Atlantis - RCI/RCCL Mariner of the Seas - October 17, 2010 (10/17/2010)

SoBayJake

Hi, this will be my first time cruising. I'm wondering what the must see things to do in each port are -- if there is one? Are all the ports basically the same or do they each offer something unique. I've been to P.V. before and have done the beach/blue chairs thing, must there must be more.

Glad to see an active thready already!

(Jake -- we need to get Jimmy/Scott/Wayne/you/Albert/etc.) to go to Chops one night. Had dinner on it last year with another group of friends ... the food was amazing!)

Hey there - hello from another first timer (to Atlantis and to cruising!). My partner and I finally nailed it down and made our booking today. We're looking forward to it!

Any advice on what time we should be at the port? We're debating either flying into LA on Saturday, then not much to do while we wait on Sunday morning, or just flying in direct from Toronto and going straight from LAX to the port.

Looking forward to it all!

Don

Toronto

While some say flying in same day has been OK in their experience, the possibility of a flight delay (weather, mechanical, luggage) is just too great for many (me included). Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there will likely be pre-cruise events at local bars/restaurants/hotels that will ensure you are not bored on Sat night. Also, by flying in the day before, you get a chance to rest and adjust to time change and arrive at the port (around 1 PM perhaps?) fully refreshed, stress-free and ready for a great vacation. Just my $0.02.....

Thanks! The chance to be rested and a little more adjusted to the time zone was exactly our reasoning in the end (that and the fear of missing luggage!). I was pretty sure we wouldn't enjoy the first night on the cruise as much if we'd been up since 4:00 EST.

Although I wasn't actually so much thinking being bored on Saturday night as ending up haning around Sunday morning with nothing to do but anticipate!

My plans for Sunday morning are to (a) sleep late; (b) shower & dress; © go out for a good breakfast/brunch so won't be starving when get onboard [many folks seem to rush to the WJ buffet right after boarding sorta like a plague of locusts]; (d) head for port about noon. Atlantis says to not show up until 1pm or so to avoid long lines but waiting-is-waiting whether at home/hotel or in line with 3,000+ of your soon-to-be closest friends.:D

And, BTW, the folks who run Atlantis411 have finally added this cruise to their website so that's another possible place where you can learn of your fellow cruisers (is it a no-no to mention other sites?)

Welcome Aboard!

I've never heard of Atlantis411 before - thanks!

My partner did read somewhere that people get there really to launch themselves at the buffet. I like your plan of eating first better! Seems to me there will be plenty of buffet opportunities in the week after. :D

• 1 month later...

Bump. Slight change to Atlantis price page - it seems all but Junior Suites are sold out in the Suite category. Also, the guys who run the Atlantis411.net site have (finally) updated the MR Who's Going page - 9 so far. Don't forget to add yourself to the list.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, It's July 17 (gay pride parade in San Diego today). That means in three months on October 17, 23 will be boarding Mariner of the Seas.

Getting closer and closer to our Mexican Riviera adventure.

I look forward to meeting you guys in 3 months.

Well, Monday is Final Payment Day and it seems at least one cruiser has opted to take the cancellation penalty and spare his (her?) credit card: the Grand Suite category changed from SOLD OUT to LIMITED sometime yesterday on the Atlantis website.

Still hoping for a 2-for-1 promotion on this cruise so a cash-poor friend of mine can join in the fun. Can only wait and see what the Atlantis folks decide. Suspect if it happens at all, it won't be until after the 60 day mark.

For all you previous Mexico cruisers, are they usually some special events targeted to Atlantis pax the night before sailing at the bars/restaurants in the area? Any particular way to find such? Or just start checking the usual ad sources a few weeks before 10/17?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I went on the Liberty cruise earlier this year in Jan and absolutely loved it. I'm also planning on going on the Allure in Feb next year as well, with a whole group of friends. I think I'm the only one crazy enough in desire to go on another one!!

I (originally from California now living in Ohio...) need to have something to look forward to before then especially with the terrible weather in the midwest, so why not book another one!

So here's my callout for anyone that's looking for a cabinmate or knows of someone needing one as well since like I said, most of my friends aren't as crazy as me going on two! Always up for meeting new people and being around "family"!

I love dancing until the sun comes up, running back to the room to get sunglasses!

Send me an e-mail!!

gotjelloh@gmail.com

http://www.facebook.com/gotjelloh

Do you think they will do anymore special offers on this, i have already booked though>?

Since the second 2-for-1 promotion on the Athens-Barcelona cruise was "Valid for new reservations only" my hopes for a deal on my existing reservation are lowered. (The deal also was "2nd cabin for $500/pp" rather than straight-out "free"). Although every day that goes by with no cabin categories changing from Available to Limited or Sold Out would seem to indicate sales are sluggish. (or maybe whoever keeps their website up-to-date is on vacation :D.

We're planning to fly in to LAX on Saturday. Can't decide whether to stay in West Hollywood or near the port. Any recommendations?

Also, any idea where the "pre-cruise" events will be?

Well, there's nothing much around the port regarding night life. West Hollywood and the pier (San Pedro) are no where near each other and would require an expensive taxi between each other. My recommendation to get a taxi/shuttle to West Hollywood on Saturday. About 40 mins from LAX. The West Hollywood Ramada is within walking distant to all the bars (three blocks or so) and right on Santa Monica Blvd. The more upscale London Hotel on Sunset is two long blocks up from the bars and has really nice views of West Hollywood and is right in the heart of the Sunset Strip. You can then get a shuttle to the pier on Sunday. There isn't much traffic on Sunday so you should get to the pier within 45 mins or so. Last year they had the pre cruise events at the upstairs lounge at Micky's. If they do have something again this year I would assume it would at some bar in West Hollywood.

I second the suggestion to stay at The London hotel as it is a very impressive way to start the cruise. I had to practically use a crowbar to pry my other half out of the wonderfully luxurious bed on Sunday last year. We are going to book there again for this year's cruise since he threatened me with bodily harm if he didn't get to sleep in that bed again . . . However DO NOT eat at the Gordon Ramsey restaurant at the hotel as it is overpriced, pretentious and somewhat inedible food--our friends treated us to the tasting menu last year and we were highly disappointed, especially with one course of sea urchin which even the wait staff kind of smirked at.

I second the suggestion for staying at The London hotel as this is a wonderfully luxurious place to start your cruise vacation. I practically had to pry my other half out of the bed with a crowbar last year and his only concern this year is that he gets to sleep in one of those beds again. However DO NOT eat at the Gordon Ramsey restaurant at the hotel as it is horribly overpriced, pretentious and somewhat inedible food. Last year our friends treated us to an extremely expensive dinner here and we couldn't even eat one course--sea urchin--and even the wait staff smirked when we asked if they secretly chowed down on the stuff in the kitchen . . .

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

We've been considering the Ramada, but hadn't heard of the London Hotel. Wow. Beautiful!

The two hotels in San Pedro we were looking at are the Doubletree and the Crowne Plaza. Both have free shuttles to the port and are like 5 mins away. Has anyone stayed at either of these for a pre-cruise?

Not sure if we'll do the pre-party or not, but glad to hear it will probably be in West Hollywood. We weren't sure if they'd have anything in Long Beach or something.

Yes, RCL does count this cruise for the C & A society even though it's a charter. You can even use credits earned though their Visa card or stock ownership for an OB credit.

You've been able to get the stock ownership credit ?!? They wouldn't give it to me ...

The two hotels in San Pedro we were looking at are the Doubletree and the Crowne Plaza. Both have free shuttles to the port and are like 5 mins away. Has anyone stayed at either of these for a pre-cruise?

Not sure if we'll do the pre-party or not, but glad to hear it will probably be in West Hollywood. We weren't sure if they'd have anything in Long Beach or something.

Hey all ... I live here in Long Beach. No one stays in San Pedro, unless they are flying in to LAX the night before.

Here's some notes that I posted in last year's forum (with a few updates):

LB NIGHTLIFE:

Most of the 'active' crowds ;) are generally up in WeHo on a Saturday night.

If you're staying in LB, you're probably staying in downtown.

Hamburger Mary's is closest to downtown. They have shows on Saturday nights (sometimes a cover).

The "Broadway Corridor" is a bunch of neighborhood bars that would require a little more walking -- but still walkable. Most are very small. The Mineshaft and the Brit are medium sized.

Let's face it: with so many people departing on the ship the next day, any bar should be full of gay boys (even the hotel bar :D).

GETTING TO THE PORT:

Someone mentioned staying in WeHo, dropping off their rental car at LAX, and taking a $65+ taxi down to the Port.

Two problems with taking a taxi from LAX:

1. Cost: $65+

2. Logistics:

On the morning of your cruise:

- Put luggage in car

- Take luggage out of car at off-site car rental facility

- Put luggage on shuttle bus

- Take luggage off shuttle bus

- Take luggage down escalator

- Put luggage into taxi

- Take luggage out of taxi at Port

That's way too much heavy lifting for me ... I only want to be lifting flavorful beverages on vacation! :D

Here are some better options:

ENTERPRISE:

1. Drop off your Husband (I can say that again in Calif!) and all of luggage at the Port.

2. Drive to the Enterprise location in San Pedro -- office closes at 12 noon!

3. Walk 1 mile down hill to the Port with nothing in your hands.

4. Have Hubby introduce you to all of the new friends he met in the waiting area.

5. Eat lunch aboard ship.

AVIS, BUDGET, HERTZ:

1. Drop off your bulky check luggage at the Port earlier in the day.

2. Drive to downtown LB for lunch or walking around. Eat at the Pike, Pine Ave., or along Ocean Blvd.

3. Drop your rental car off in downtown LB on Ocean Blvd. (Hertz: drop off only, office closed)

4. Walk to the Westin, Renaissance, Hyatt, or Hilton hotels, whichever is closest to your rental car company.

5a. Wait near the hotel taxi-stand and bum a ride with someone else.

5b. Take an $18 taxi ride to the Port ... with no worry about squishing your luggage into the taxi.

NATIONAL, ALAMO:

1. Drop off your bulky check luggage at the Port.

2. Drive to LGB Airport to turn in rental car - an 'on airport' location.

3. Take a $39 taxi ride to the Port.

This will be much cheaper and much less stressful ... as you can have a relaxing morning/afternoon in downtown LB.

Approx taxi prices ...

Downtown Long Beach ~$18

LGB airport ~$39

LAX airport ~$65

WeHo ~$75

SNA airport ~$90 (not SAN!)

BUR airport ~$105

Anaheim (Disneyland Area) ~$110

ONT airport ~$150

PSP airport ~$350

=-=-=-=-=-

Feel free to drop me a line for info on the rest ... golf_david@yahoo.com

See you there!

We're staying in Long Beach (Hotel Maya - my partner likes trying out different hotels). Planning a wander around Long Beach the evening before, a quick visit to the Aquarium of the Pacific in the morning, then a cab to the Port in the afternoon.

David, roughly how long does a cab to the Port take from Long Beach?

Thanks!

Don

Archived