone is in a good mood and you get the sense that we're just really a big family, which is why I think we continue to make Atlantis cruises so successful. Sooooooo, just jump in, have fun, meet lots of people, and bring costumes for the parties, it made it a whole lot more fun; it's about getting into the spirit. Let me know if you have questions, I'd be happy to share.

Good to hear! With the drop in the additional passenger fee down to $399 ($683 w/fees), it makes having friends join in the fun tempting (my D1 cabin sleeps 4). Albeit, sharing 1 bathroom among 3-4 guys won't be a picnic :eek:.

• 2 weeks later...
This will be my first Atlantis cruise as well as first time to Mexico (other than walking across to Tijuana many years ago). Have been on RSVP cruises before (including their first - what great fun!). Decided this cruise would be an early birthday present to me. Upgraded to (per this forum) an excellent class D1 cabin - much larger cabin and balcony than standard.

Have not settled on a cabinmate as of yet - most people cannot plan a vacation so far in advance. Luckily don't have to supply the name until almost departure date!

Sailing from LA will be so much easier that East Coast - no worry about flight delays - just whether to drive and park or take shuttle/cab!

Anyone arriving via the Long Beach airport (jetBlue)? Within walking distance from my house and generally less of a madhouse than LAX.

Hey there, we're also heading on our first Atlantis Cruise on and on the same Aft deck. Should be a great cruise, we're really looking forward to it.

Would love to hear of any first time advice you might come across...

Cheers

Stu & Daren

Talked a friend from NYC into joining me and booked him on jetBlue #209 on Sat 10/16 when I saw the fare was $106 (it is now $200). Have not settled on return flight. Fares often drop after the summer so hope that happens. Maybe I should offer a shuttle service from LGB to hotel/port - maybe for 1 "Drink of the Day" per passenger?

Prices have dropped a bit more on some Balcony Stateroom categories per the current Atlantis webpage - and are now called "Early Booking Rate thru 5/31". Will save another $50/pp on my D1 but D3 fell $90/pp (and lost its *Share but that could be just a typo).

For you Atlantis regulars, is this typical price change activity for Atlantis or perhaps a sign that sales are not a brisk as they planned? I suspect many guys are saving their vacation dollars for the sold-out 2011 Allure cruise but what do I know.

Well, it's not unprecedented for Atlantis to offer discounts, etc. on their cruises. It's all depends on how booking levels are being achieved. IMO I think a lot of folks probably decided to wait and do the Allure 2011 cruise instead of the Mexico cruise this year. Since the Allure is now sold out this might help sell the 2010 summer and Mexico cruise. The special is available thru 5/31 so let's see if it stimulates bookings. I did the Mexico 2009 cruise and booked it in July and there were plenty of rooms available. I met someone on board who booked it last minute and got on board; however, the ship did sailed at capacity. This is a very popular cruise for people on the west coast. I thinking about doing this cruise again. $399 for 3rd/4th person is not a bad deal; however, $210 for port tax is outrageous. Part of this is for the "gay tax." My brother and his wife are leaving on this ship tomorrow and are only being charged $56pp for port tax. Just calling it like I see it.

Prices have dropped a bit more on some Balcony Stateroom categories per the current Atlantis webpage - and are now called "Early Booking Rate thru 5/31". Will save another $50/pp on my D1 but D3 fell $90/pp (and lost its *Share but that could be just a typo).

For you Atlantis regulars, is this typical price change activity for Atlantis or perhaps a sign that sales are not a brisk as they planned? I suspect many guys are saving their vacation dollars for the sold-out 2011 Allure cruise but what do I know.

That's good news, might even go for a balcony room now, do you think they are worth it?

That's good news, might even go for a balcony room now, do you think they are worth it?

From reading posts on these boards and just the 1 time when I sailed with a balcony, having one seems to be important if (a) a window-less Inside is scary for you, or (b) you, at least sometimes, enjoy being away from the crowds on-deck/around the pool and can relax by watching the ocean float by (or maybe it's the ship that is floating by the ocean:)).

(b) is my personal choice provided the weather is nice, you have refreshments on hand and, perhaps best of all, someone with whom to share it;). Many folks think of the cabin as just a place to shower and change between parties, meals, port excursions, etc. So, as always, YMMV.

Well, it's not unprecedented for Atlantis to offer discounts, etc. on their cruises. It's all depends on how booking levels are being achieved. IMO I think a lot of folks probably decided to wait and do the Allure 2011 cruise instead of the Mexico cruise this year. Since the Allure is now sold out this might help sell the 2010 summer and Mexico cruise. The special is available thru 5/31 so let's see if it stimulates bookings. I did the Mexico 2009 cruise and booked it in July and there were plenty of rooms available. I met someone on board who booked it last minute and got on board; however, the ship did sailed at capacity. This is a very popular cruise for people on the west coast. I thinking about doing this cruise again. $399 for 3rd/4th person is not a bad deal; however, $210 for port tax is outrageous. Part of this is for the "gay tax." My brother and his wife are leaving on this ship tomorrow and are only being charged $56pp for port tax. Just calling it like I see it.

Could the vast difference in Port Tax be due to it being a Charter -vs- a Standard cruise? Maybe RCI gets a "quantity discount" since it has 50+/year but the charter company just 1/year? This thinking only works if Atlantis pays the Port Tax directly to the various port authorities. Just a thought....

I loved booking balaconies, but if I want to cruise more often, then I need a cheaper option, so last year I started booking interiors (ended up with a promenade on Liberty). It worked out well and I'm able to cruise again next month (on Liberty again). My other thoughts, when I booked a suite, we felt like we needed to spend time in it to get our money's worth. But, it was very nice to do and if I am ever rich I would definitely go that way. It very much depends on what you want to do. I don't spend alot of time in my cabin so it works for me. I have a promenade booked for next month and for this cruise in October. The Oct cruise will be my 9th cruise.

A question to C&A members, does this cruise count as a credit for Royal Caribbean?

Hobie - I'm over in East Long Beach, near the airport (but not under the flight path - I may be crazy but I'm not stupid!). Once we have our RCI booking numbers from Atlantis, maybe we should try to do an official "CC Meet & Mingle" - or does no one bother on an Atlantis cruise?

Yes, RCL does count this cruise for the C & A society even though it's a charter. You can even use credits earned though their Visa card or stock ownership for an OB credit.

Thanks, that's nice to know:) That means by the end of the year I will have 8!

Archived